Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Accrington Forum News
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Forum News Read about the latest happenings on our site.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By davidf
  • 1 Post By davidf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2020, 19:22   #1
Junior Member+

Wadington Street

Hi, as the newest member, but not living in Accrington and district can I ask if there are any old pictures of Wadington Street. My grandpa John Walter Walsh was born at number 7 on April 1, 1893. His dad James Walsh died of TB in 1906 and his widow Arabella moved to Cumberland (where she was from originally) with my grandfather who later married and lived in Maryport.
I am doing family tree research and the Walsh family all (or certainly most) lived in Clayton le Moor and Accrington and I am back to the late 1700's.
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2020, 11:23   #2

Re: Wadington Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
Hi, as the newest member, but not living in Accrington and district can I ask if there are any old pictures of Wadington Street. My grandpa John Walter Walsh was born at number 7 on April 1, 1893. His dad James Walsh died of TB in 1906 and his widow Arabella moved to Cumberland (where she was from originally) with my grandfather who later married and lived in Maryport.
I am doing family tree research and the Walsh family all (or certainly most) lived in Clayton le Moor and Accrington and I am back to the late 1700's.
Hello and welcome, I am afraid that I cannot help you picture wise but could the street that you are looking for be Waddington Street, situated off Avenue Parade, Accrington ?
Regards, Taddy, the Lancashire Ludite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 18:59   #3

Hi Walshie,
Perhaps I can help. your John Walter W's parents were living at 7 Washington Street in Accrington at the 1891 census, and I suggest that the writing on JWW's baptism record is what you've been looking at, and it's very unclear and you've read it as Waddington Street. By the time that the 1901 census came around the family had moved to 91 Stanley Street in Accrington.
Good Luck with your research, davidf
Bob Dobson likes this.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 09:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Hi Walshie,
Perhaps I can help. your John Walter W's parents were living at 7 Washington Street in Accrington at the 1891 census, and I suggest that the writing on JWW's baptism record is what you've been looking at, and it's very unclear and you've read it as Waddington Street. By the time that the 1901 census came around the family had moved to 91 Stanley Street in Accrington.
Good Luck with your research, davidf
I stand corrected David, it was Washington Street that I was thinking of, not Waddington Street, probably what's now classed as a "Senior" moment from me.
Regards, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 14:51   #5

Thee and me both, Taddy. I automatically wrote Waddington Street with two ds, as we'd expect it to be spelled, when there's only one upward stroke in the baptismal record I referred to, and which is why our friend Walshie spelled it with only one d. Cheers!
taddy likes this.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 19:11   #6

I 've just seen your Thread Walshie [that's what they call my son at the Rammy Cricket Club]. Take a look at my posts starting with the first one about Church District [20/6/13]. Titled "Regular Churchgoer," it caused some confusion at first. I came on here looking at Walsh history as well but I ended up fascinated with the area and Model Lodging Houses etc. I was trying to prove my Irish ancestry but that hasn't gone so well although there is now a fascinating trail back to the 1700's and a male Walsh [actually fathered by a Mr Riley] but acknowledged and accepted in the Church records to be a Walsh!

Geographically we've only really gone as far as Altham. There seems to be Walshes originating from the Irish Mainland and a separate cluster of Lancashire based Walshes but I'm still working on that and were they all start from. I'm resident in Ramsbottm but live in Sussex as well. I had recalled going to the Coulters Irish Club in Accy a few decades back and assumed a strong Irish population but others have told me more recently that's not so! There was one Irish family in Church I believe but I've not contacted them so far. "Events dear boy, events! as a Prime Minister once said. Great Pie Shop in Church though.

Dave Walsh
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 22:55   #7

I've sent an e-mail message to the OP asking if he wants to be in contact. I realise that he began the thread at the time of lockdown and that other factors may now apply!

Dave Walsh
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 19:33   #8
Junior Member+

Thanks everyone, particularly Dave. I have sent him an e-mail telling him about a visit to Ramsbottom I will be making on October 31 - Rammy v Workington in the NPL NW Division provided Covid restrictions aren't preventative by then.
Take care everyone. All the best.
Walshie (John A. Walsh)
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..