Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2004, 09:59   #16
Member.

Re: Sir Harrison Birtwistle

Darby, the link to my Birtwistles is a complex one so I need to spend some time with this....
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2004, 17:50   #17
Resting in peace

Didn't he live in Ossy? I do agree the "music" is dire.

However, we do have a very famous opera singer, John -the name escapes me- wonderful baritone/bass, saw him in Meistersinger and was proud to come from Accy!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 23:17   #18
Senior Member+

John Tomlinson

However, we do have a very famous opera singer, John -the name escapes me- wonderful baritone/bass, saw him in Meistersinger and was proud to come from Accy!

HIS NAME IS JOHN TOMLINSON, AND HE HAILS FROM OSWALDTWISTLE!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 08:49   #19
Resting in peace

How could I forget. Must be my age! - or overwork, or both!

He is absolutely brilliant - I had never rated bass voices before, but he changed my mind.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 13:38   #20

Another Accy claim to fame was that the Outlaw Butch Cassidy's father came from Accrington........we still see lots of cowboys around
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 21:10   #21
Junior Member+

Just joined having only discovered the Accrington Web yesterday -unfortunately, thinking I was being terribly original, I have chosen a name that is already used, albeit written in a slightly different case, so forgive me, the other "accymad". Now about Harry Birtwistle - and yes, that is his real name, my grandfather always referred to him as Harry and it seems that was always his name until he went posh. Also some reference books list him as "Harrison Paul Birtwistle" but I can assure you that he was registered at birth as just plain old Harry.(But his mother's maiden name was Harrison so I suppose we should allow him the right to use it!). My mother thinks his mother came from Cheshire.
Sadly, Harry seems rather to resist too much probing about our beloved "Accy" ; in interviews his remarks may be judged as, at best, scathing about the town that in fact gave him the musical background that enabled him to go to music college. His references to his time in local amateur orchestras is remembered by him as his not having realised at the time how bad they were, which is a bit rich when one of those orchestras,The Robert Cunliffe Orchestra,( a long-standing institution run by the New Jerusalem Church, Abbey Street with financial support from philanthropic business men in the town) produced many young people who went on to be respected professional musicians (mentioning two only -John Ayre, who was 1st horn with the Halle and Marion Ayre, oboist with the BBC Scottish Symphony ).
By the way, to the contributor who thought that having the name Birtwistle meant they were probably related may be disappointed - in the 1881 Census there were 1816 Birtwistles in Lancashire, most of whom were in the Hyndburn, Blackburn, Colne area with a few towards Manchester - multiply that by the degree of increase in the population and anybody doing family history in the Accy area will probably come across a Birtwistle ! (Making us all related I suppose!!)
Accy-mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:19   #22

Hi from Paul Birtwistle known as Paul B.
There is a Birtwistle family book going back to 1120 and my own family line goes back to Huncote Hall.
I am still researching various other family members ,the latest being Bill who now lives in New Zealand and played for the All Blacks in 1966.
Sue Birtwistle is a casting director at the beeb.
Hope to catch up with some of you soon.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:21   #23
Senior Member+

Sir Harrison Birtwistle

See todays Accrington Observer, he has got a mention in it.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:58   #24
Junior Member+

Interesting to see several comments about John Tomlinson. The great man always gives full credit to his Oswaldtwistle upbringing and the debt he owes to the many years he attended the Methodist Chapel there and the experience he gained singing with the Accrington Male Voice Choir. Incidentally, John gained a fantastic review from the Daily Telegraph following his brilliant performance at the Proms earlier this week in a concert performance of Bartok's "Bluebeard's Castle" - Ivan Hewitt wrote that "John Tomlinson as Bluebeard rose magisterially above it, however" ( "it" in this case, referring to the critic's opinion that Bartok had given the orchestra too much to do !) "More importantly", continued Hewitt, "Tomlinson gave Bluebeard a world-weary and heart-sick tone that went straight to the heart of this strange and riveting drama"
Old 24-02-2005, 13:45   #25

Hello there
Just thought id confirm that Harrison is his mothers maiden name and he is called Harry as a shortened version of this (always has been) there are no pretentions with Harrison.
His music however may be more controversial than his name but is nevertheless as gritty and awesome as where he was brought up. it is meant to be heard live and LOUD!! and like it or not reflects his upbringing and surroundings of accrington - Its really weird suddenly webbing and finding a chat room about my dad - its reaaaaaallllllllly weird - but fun!!
tobester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 23:00   #26
Resident Waffler

Hello tobester. Nice to see you Do come back and join in the fun.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:51   #27

I will as and when, but dont tend to hang around computers too much, does childers lane still exist, I heard they put a motorway through it or am I going off the beaten track?
tobester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:01   #28
Give, give, give member

Does any one know which Methodist chapel John Tomlinson, was associated with in Ossy?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 12:27   #29
Junior Member+

Sorry- no, I don't know which Methodist Chapel in Oswaldtwistle John Tomlinson attended, it's just that that is how he referred to it when he mentioned it in a newspaper interview; I didn't realise myself that there was more than one!
Incidentally, John received rave reviews for his performance at Covent Garden in Siegfried this month (October 2005) and an interview with him was prominent in the 1st October 2005 edition of "The Spectator". It refers to the "popular Lancastrian with the worldwide reputation" and lists a packed diary including future appearances at Munich and Bayreuth. Amusingly John says that in Europe the name "John Tomlinson sounds quite exotic over there........!"
Old 24-10-2005, 13:11   #30
Give, give, give member

There were at least four Methodist Chapels in Oswaldtwistle then when he was growing up. Stanhill, York Street, Foxhill Grove, and Mount Pleasant.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..