Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2011, 09:14   #16
Resting in Peace

re: MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn".

I think Adrian's guide will be around a long time after he has departed this earth, I still use mine to this day
Old 18-01-2011, 15:27   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Adrian was his first name. also stood as an independant on teh council for a while, (I think he's stood down now)
He was a Councillor for a year or so, about 12 years ago. He stood as an Independent, and single handedly held the balance of power between Labour and the Conservatives, in the days when the Mayoralty was earned, not given as a political sweetener. So he was never made Mayor.

I remember he was red hot on traffic issues, and always spoke out against road humps and "sleeping policemen".
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 16:55   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
He was a Councillor for a year or so, about 12 years ago. He stood as an Independent, and single handedly held the balance of power between Labour and the Conservatives, in the days when the Mayoralty was earned, not given as a political sweetener. So he was never made Mayor.

I remember he was red hot on traffic issues, and always spoke out against road humps and "sleeping policemen".
You might remember Adrian, held the balance of power the year I was Mayor. Made for an interesting year.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 17:42   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
You might remember Adrian, held the balance of power the year I was Mayor. Made for an interesting year.
Ya Bernard, think thats the last time I had a chat with you, if I remember rightly, I may be wrong but I don't think he lasted the year did he
Old 18-01-2011, 18:14   #20
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
Was he not once in the police......
Adrian was my partner on the crime car for several years. A good copper with a strong sense of RIGHT. He went on to become an advanced driving instructor until his retirement from the police. He later served as an independent councillor for Great Harwood and quit after several noteworthy run in's with Britcliffe, having proved his point that the man was apparently just of much of a self centred ego then as he is today.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 17:48   #21

Adrian has sadly died (didn't see in the thread). There is a memorial bench to him on the footpath near to the bottom end of Gt Harwood Golf Club near to the disused railway line.

The story from some 20 years ago was that Hyndburn Council used his maps without permission and had to pay a royalty (This was a long time before he went on the council).

The guide was pretty unique in that a Street location was given as "off Birtwistle Street" and then the house number on Birtwistle Street that it was alongside was given.
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 22:16   #22
Senior Member+

The plaque on the bench in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1330.JPG (390.4 KB, 44 views)
Atarah and cashman like this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:12   #23

I used to find Adrian Shurmer's Guide extremely useful in my earlier years as Local Land Charges Officer at Hyndburn Borough Council - I did the job for 25 years up to my retirement. Hyndburn didn't publish its own street guide so Shurmer's came in very handy! Re earlier comment about the mayoralty being given as a political sweetener rather than earned - I hope that's not true in my case!! Judith Addison - current Mayor of Hyndburn
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:01   #24
Senior Member+

Today I am visiting Mrs Shurmer with a welfare officer from the Retired Bobbies to help her dispose of a lot of copies of Adrian's book on driving, which is held in high regard by Advanced Drivers. I shall pass onto wer all the good wishes for Adrian expressed on here.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 08:32   #25
Senior Member+

I really wish our moderators could alter the heading which states "that Shurmer chap" - please could you not amend it to say MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn".

I have "flinched" ever since that heading was used.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 08:49   #26
Resting in Peace

Re: MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn".

your wish is our command June
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 09:07   #27
Senior Member+

MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn".

Thank you very kindly sir!
A much nicer introduction to the article.
Attached Images
File Type: gif thankyou 2.gif (19.2 KB, 1 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 09:35   #28
Senior Member+

Well done Atarah and Mick.....I have arranged for the stock of copies of 'Mind How You Go' to be collected by the Marie Curie Foundation, so they will be going on sale in their shops soon. Other copies will be going to local charities.

Last edited by Mick; 20-10-2013 at 06:28. Reason: no fundraising allowed
Old 19-10-2013, 11:32   #29
God Member

found a copy in my loft this morning
Old 19-10-2013, 13:49   #30
Senior Member+

A warning to others - 'Mind how you go' when up in the loft.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..