Thread: Napoleon Street
View Single Post
Old 26-06-2012, 19:21   #24
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Napoleon Street

Hope it's OK to revive this ancient thread rather than start a new one on the same subject. I spent a large part of today looking at old maps of Clayton for Mack on another thread about shops in Whalley road. Noticed on the 1890 map that Whalley Road from the Greyhound to the Hare and Hounds was called Napoleon Street. No name is mentioned from there to the canal bridge but after the canal bridge the road is called Enfield Street. However the canal bridge is marked as Whalley Road Bridge and on the canal side is Whalley Road Wharf!

The name must have changed by the time of the directory in which I found the entry for the shop I was looking for, between the Volunteer and the Albion, listed as 233 Whalley Road, which it still is today. However I can't find out the directory date without spending money on the Ancestry website!

What I did find out just now, looking through some family history info I collated years ago, is that my great aunt Florrie, the first of my great grandad's six children, was born at 99 Napoleon Street in 1889. They had moved on by the time the next child arrived, but I thought the street name rang a vague bell!