View Single Post
Old 21-11-2004, 12:37   #12
Tealeaf
God Member

Re: The Graveyard Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I'm not sure that I get the point of this thread. Maybe I am just being a bit slow today, my brain never works well in sub-zero temperatures. Would some kind person kindly explain. And while we are at it, why do all the memorial stones in the pictures appear to be laid on the ground, as though they have been knocked over?
Don't worry, A-B; we're all getting a little slow. The underlying point of this thread - like most on here - is curiosity and debate. Of the 3 memorials above, the most contentious must surely be that of Simpson. Not only was he the president of the Veggie Society, he was one of the founding members and the first president. In other words, he was the great-granddaddy of all these do-gooding, interfering animal-rights, anti-hunting scumbags that are so busy ruining other peoples lives . Of this arsehole Simpson. then Church can certainly not be proud. Oh, by the way - his monument towers above all the others in the graveyard - typical of the holier than thou attitude of the middle-class liberal rubbish of today.

The sailors headstone lies flat. Note the date though....1919. Royal Naval action in 1919? Against who, and why? I'm surprised you did'nt pick up on that.

The penninsula war veteran headsone may or may not have stood upright. However, it was probably the best preserved headstone in the Church Yard and I am not aware of a similar one in such condition in other churches within Hyndburn, so Mick took the piccy and we stuck it in.

The reason some headstones do lie flat, especially in Church Kirk, is Health & Safety; there was a young girl killed while playing in there about 15 years ago when one of the large uprights went over, so many have now been laid flat, but not Simpson's, which is the first on the right as you go in the entrance.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote