View Single Post
Old 14-02-2012, 17:57   #15
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I think this location is Blackburn Rd, Church somewhere near Henry St. Not far away from Ernest St Baptists' chapel. Might this have been called Bethel?

The chapel near Gatty Park was an RC one - not Bethel.

The Baptist chapel in Barnes St was known as Bethel, so this location could be somewhere near the top of Blackburn Rd Accy.

I feel some agreement with Cashy over Blackburn Rd/Oxford St.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
The chapel definately was situated in Gatty Park or right next to it. There were three "houses" sited at the bottom of the path that runs up the side of the park up to milnshaw park ...facing the bottom of Park Rd..I think we called it Heyes lane or something. Two are still there now with a gap in the middle. This was where the chapel was, in the middle. I think it burnt down at some point. I also know someone whose Grandma lives in one of the houses and remembers the chapel.
My mum was a regular at the chapel in the 30's and mentioned it a few times as it was the first church she attended before helping to form the methodist Church of the Nazarene. It was at the time in the 30's and 40's, when there were some large christian revival crusades, especially in the Burnley area.
I have some photos of her outside the chaple as well somewhere.
In the 50's they worshiped initially at a place on the corner of Infant st and Abbey street upstairs above what is now Maundy Grange..it was the old TOC H building. In the early 60's they moved to Peel st on the corner of the small street that used to run through to Broadway past the market probably near where Wilkinsons is now. Eventually in the late 60's they moved to York St Church in what was the old Co-op building.

I have also seen an old Accrington map which If I remember actually mentions Bethel at this location. I will try and hunt it out

Phil
Bob is right in that Barnes Street chapel was called Bethel - I have a book called The Baptist Churches of Accrington & District by Robert J V Wylie which was written in 1923 and it confirms that.

I have been trying to decipher the words on the banner - it clearly says Bethel Crusades or Crusaders in the middle and Saved to Serve at the bottom and possibly Accrington at the top, but words in the middle of the circle are unclear apart from Always.

Is it possible that the banner does not refer to a chapel called Bethel but to a movement within a chapel with a different name?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote