View Single Post
Old 24-01-2012, 08:56   #131
Rover1929
Junior Member+

Re: The King is going......

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Paul Cook would be the favourite I reckon, BUT, I'd imagine that Sligo would be reasonably well paid as one of the best jobs in Ireland. That would come down to ambition and whether he wants a shop window job back in England.

For me I'd want someone young and ambitious, with fairly good contacts around the North West. He'd need to understand our club, would need to be fairly cheap, would need to be liked by the fans and would need the ability to polish turds (this weeks saying i think) - all attributes that Coley had in abundance when he arrived 12 years ago. That man today, for me, is Liam Watson at Southport.

Patterson's a good shout though.

But Coley staying would be far better.
Hi lads Sligo Rovers fan here. I personally think Paul is a shoe in for the job. The actions of our board in recent weeks/month suggest they don't want him there. They've brought in an assistant manager who the board have made no secret of there fondness towards him ( Ian Foster, another scouser I think? ) and are many here in Sligo are touting him to take over from Cook. It would suggest his departure is imminent.

The board also allowed Paul to hold talks with a league rival ( Derry City ) a couple of weeks ago. A move which would have been a step sideways at most, as Sligo finished ahead of Derry last season. The only thing that made the move an ounce of sense was that there is direct flights from Derry to Liverpool. I think Cook's family still live in Liverpool..

He was all set to take the St. Johnstone job in Scotland, compensation agreed too, except he wasn't allowed bring his back room team with him and was told he had to lower the budget. Wasn't happy with that criteria so he pulled out.

Shamrock Rovers also here in Ireland were reportedly after him when Michael O'Neill left to take the Northern Ireland job, but nothing materialised there either.

The fact is, 3 jobs have come up in the past 6 months or so, and he has been firmly in contention for them all. The fact the Sligo board willingly allow him to hold talks with other league rivals, suggest they aren't exactly over the moon with him.
Rover1929 is offline   Reply With Quote