View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 22:01   #35
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Accrington Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Having seen how much work Retlaw has done I'd say ask nicely if he will spend a day with you and go through his records, he has amassed so much info its silly and admireable in the same breath.... I do have one bug bear which I did raise with him a few years ago(but like me he's a stubborn old goat! ) is that he's stuck in his old version of some decrepid old software which whilst it works for him and may be more efficient for him to add to makes his data old(and obsolete) before its finished.

IMHO a well presented web view of his reserch wold be a joy to behold and a superb resource for the next 200 years...

I hope that when the inevitable happens( theres nowt as sure as death and taxes!) his info is converted to a useable web form and stored in something like the British Library, IMHO that would be a better epitaph than any stone up Burnley road!

@Retlaw, please please please ensure that if no one else wants it you pass it top me and I'll promise to do my best! I dont know where my ancesters were back then( I know my dad was in Fleet Air arms in WW2 but not much further back) but I'd absolutely hate to see your research wasted.
Hi Ian
I thought I had finished researching the Pals, so I contacted the publisher of William Turners Books, they told me it was unsaleable, they would need to sell 300 copies just to break even, and who would want to buy a book of over 4000 names of genealogy info on the 11th Battalion East Lancs. I have now been thinking of printing it out on a special paper that the goverment use, it goes black if some one tries to photocopy it or scan it. Thought of Web pages too, although I've made some attempt, I cant get pages to link.
Now that the 1911 Census & the Silver Badge records have come on line, I'm now back into it, and adding still more info on the Pals, it was 389 pages, but looks like it will be over 400 before long,. Then theres my Accrington Heroes file over 14000 names, nearly 900 pages.
AND WordStar may be antiquated, but it beats any of Gill Bates's crap, there are quite a few of us around the world who still use WordStar.
The Stubborn, Awkward, Cantankerous old Goat, Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-04-2012 at 22:04.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote