View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00   #492
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn's New Tourist Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Funny you should mention Izal Ken. Izal was once produced in Ossy, by a firm called Hygiene Supplies, the Firm was owned by a chap called Herbert Walsh and the factory was on Stonebridge Lane, my mother worked their until the place shut in I would think the mid sixties when the soft toilet paper was beginning to take off and with this guy being in his 70s he decided to close down as he could afford the new machinery that was needed to compete in the new market although Izal was still being used in Hospitals until I would think the 90s, Mind you Izal wasn't the only toilet tissue made by that firm I think the must have made around 70 different rolls of Toilet paper, well the same paper with different labels, at one time they employed about 25 women and 2 men
Soft loo roll only took off round here when you didn't have to run down the backyard to the long-drop, or the tippler.

Our damp weather conditions may have been good for working cotton, but was no good for tissue kept in an outside privy.

Unlike the impervious Izal, which remained hard and scratchy whatever the weather.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote