Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 17:28   #241
Senior Member+

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
They weren't - the Mother died first and had the father's name put on the grave in advance apparently. But when he died, later on - Jeanette didn't know where here grave was so she buried him in another area on his own. I think that is what she said in the program.
I don't think she noticed the date of his death on the headstone was 1951-9 years before he adapted her. It was probably his father(her adapted grandfather) buried there in a family grave so her adapted father ended up in the wrong grave!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 07-12-2012 at 17:31.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2012, 17:54   #242
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I don't think she noticed the date of his death on the headstone was 1951-9 years before he adapted her. It was probably his father(her adapted grandfather) buried there in a family grave so her adapted father ended up in the wrong grave!
see my posts 221 and 228
Old 07-12-2012, 18:03   #243
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
see my posts 221 and 228
Oops!
All kestrelx's fault, honest.
Forgot it was discussed two days ago.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 07-12-2012 at 18:06. Reason: My watch was one day out
Old 08-12-2012, 15:52   #244
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Today's Accrington Observer page 8 has a piece by Kate Watkins entitled "Author praises role of her local library" not much chance it will quieten some of the negativity generated by some trolls in this thread but we can only hope.
I think Jeanette doesn't feel she quite fits in with Accrington or belongs - I know the feeling! Which is why she stated she has mixed feelings about going back there.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:05   #245
bzk
Junior Member+

It's the constant victimhood which annoys me. I've never read her books, maybe a more balanced view is apparent there. But the TV programmes give only her side of the story.

Consider: we only really hear about her primary school years. All I'll say about that is young children learn to read at home more than at school. After that, she must have passed her 11+ to get into Accrington High School for girls. She then went to Accrington and Rossendale College (and must've been there at the same time as Max from Brookside BTW).

Whilst there, she must have taken the Oxford entrance exam, presumably she passed because she was accepted. She then went to Oxford (and apparently possessed a car at the time, albeit a rather humble one -so she learned to drive at a very young age).

Is all this really possible without a very supportive background? I would say not. In many respects she had a privileged background. Can today's teenagers look forward to this level of social mobility? Again I'd say not. Far from being this downtrodden heroine, she was probably helped and supported in most important respects.

I think the truth would not have made such an entertaining story ?
bzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02   #246
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzk View Post
It's the constant victimhood which annoys me. I've never read her books, maybe a more balanced view is apparent there. But the TV programmes give only her side of the story.

Consider: we only really hear about her primary school years. All I'll say about that is young children learn to read at home more than at school. After that, she must have passed her 11+ to get into Accrington High School for girls. She then went to Accrington and Rossendale College (and must've been there at the same time as Max from Brookside BTW).

Whilst there, she must have taken the Oxford entrance exam, presumably she passed because she was accepted. She then went to Oxford (and apparently possessed a car at the time, albeit a rather humble one -so she learned to drive at a very young age).

Is all this really possible without a very supportive background? I would say not. In many respects she had a privileged background. Can today's teenagers look forward to this level of social mobility? Again I'd say not. Far from being this downtrodden heroine, she was probably helped and supported in most important respects.

I think the truth would not have made such an entertaining story ?
You cover some great points here bzk. One is minded of that old adage “Why let the truth get in the way of a good story. I have just finished reading David McRaney’s excellent book “You are not so smart” ** and in there is a chapter “Confabulation” The Misconception: You know when you are lying to yourself. The Truth: You are ignorant of your motivations and create fictional narratives to explain your decisions, emotions and history without realising it.
He finishes the chapter off, How do you separate fantasy from reality. How can you be sure the story of your life both from long ago and minute to minute is true? There is a pleasant vindication to be found when you accept you can’t. No one can, yet we persist and thrive. Who you are is sort of like a movie based on true events , which is not necessarily a bad thing. The details may be embellished, but the big picture, the general idea is probably a good story worth hearing about.

There is a pre “Why be happy.....” interview where JW says her birth mother is dead, interesting and not true and hinting at her sense of theatre, play and danger.

** One World Publications ISBN 1-85168-939-2
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37   #247
God Member

When Susie provided the link for a free read. I did make a start.

I soon lost patience with her 'victim' mentality.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54   #248
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Having read a bit more I agree, MargaretR. I don't think I'll bother with 'Oranges are etc'
ryanlaur likes this.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21   #249
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
They weren't - the Mother died first and had the father's name put on the grave in advance apparently. But when he died, later on - Jeanette didn't know where here grave was so she buried him in another area on his own. I think that is what she said in the program.
I have done the same on the memorial stone for my wife. On the bottom it says "Beloved wife of Russell Taylor" and there is room for the date of my death to be added later.
Also her son by her first husband who died in 1973 aged 8 is buried in the fathers grave. We put a memorial on the grave using the son's name "Tregurtha" (my wife's maiden name) because his father would not put his own name on the birth certificate. The father died later and no one knows any other relative.
There may be some person from the fathers family, who in the future, objects to the memorial so the Cemetery superintendent told us it would be in order to have the little boys name on his mothers memorial. That way he will not be forgotten.

I was advised to watch the Winterston TV program and sat through it with nowt else to do. I don't think I would have bothered otherwise. It didn't show Accrington in a good light in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0551x.jpg (573.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Gremlin; 11-12-2012 at 12:23. Reason: added text
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:37   #250
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Have too agree,endured 3 chapters n then thought "Stuff This"
Old 11-12-2012, 17:08   #251
Senior Member+

Quote:

She has the luxury to keep going over this and selling it as a book - many people have had worse lives and still have - she is lucky that she's made money and has a relatively good life - others don't have that fortune.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:34   #252
bzk
Junior Member+

I believe that sometimes adopted children really do not connect with their adoptive parents. When the child also knows their biological parent is still out there, coupled with teenage rebellion, inevitably you have trouble.

I wonder how much of her perception of her past is simply a rationalisation of this. I doubt an independent person would be so one-sided as she is. Maybe she is simply incapable of being objective on her upbringing for psychological reasons.

Someone above indicated she had a puppy as a child. Apparently at age 16 she also had a Mini. Did she learn to drive at 17? Who paid for that?
bzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50   #253
God Member

I have just read the first three chapters from Sue's much-appreciated link. I think it's brilliant and will read the rest. She is an amazing writer and her scope and use of language is unique -it spirals around and draws you in and I can identify with many of the people and places.
I don't get "victim" coming through at all, some flashes of anger and wry humour are there and also some nice things about Mrs. Winterson - undoubtedly her reading to Jeanette as a child was very powerful in shaping the direction her life took.
She has dedicated the book to three people one of whom is Constance Winterson and that is very significant - for a writer to dedicate their book to someone is a very important and emotionally charged decision. That person or persons is usually instrumental in the inspiration of the writing and its execution -the two are inextricably linked.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46   #254
God Member

Quite a coincidence but I just got a Xmas card from Accy -my Aunt has put in a DVD recording of the programme in so I'll be able to watch it now!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:25   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzk View Post
I believe that sometimes adopted children really do not connect with their adoptive parents. When the child also knows their biological parent is still out there, coupled with teenage rebellion, inevitably you have trouble.
Sorry to pick up on this but any child sometimes does not connect with their parents, it's how your brought up and loved that influences this.

In Jeanette's case I might be wrong but I'm sure the programme said her adoptive Mother told her that her Mother was dead.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..