View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 18:13   #2
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington - Weekend tourist destination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The cuts are begining to be felt in Hyndburn.

Had to call in to the Town Hall today.

Wanted to check our charity's cupboard, and couldn't see the caretaker, so asked in the tourist information centre if the alarm would be on upstairs.

Got chatting.

It seems the cuts mean the Town Hall will now be closed to the public at the weekends, including the tourist information centre, and will only be staffed (by a caretaker) if someone pays to hire it.

I'm not saying money hasn't to be saved, because of the cuts we're having to endure, but it does seem odd to close the town's only tourist information centre at the weekend.

If staffing hours need to be cut, why these particular hours?

Why not close Mondays, for example, when there's probably less visitors to the town?

When I'm there, for our Parkinson's support group meetings, held on Saturdays, there seems to be a high footfall in the information centre, and it appears to be a well used facility.

It does seem shortsighted to close the tourist information centre at the weekend, when it's likely to be well used by visitors to the town.

How many tourists does Accrington get Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm?

A daft decision, to my way of thinking.
I think they could shut the toilets on Peel street on none market days to save a bit of brass

Okay I'll get mi coat