Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 21:45   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Beryl Ingham

And who the hell is she? you ask. Beryl was better known as Mrs George Formby (in reality Mrs Booth - George's real family name). She had started in Show Business in a clog dancing act, with her sister, called "The Two Violets".

Beryl is renowned as the dragon who ruled George with a rod of iron. She was his business manager and, without doubt, the apparent dominatrix of their marriage but she deliberately took the flak for any action which might have made George unpopular, such as leaving or avoiding a function. "Oh I'll have to ask Beryl," George would say, knowing that this would elicit a prearranged "No" from the the wife. "It doesn't matter what they think of me," said Beryl, "But the public must love George."
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2008, 21:57   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Beryl Ingham

was she a local lass west ender?
Old 07-05-2008, 22:03   #3
Give, give, give member

In the first Genus edition of Trivial Pursuits (1984), one of the questions was whose wife was a clog dancer from Acrington, the answer being George Formby.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 22:13   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
In the first Genus edition of Trivial Pursuits (1984), one of the questions was whose wife was a clog dancer from Acrington, the answer being George Formby.
ah cheers fer that mate, i knew quite a few inghams differant familys way back n 1 had a daughter who was a bit of a dragon, perhaps a relative?
Old 07-05-2008, 22:18   #5
Give, give, give member

Formby's naivety went hand-on-ukulele with an ingenuous common decency. On tour in South Africa in 1946, Formby played to black audiences despite threats from Daniel Malan, head of the National Party and one of the chief architects of apartheid. At the end of one show a three-year-old girl presented "the wife" (Beryl) with a box of chocolates. Beryl gave her a big kiss and handed her on to George for another. Malan had the couple thrown out of the country. "Never come back here again," he bellowed. Beryl gave as good as she got. She told Malan: "Why don't you **** off, you horrible little man?"

Book review: George Formby by David Bret | Arts critics | guardian.co.uk Arts

Old 07-05-2008, 22:28   #6
Give, give, give member

Just noticed on the ever so unreliable Wikipedia, that those cheeky Darreners have claimed Beryl as one of their own, in the Culture section of Darwen's page.

Darwen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2008, 22:47   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Just noticed on the ever so unreliable Wikipedia, that those cheeky Darreners have claimed Beryl as one of their own, in the Culture section of Darwen's page.

perhaps it was the " Dragon" quote that led em to claim her.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:27   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:

The what section of Darwen's page
Old 08-05-2008, 11:00   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The what section of Darwen's page
Yes, that cultural backwater are grabbing at straws, which is probably why they nicked 'our Beryl'.

Old 08-05-2008, 20:43   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

She was definitely from Accrington.

George, of course, was born in Wigan but he grew up in Stockton Heath, Warrington. The family home was a quite large house on London Rd which has just been granted planning permission to become a hotel.

Warrington is very proud of George (he's buried in the Borough Cemetery) and the museum had a George Formby exhibition a few years ago. It was fascinating, amongst loads of other things there were several of his banjoleles and 2 of his motorbikes - he loved fast cars and fast bikes. There was even a set of racing colours that he had worn when he was very young and was an apprentice jockey. He did all his own stunts in films - so you'll see him riding horses and motorbikes.

Once they were married Beryl devoted her life to him and through her very shrewd management and his own talent he became a very wealthy man. Most of his money went on cars, houses and - Beryl.
Old 25-05-2008, 16:35   #11
Senior Member+

Beryl Ingham

Her family came from Baxenden, they ended up having a pub in Elephant Street, Accrington
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:30   #12

Hi. I know Beryl was born in Haslingden but does anyone know just where??
MrPastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 15:49   #13

I always thought she was born in Haslingden
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 19:15   #14

I knew she had been born in Accrington as whilst a volunteer on the Lancashire BMD project I saw her birth certificate and I think it was Alliance Street in Baxenden.

The media usually picks up on the fact that she was born in the Haslingden Registration District and don't bother checking any further.

By 1911 the family were in Darwen at the Black Bull Hotel
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 21:02   #15

Thanks for that
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..