Thread: The Pleck?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 19:19   #6
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: The Pleck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
As i mentioned before in another thread - the lane which ran down from Whalley rd to Bull Bridge, which is Kenyon St into Weir St, was always called the "Pleck" i never knew it as owt else, would anyone know where n how that name originated? cos its set me wondering n sure got me beat.
I have a book of old Accy photos one of which shows Pleck Brook 1937. Looks like a culvert is being built. It says the stream follows the line of Water Street to which it gives a name, crossing under Whalley Road to join the Hyndburn under Broadway.

I found this
pleck - definition and meaning
...a plot of ground
...which makes sense when you think of Pleckgate in Blackburn being the gate to a plot of ground

Sorry to be pedantic Margaret but the term 'gate' used in street names derives from the Viking word 'gata' meaning street. Still seen today in the Danish word gade.

Which poses another question, the sheep n cattle were always herded down Maudsley St n then down the Pleck to the sla ughterhouse, wonder which farm/farms they came from?

Cashy the Ashman book I mentioned yesterday when we started this discussion on another thread says that the road went up Maudsley Street to Pennyhouse Lane then across what is now the cemetery to Lower Brownbirks and into Huncoat so I guess the animals came from farms in Huncoat. The old building on onthe corner of Bolton Avenus and Burnley Road was once Brownbirks Farm before it was engulfed by a council estate. I know this because my family used to own it.

I do remember sheep being herded along Hyndburn Road and into the old burial ground next to the corn mill while waiting their turn at the abbatoir opposite. Again the Ashman book has a picture.

Cheers

Sue
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote