View Single Post
Old 31-10-2011, 14:25   #48
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The pleck was what everyone called the road/path that ran from whalley rd right across from percys chippy, down to Bull Bridge, the Australian Inn was at the bottom right hand side, top right by whalley rd was the methodist church, hope that explains it?
You/ve got me interested now as I've never heardt that name before. I've been doing some digging in earlier threads and also got out my Accrington OS map of 1912 which has street names on it.

Bob Dobson says the Pleck was Kenyon Street and you said in another thread that you thought it was Weir Street because that'where the Australian was (I remember it well). My map shows Kenyon Street starting from Whalley Road on the south side of the Methodist church and opposite the end of Maudsley Street as you say the corner where
Percy's chippy was.

Weir Street isn't named on the map but I think that's because it was too short. I seem to remember it was just the bit where the Australian was, opposite the weir at Bull Bridge. Most of that area was redeveloped while I was a long way from Accy and I still find it hard to find my way around it now. Whalley Road is a shadow of its former self, so scruffy, used to feel quite different.

Looking at the map there are a couple of street names I had never heard of. Mole Street starts on Whalley Road at the north side of the methodist church and seems to run in to the back of the Australian, and Mary Ann Street ran off Castle Street behind the Castle pub towards the viaduct. Both news to me.

This photo shows the part of Whalley Road we are talking about. The building on the bottom left behind the boys must be the church and the house just before it must be on the corner of Mole Street. Kenyon Street would be just off the picture on the other side of the church. Sadly my OS map does not go any further north than the railway arch but this photo shows the view through the arch. The house I lived in in the 60s is on the right hand side just about where the tram car is.

WHALLEY ROAD. - Accrington Gallery
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote