Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 19:14   #1
Give, give, give member

Poet Alice Miller.

I knew she'd had books published, because she was a close friend of my great aunt and uncle, and we've inherited many of them, but it seems her fame spread further than this part of Lancashire, and that she even had her poetry used on the Royal Family's Christmas cards.

Alice Miller neé Bass
..... author, poet and playwright whose dedication to the Lancashire Authors' Association is remembered by many library users in Lancashire. She was born October 12th near Blackburn and her writing talent was quickly recognised by the headmaster at her school. At the age of 13 she left school to work in a cotton mill but struggled to improve her education by attending evening classes in Accrington and Blackburn. In 1937 she obtained an L.C.C. scholarship and took up a comprehensive training course at Hillcroft College, Surrey. In 1942 she joined the Lancashire Authors' Association, became editor of its journal The Record in 1949 and in 1963 was appointed a Vice President. She also became a member of the advisory and editorial panel of the International Who's Who in Poetry and a member of the sub-committee for the International Dictionary of Biography. Alice was also a part time drama tutor and producer for the Lancashire Federation of Community Service Clubs, a lecturer and speaker. Later in life she became a prolific writer of plays, poems, articles, stories etc both in dialect and standard English. She also wrote verses for hymns, children's stories and some of her poems appeared on Christmas cards belonging to the Royal Family. She was also very keen to preserve Lancashire heritage and her native dialect tongue and so joined the Lancashire Dialect Society as well. In 1954 her efforts were recognised by the then Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council when a new street of council houses ' Miller Close' was named in her honour

Back to home page

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2009, 19:29   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Poet Alice Miller.

Just fund one of her dialect poems on another site.

Pendle Nestlin’ Song

Cock-a-loo, a-laddie, O
Just thee howd thi hush an’ O;
Fer t’ neet hes lapped id shawl areawnd
Owd Pendle’s grey-blue hill.
Soa, sniggle to thi mammy, O,
Mi cock-a-loo, a-laddie, O;
An’ rest thee quate like t’ craathurs do,
When t’ dark bids ’em be still!

Cock-a-loo, a-laddie, O,
Just thee shut thi een, an’ O;
Fer up an’ deawn the siller steeors
Owd Nod ull ride a’ neet:
He weeors, he weeors green buckles, O,
Mi cock-a-loo, a-laddie, O;
An’ t’ moon ull paint a’ t’ winda panes,
Till mornin’ brings cock-leet!

Cock-a-loo, a-laddie, O,
Just thee goa to sleep, an’ O;
Fer sleepin’ time is growin’ time
Fer t’ chuckies, an’ fer thee!
Soa dunna laik abeawt so much;
A-showin’ a’ thi chaarms, an’ such –
Mi cock-a-loo, a-laddie, ay,
Mi cock-a-loo, a-lee!

Alice Miller

Old 09-10-2009, 19:48   #3
Give, give, give member

Incidentally she wrote a poem to be read at the funeral of my great aunt and uncle's son, Dr. Alfred Aspinall, who was killed in Aden in 1962, aged tweny seven.

My grandparents gave money to fund a prize in his memory, for the best student nurse in the district, which was won some time later by one Margaret Pilkington!

It's a small world.

Old 25-10-2009, 19:49   #4
Resting in Peace

Just realised Garinda, that this was the lady who jointly compiled a book I refer to many times called 'An Accrington Miscellany' first published in 1970.
There are a few of her poems in there ... not all Lancashire dialect, but beautifully written English prose plus a look at our Lancashire dialect. It's a lovely publication and great to hear a little more about her.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 20:13   #5
white rabbits

Thats very interesting,,,,,,,
i love dialect poetry,,,,There used to be a man from Burnley that sent many a poem to the Burnley Express,he was called Rowland Denis Kippax,,known as THOWD SYKER,,,,,,
Old 26-10-2009, 00:25   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just realised Garinda, that this was the lady who jointly compiled a book I refer to many times called 'An Accrington Miscellany' first published in 1970.
There are a few of her poems in there ... not all Lancashire dialect, but beautifully written English prose plus a look at our Lancashire dialect. It's a lovely publication and great to hear a little more about her.
Yes that's one of the books we have, that she complied with fellow poet Ronald Digby.

It's a nice gentle read.

Old 26-10-2009, 00:31   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Was just Googling, and it came up with an Accy Web link, and Bob Dobson posted this...

'Reyt. I'll pass this on to mi mate. When I did this book, I modelled it on one called 'An Accrington Miscellany', which I recommend as excellent - still on sale for next to nowt in the library. It should be on every Accrington bookshelf.'

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ure-45242.html

Old 26-10-2009, 19:23   #8
Senior Member+

I cannot recommend this book too highly. I think it is STILL on sale in the library for next to nowt.'An Accringtohn Miscellany'
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 15:44   #9
Senior Member+

Accrington Miscellany - AND ... just noticed the back cover of this book has ALL the answers to Retlaws question about what can be seen in the 1848 view of Accrington! Haha! so thats how you know!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 19:29   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Accrington Miscellany - AND ... just noticed the back cover of this book has ALL the answers to Retlaws question about what can be seen in the 1848 view of Accrington! Haha! so thats how you know!
LOL Atarah .. noticed that meself 2 days ago ... under me nose all the time. Well, only said taken from Hollin's Fields though.
Old 27-10-2009, 21:08   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
When was that book published. ?
Don't have that one in my collection.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 21:48   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Retlaw
Now , you who wants specs ... read back posts ... first published 1970 ..

'By Borough of Accrington, Library and Art Gallery Committe'

There is a forward by Alderman W. Brownbill. Remember him very well ... what a gentleman he was.
Old 28-10-2009, 07:29   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Retlaw

First published 1970.

Old 31-08-2011, 12:45   #14
Give, give, give member

Pendle Nestlin’ Song.

Poem Pendle Nestlin' Song

(With audio of the poem being read.)

Old 31-08-2011, 17:38   #15
God Member

I write better poetry than that.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..