Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2010, 20:32   #16

Re: nori brick

I briefly worked with Thurston in 1971 at the Enfield plant of Nori. His models are still on display in Ossie Mills
Chester Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2010, 18:57   #17
Senior Member+

I took these photos at Ossy Mills a while ago of Thurstons models, he was a great craftsman and very thorough.
Quality is not good because they are taken through glass and I never got a chance to take any at his house or his hen cabin shed where he made them.
He made every little nut and bolt even and the models actually worked.

Old 12-09-2010, 20:36   #18
Senior Member+

A mention of Accrington Nori brick at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, where I went today

Here is a photograph of a plaque and a mural. Soz, mural not 100% clear. Had to zoom in.

http://www.joylandbooks.com/themagic...beach/wall.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blackpool 12th Sept 2010 .jpg (358.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Blackpool Mural 12th Sept 2010.jpg (306.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 12-09-2010 at 20:38.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:31   #19
Junior Member+

This site is great. I must remember to visit more. I never had owt to do with making Nori bricks, but carried thousands of them all over the country when I worked for Gilbraith Transport as a driver. Also, the Macpelah Cemetry on Hyndburn Road was one of our playgrounds when I was a kid living in Crawshaw Street. Wonder we were never crushed as we crawled in and out of the toppled grave stones. Happy days!!!
atkiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 15:07   #20

The foundations of the Empire State Building were built out of Nori Brick.
ramshackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 18:07   #21
Give, give, give member

Never twigged until seeing this.

The term 'red brick university' stems from the fact Accrington's Nori brick was used to build them.

Origins of the term

Red brick university - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 22:35   #22
Tex
Junior Member+

My grandad worked at Nori back in the 50s he was Martin Tierney if anyone remembers him. I think he worked in the kilns and lived in Ossy.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:34   #23

My dad worked at Nori as a brick moulder. He was there from the late 40s and stayed until the mid 60s, when he left to become a newsagent in Great Harwood.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..