Thread: The Tories
View Single Post
Old 19-05-2011, 18:57   #70
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Here's a better idea...if they plead guilty they get the full sentence. If they plead innocent and are later found guilty, they get their sentence doubled.

That is a good idea, but I have a better one....it just isn't suitable to put on a family site....but it involves a blunt knife and no anaesthetic....and I guess it would be very bloody.

John, I appreciate what he was trying to say......but that wasn't the message that was heard, and it was insensitively worded.It was like he was talking to some other man in a gentlemans bar room....and he sounded very dismissive of the woman who challenged his perceptions of rape.
Rape is always serious....and should be treated as such.
No one will ever say that there is a less serious murder....murder is murder......rape is rape.

Many women do not come forward because they feel, firstly, that they will not be believed, and secondly, they will have to suffer the humiliation and trauma of reliving those events.

Then on top of that, there has, in the past, been situations where the women bringing these cases have had their intimate personal lives picked over by barristers...almost as if they invited the sexual attack.....like somehow they were to blame.......the clothes they were wearing are discussed...etc.
When a woman says NO to sexual advances........it does mean NO......not maybe........it isn't just something a woman will do the enhance the chase, as some men believe.

The apology you talk of, was very muted and did not(in my opinion - for what that is worth) seem genuine.
It seemed to me to be more of a media salve to keep his lucrative post.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-05-2011 at 18:59. Reason: to add a point
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote