Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2010, 17:00   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Is there a particular reason why she shouldn't be Jolly??

Best Regards - Taggy
No not really, I suppose it was a remarkable quality, and with all her money who wouldn't be
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2010, 17:04   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
"I couldn't help seeing that the charcter Jesse was just JW's alter ego."
I agree (having bought it on DVD) it's autobiographic
Here's a photo of the opening sequance
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossend...y/4119988972/]
By the way that photo link doesn't go where it's supposed to. Don't they have to disguise the characte anyway just in case they get sued? Her parents probably could have sued her anyway for what she said about them. But I know that novelists have to be careful about copying from reality just in case someone sues them and no publisher will take on a book that they could end up getting sued over.
Old 25-03-2010, 18:00   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
By the way that photo link doesn't go where it's supposed to. Don't they have to disguise the characte anyway just in case they get sued? Her parents probably could have sued her anyway for what she said about them. But I know that novelists have to be careful about copying from reality just in case someone sues them and no publisher will take on a book that they could end up getting sued over.
I suppose the question of litigation depends on whether what she wrote, in a work of fiction, based on her life, was true or not.

I suppose only the people involved will know that.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 10:20   #109
Junior Member+

Quote:
Her parents probably could have sued her anyway for what she said about them.
Seriously? And you don't think that an enforced exorcism might not be grounds for prosecution in itself?
StevenWaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 13:30   #110
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWaling View Post
Seriously? And you don't think that an enforced exorcism might not be grounds for prosecution in itself?

Thats assuming that actually happened!!...As she says herself...its part autobiographical and part fiction, and obviously we dont dont which is which!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 10:57   #111
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I suppose the question of litigation depends on whether what she wrote, in a work of fiction, based on her life, was true or not.

I suppose only the people involved will know that.
She was on the box last night, Newsnight Review, I only caught the last few minutues.

I recall my mother told me back in the 80's, we lived on Water Street, that her father told her that they (her parents) were really upset by what she'd said about them. But they would not want to sue her as they didn't.

I only read the book around 2004 and I thought the writing was very compelling and well written - a page turner as they say but tried the second one "Sexing the Cherry" and I couldn't get into it.
Old 27-03-2010, 13:03   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
She was on the box last night, Newsnight Review, I only caught the last few minutues.

I recall my mother told me back in the 80's, we lived on Water Street, that her father told her that they (her parents) were really upset by what she'd said about them. But they would not want to sue her as they didn't.

I only read the book around 2004 and I thought the writing was very compelling and well written - a page turner as they say but tried the second one "Sexing the Cherry" and I couldn't get into it.
I saw it.

Her Accringtonian accent's still spot on, to say she's lived away from the area for the majority of her life.

She came across very well.

Intelligent and humorous.

Old 28-03-2010, 15:22   #113
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Thats assuming that actually happened!!...As she says herself...its part autobiographical and part fiction, and obviously we dont dont which is which!!

Best Regards - Taggy
If it's the Elim church on Blackburn Road she went to - I don't doubt it for a second. Bunch of nutters they were.
StevenWaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 16:09   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWaling View Post
If it's the Elim church on Blackburn Road she went to - I don't doubt it for a second. Bunch of nutters they were.
Did you arrive at this judgement after attending there yourself?

Old 28-03-2010, 19:18   #115
God Member

Quote:
I saw it.

I avoided it, thank god.

Her Accringtonian accent's still spot on, to say she's lived away from the area for the majority of her life.

I've lived away longer than she has and my accent is still spot on
She came across very well.

Eh? She's supposed to be a writer, so presumably she has a good command of the English language.
Intelligent and humorous.
Only by your measure .

I am now totally sick and tired of people praising the virtues of this woman on the simple basis that she came from Accy. I do not know how many of you are daily readers of the Times, but until very recently, Ms. Winterston had a fortnightly saturday column in the paper; as such, she took every opportunity to rubbish the town. Now, I don't know if her essay's are available on line, or if they are only available in hard copy; but irrespective I would suggest that those of you who view her has a great daughter of the town try and take a long hard look at what she has written and I have no doubt you will then revise your opinion.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 28-03-2010 at 19:21.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 20:38   #116
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Only by your measure .

I am now totally sick and tired of people praising the virtues of this woman on the simple basis that she came from Accy. I do not know how many of you are daily readers of the Times, but until very recently, Ms. Winterston had a fortnightly saturday column in the paper; as such, she took every opportunity to rubbish the town. Now, I don't know if her essay's are available on line, or if they are only available in hard copy; but irrespective I would suggest that those of you who view her has a great daughter of the town try and take a long hard look at what she has written and I have no doubt you will then revise your opinion.
Haworth has the Brontes.

Accrington has Sapphic Jen.

Perhaps a whole tourist industry might spring up because of the association, and you could move back, dress up as one of her characters, and lead the masses on walking tours of notable literary sites.

Old 28-03-2010, 20:40   #117
Senior Member+

Give me Mystic Meg any day!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 20:54   #118
God Member

Quote:
Haworth has the Brontes.

Accrington has Sapphic Jen.

Perhaps a whole tourist industry might spring up because of the association, and you could move back, dress up as one of her characters, and lead the masses on walking tours of notable literary sites.
It does not take too much imagination to think of several themes on which Accy could develop a little tourist trade; sadly, the twisted memories of some frustrated lesbian in exile is not one of them.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 28-03-2010 at 20:57.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 22:45   #119
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
It does not take too much imagination to think of several themes on which Accy could develop a little tourist trade; sadly, the twisted memories of some frustrated lesbian in exile is not one of them.
So can we take that as a No Tealeaf?
Old 28-03-2010, 23:06   #120
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've lived away longer than she has and my accent is still spot on
Who you kiddin' guv'nor?

You now sound so cosmopolitanly metropolitan, it's like you were sired by Jim Davidson and Marie Lloyd.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..