View Single Post
Old 17-04-2012, 12:17   #20
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Cheltenham Town Match Thread..........

I saw the BBC 'highlights' and the match, and the latter was nothing like the former. Cheltenham (like many other teams) were bigger and stronger than Stanley, and have some good players (Pack ran the show) but were flattered by the scoreline. Poor defending gifted their goals and the 'highlights' didn't show Stanley's efforts.
Given the changes, I thought Stanley put some good passages of play together, they just never looked like scoring. Guthrie tried his hardest but he's just not big and ugly enough to make himself a threat, yet. The big plus was that Hughes looked to be back to his influential best.
Put Murphy, Winnard and a fit Hessey back into the defence and it would have been stronger. Toto is great to watch and clearly has ability, but is too easily distracted and is enticed into stupid reactions, and Willis was OK given he's spent this season sitting down. Liddle was playing just in front of the back four and did well at winning the ball. In fact, Liddle was the only Stanley player who ever came out of a 50/50 tackle with the ball. The Stanley's players need some body building ( but not the kind displayed by Craney) as, again, they were too easily knocked off the ball/tackle (shades of the play-off games last season against Satanage). Nicholls made a hash of the third goal from the free kick but also made quite a few excellent saves.
Upset tummies aside, I took the line up to be The Cook's trying out a few options that otherwise might never be tried.
Next season will be interesting.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote