View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 22:36   #143
carpon
Full Member+

Re: Accrington Stanley Squad

If I'm not mistaken, Blackpool have been offering "pay as you play" contracts for a couple of seasons now, hence probably why the "basic" salary of the quoted £15k per year / season.

If you divide that by 46 (number of league games) that equates to £326 per game basic !!! They'd have to consider additional add ons to the basic wage ( such as appearance fees, win bonuses, goal bonuses etc) but considering Brett's appearances are likely to be pretty restricted at Blackpool, hardly surprising that Brett feels that "offer" isn't good enough.

Question is....what would we (or any other club for that matter) be prepared to offer??? We couldn't afford to break the bank, or for that matter break the wage structure, to accommodate a player, who's (without disrespect to Brett) nearing the end of his career and would be a gamble if we offered a fat juicy contract, and then he spends most of the season in the treatment room (if he got injured)

Maybe we've been offering similiar "pay as you play" deals to the likes of Hessey, McIntyre & Coid, hence the reason they didn't sign??

Fair enough....I'd be delighted to see Brett in a red shirt again and as others have said, maybe they could throw in a coaching role to boot.

Sad fact....but professional football is a mercenary business in what is a short career. Sentiment aside...other clubs in L1, L2 and even the Conference have more resources and can offer better terms / deals than we could. I can't help but think he'll end up at a club who can offer more money.....Fleetwood would be my bet

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote