Thread: Street Names
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 13:18   #130
Bob Dobson
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

I suspect that Monk Street, off Blackburn Rd next to Park Rd & Princess St, is named in honour of William Monk, a leading Methodist in the town and one of the founders of the Mechanics Instituite. He was a self-employed tailor and it may be that he was Frederick Steiner's tailor. Steiner was responsible for the naming of most of the streets between the Church boundary and Frederick St, including Steiner St. as he owned all that land on that side of Blackburn Rd. Most of those streets have been mentioned in earlier postings.

Up Bash, Scott Ave is named in honour of George Scott, who farmed White Croft Farm, where the street is. He got planning permission in 1922. Nearby is Hurstead St, named after Hurstead Farm, Bash, also owned by the Scott family.

As previously mentioned, some streets have been re-named: Poulton Avenue was Moss St until 1925.

Up Bash, there is Haworth St , & Halliwell St. I have long thought that it was Haworth because it overlooked Haworth Park, but I have learned that planning permission for the street was granted to a B Haworth in 1932. Who was he? Likewise, who was J Halliwell, a builder (?) who laid out Halliwell St ?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote