View Single Post
Old 26-10-2004, 10:54   #7
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Primrose Mill, Church

there are just two points which I find puzzling.Firstly, why the caption, "Primrose Mill Church"?

Perhaps the caption was added to the plate many years later therefore the name of the bride etc. would not be known.

The second point is that in this period pictures were taken on glass by professional photographers; the Kodak brownie had yet to be invented. While I've seen lots of amateur pictures taken by people fooling around at work, this is the work of a professional, and I'm not aware of any pictures taken by professionals inside mills

Taken by professionals or, rich amateurs, it might just be that the mill owner was trying out his latest & expensive hobby & saw the gathering as an Ideal subject for his latest technology?

Or maybe we've got the image of the rich, greedy, nineteenth-century millowner all wrong; that they were in fact, a fun loving lot who would find any excuse for stopping the looms, having a party and bringing in the Church papparazzi to record the fact.

It's at this point Tea that you remind me of the Monty Python sketch about the Spanish inquisition, "There are two, two, points Ifind puzzling, sorry, three, three points I find puzzling"

There had to be exceptions to every rule which would include Mill Owners!

Last edited by Less; 26-10-2004 at 10:56.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote