View Single Post
Old 20-07-2011, 21:22   #10
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Where have all the graves gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejoed View Post
Whether the corpses were removed or not the Headstones most definitely have been and these were historical evidences that should have remained at the church. I understand there was quite a huge memorial headstone dedicated to Robert Hargreaves, one of the major benefactors to Christchurch and its day school.

I will scan the newspaper clipping that I have that reports the exhumation of the corpses at St James and their transferral to Christchurch. It also states that most were in good repair with the exception of Thomas Hargreaves', whose coffin was re-shelled and left where it was in the vault.
There is nothing in the Christ Church burial records, to show any remains transferred from other places.
Atarah has pictures of Christ Church grave yard when all the grave markers were still in place, there was hardly room between graves, in fact some of the burials of young children, are shown as between known graves.
The last burial in Christ Church was in Nov 1966, Justin Wenter ex Vicar of the church.
During the 1950's there were only 10 burials + 2 cremated remains, & only 3 in the 1960's.
The grave yard was then closed for any further burials.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 20-07-2011 at 21:26. Reason: spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote