View Single Post
Old 29-10-2011, 11:19   #16
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Good morning all.

JCB, I wonder how all those small businesses made a living but they must have done. Five bakers/confectioners in my area, we must have eaten a lot of cakes/pies! As far as I know Miss Caufield had nothing to do with dancing. She was the proprietor/headmistress of Central Preparatory School, a private school which must have been going sometime as I'm sure she taught my dad. She was like many headmistresses quite fearsome but fair. If I remember right she had short white hair, with a blue rinse. She lived on Owen Street and retired in the 60s I think. The school was quite academic - we read Macbeth in our final year! with a heavy emphasis on mental arithmetic and multiplication tables, probably like all schools in those days.

Retlaw, that's the first time anyone's called me an oik. Can't have been me throwing things over your wall, I was far too small and weedy in those days. Still am!

Littlepom your mention of drinking Vimto brings back other memories. Having lived down south for many years,they just don't get it, especially hot Vimto, nothing nicer on a cold day. Also Vimto lollies. For some time on my visits to Accy I would go to Trickett's cafe in the market hall and have pie and peas and a hot Vimto just to readjust to the north. Haven't been in the market hall since the refurb but I expect the cafe sare all poshed up now. At least being in Morecambe now, they know what Vimto is.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web