Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 15:12   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Joseph Briggs, of Milnshaw Lane, Accrington

Hi, to Tealeaf, now now, whats going on here? I never mentioned Albert Hoyle, so how the hecky thump do you know that ....Hi to Weary Tourist, thanks for the info. re Ellis Island. I will certainly look at that. No, not related, but answered an ad. in Accrington Observer many years ago from two Canadian ladies who wanted to pursue their Accrington roots. From then on, things just "fell at my feet" in connection with the Briggs "saga".
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2004, 15:33   #17
God Member

Hi Atarah....Albert Hoyle gets a mention on Post no 4 on this thread (Weary's post)..he marries into the family.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 15:38   #18
Senior Member+

Tealeaf, cant find my details yet, but ... Albert Hoyle, who was a brilliant violinist (had his own band here in Accrington as well) is actually on the back row, but next to the baby, being held by Joseph Briggs. What I find fascinating is the fact that the skills of Albert Hoyle have been passed down through the generations, one rellie in Canada is in a huge dance band over there, playing the violin and a grandchild of that same rellie is brilliant at playing, and she's only 16 - all through an Accrington man! Marvellous! In fact I believe its Albert Hoyle's violin that is still being used!
Old 11-06-2004, 15:50   #19
God Member

Well, I was close....I reasoned that Hoyle would be in the photograph but I had the guy nest to Briggs as being one of his brothers - there appeared to be a family resemblance there. I made Hoyle one of the two men in middle - and I chose the right one because the lady I made out as Alice Briggs looks the right age for the piccy, given her birth date. However, the lady next to Viola appears to be around the same age...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 17:07   #20

Albert Hoyle's family tree

1. Jacob Hoyle born abt. 1822 (Calico Printer, Abbey Street, 1851)(Breadbaker 1861 and 1871)
+ Alice born abt. 1823 Accrington

1.1 George Henry Hoyle born abt. 1846 (Joiner,18 Black Abbey St, 1881)
+ Mary Ann Rawcliffe born abt. 1844 Padiham, married 1868 (Cotton Winder, 86 Pitt Street, 1861)
1.1.1 Albert Hoyle b 1871 (Foundry Labourer 1891, Labourer at Calico Printworks 1901)
(lived at 43 Union St 1881, 12 Percy Street 1901)
+ Alice Ann Briggs born abt. 1877 married 29.4.1896 Church
1.1.1.1 George William Hoyle born abt. 1898

1.2 Sarah E Hoyle born abt. 1850

I am definitely interested, please outline what happened to his branch.
What was the band called? Where did he play?

Last edited by Weary Tourist; 12-06-2004 at 07:09. Reason: Updated information
Weary Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 22:34   #21
I am Banned

When Joseph Briggs visited Accrington in 1992, when Atarah met him I took a video of them together.

Just been talking to her tonight about it.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weary Tourist View Post
Information on this post all relates to Joseph Briggs father, who was also called Joseph and was born abt 1843 in Accrington.
On 1851 Census he was a Scholar, living at St James Street, Accrington
On 1861 Census he was a Hand Engraver, living at 10, Dutton Street, New Accrington
On 1871 Census he was a Hand Engraver, to Calico Printer living at 3 Milnshaw Lane, Accrington
On 1881 Census he was Engraver In Calico Printers, living at 1 Milnshaw Lane, Accrington, Lancashire
On 1891 Census he was Foreman Engraver Calico Printer living at 1 Milnshaw Lane, Accrington, Lancashire
On 1901 Census he was Foreman Engraver Calico Works living at Sunny Bank, Church, Lancashire
Joseph Briggs married a girl called Elizabeth (maiden name unknown) probably before 1862.

