View Single Post
Old 15-02-2011, 15:37   #145
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I agree that it is not for the Government , national or local , to spend money helping people to celebrate William and Kate's wedding .

I will enjoy the event , mostly through TV , and I might raise a glass or two to toast the happy couple , but it will be at my expense .

I admire the Queen and I think William is making a good start on his way to becoming King .

I won't comment on Charles .
That's perfectly fine, and like any other youngle couple setting out on their married lives together, most of us will wish them well.

This is about unnecessary costs.

For instance if there's a budget already set aside for bedding plants, I'm sure only the churlish would disagree with the plan to have a red, white, and blue colour scheme. Not collecting fees for road closures, because of street parties, again no real finacial cost to the tax payer. No problem.

As it stands, we have ardent royalists voting no, they don't want their taxes spent on local civic celebrations. Sentiments which seem to echo the thoughts of the couple themselves. That the wedding should be relatively low key, and excess and extravagance should be kept to a minimum, because of the dire state of the UK economy, and the savage cuts we are beginning to see.

Yet Hyndburn plans to mark the occasion with majestic pomp and pageanty, topped off by exploding fireworks. Which the majority of those who'll pay for it seem disinterested or apathetic about, to say the least. Whilst others are very angry.

Last edited by garinda; 15-02-2011 at 15:39.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote