View Single Post
Old 15-12-2011, 14:52   #1
mobertol
God Member

Christmas past...

While trying to get in the mood for Xmas this year I've been thinking back to other Christmas times - looking at particularly nice ones and trying to work out what were the magic ingredients.

If you could go back and re-live one particular Xmas in your life which would it be and why?

Mine would be Xmas 1974 when I was 11 years old. We went round to my maternal Grand-mother's for the day. There was a full turkey lunch which started at one and went on for ages, crackers were pulled and the Queen's speech watched -pretty much the same as in many house-holds up and down the country. We had Nanny's famous sherry trifle and played Bingo. Ate chocs and dates and nuts.

As well as me, sister Denise, mum & dad and Grand-parents, there were also quite a few of my great-aunts and uncles too.

I had received a telescope and Patrick Moore book for Xmas (educational stuff for me always) and my sister one of those large dolls heads with make-up and accessories to do it's hair. She spent most of the afternoon doing that and then finally i got Nanny's musical jewelery box out and made Denise up with her play make-up and covered her in jewels -there was a lovely photo of her but it got thrown out.

Both the living-room and front parlour had fires lit and there was a great atmosphere -even if it probably doesn't sound that exciting....

I've worked out that it's the people who were that made it a special time.

Time to start thinking who I can invite this year!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web