They had the following children
*Richard Ashworth Briggs born 11 November 1862 (Apprentice Engraver in 1881)
*Robert Briggs born 13 February 1864 married a Clara Duff (Calico Printer's Engraver 1891) lived at 2 Milnshaw Lane and had a child Richard A Briggs
*Sarah Briggs born 28 August 1866
*Elizabeth Ellen Briggs born abt 1870
*Joseph Briggs (See photo at top of thread) Born 1873
*Alice Ann Briggs born abt 1877 married Albert Hoyle in 29 April 1896 at Church
*Martha Briggs born Abt. 1882

There are various passenger entries for Joseph's (senior) visit to his son Joseph (junior) in USA
8 October 1894 Etruria (Liverpool to New York)
6 August 1904 S.S. Campania (Liverpool 30th July 1904 to New York 6th Aug 1904)

Joseph (junior see photo above) married an american lass called Elizabeth
They had the following children
Joseph Ashworth Briggs born Abt. 1899 USA
Nola? Briggs born Abt. 1900 USA
On the 1901 Census the family lived at Sunny Bank, Church, Lancashire

OK so that's the boring family history bit out the way.
If anyone has additional data, please let me know
Joseph Briggs married Elizabeth Jenkins of Virginia
They had:
Viola
Joseph Jr (died at 1year)
Helen
Alice
Ruth
Joseph A Briggs born in 1914
simbasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:48   #23
Senior Member+

I have recently read that the first child baptised at the new (1868) St John's Church, Accrington, was John Priestley Briggs. This lad's father, also John was brother to Joseph (Tiffany) Briggs' father, Joseph.
His mother was a Priestley. There are several Priestleys mentioned in 'Accrington men of Mark' ( but no Briggs)so maybe what brass they appear to have had came from her side. - their children went to boarding school and young John became an architect in London.

It interests me that John and young Joseph ( Tiffany) displayed similar characteristics - an ability wih design and drawing. I am looking further into John's career.
I don't know where the family lived in 1868, but in 1871 they were in Newark St, on the border with Church. A long way from St John's. The family had previously lived in St James St.

There has been another thread recently about the Briggs family, but it appears not to be this one - or could be after several generations.
agiddyun likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 09:44   #24
Full Member+

There is Jeff/Geoff Briggs of the same family ( Tiffany) who lives on Owen St and goes to Accy Stanley.I think he is the 3x great grandson.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 10:43   #25
Senior Member+

I have just spoken to him -Ramsbottom St, not Owen-. Yes, he is from the Tiffany line but isn't specially interested in family history. However, my call was not wasted, as I learned that he attended the Grammar School, so I got him onto the Old Boys register. He told me of a cousin who is also an AGSOB, so that's another recruit. Thanks Greeny.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:27   #26
Full Member+

Sorry for incorrect address , but glad it was of help.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 14:58   #27
Senior Member+

Some research on John Priestley Briggs reveals that after leaving Clitheroe RGS he went to Cheltenham College. There followed periods being articled to famous architects John Henry Middleton & Frank Matcham. He became a fellow of the Royal Institutre of British Architects in 1905 and took up private practice in 1906. For much of his career he worked on theatres, probably influenced by Matcham, recognised as the finest architect in that field. He gets a page or so in 'London at the Opening of the 20th Century' by Pike, but perhaps that indicates that he paid to be included.

Clearly a Man of Mark.
agiddyun likes this.
Old 21-12-2010, 04:26   #28

Atarah time has passed since this post. . .does the diary mention anything about Elzabeth and her family or even of her daily activities. She is a cousin very much loved by Great Grandmother whom she was named after. . .
gabes3030 likes this.
simbasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 14:58   #29
Senior Member+

Gosh, lovely that this thread has been "awakened". To be honest, havent a clue where all my Tiffany Briggs stuff is, but will have a search. The photocopied diary should be amongst it all.

Atarah
Old 23-05-2011, 22:14   #30

Atarah. When they did a TV Antiques programe at Howarth Art Gallery featuring the Tiffany ware, they were somewhat surprised to find that little old ladies were turning up in their droves with wonderful examples. I found it very funny, for he must have had rather a lot of lady friends. Frank
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..