Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By ferret man
  • 1 Post By Mark2009
  • 1 Post By Frank T

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2018, 21:14   #1
Senior Member+

Jim Bowen

Jim, whop died yesterday, came to Accrington Grammar School late, having moved here from the Wirral. He was a helluva character. He stoo0d as an idepednet in the 1955 mock election , polling 91 votes, which was more than some others - a sign of his popularity. He left aged 16 with no GCEs, but retuned in the September to achieve some passes, which took him to Teachers Training College. He then worked locally before becoming a full-time comedian.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2018, 21:48   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Jim Bowen

His wife, Phyllis was our PE teacher at Woodnook Secondary school...she was only little but my goodness she was fierce.
Rest in Peace Jim...you made me laugh.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 00:36   #3
Full Member+

Sad to hear, it seems me and a long term friend we seem to text about celebs dying, which as we get older seems to happen more... Ken Dodd, Stephen Hawkins and Jim Bowens - and that's just recently..............
Old 15-03-2018, 09:58   #4
Senior Member+

There's an excellent obituary in the Daily Telegraph today, though it doesn't mention him being Jim Whittaker. His middle name was Brown, though he usually used only the letter B. That B, when added to his wife's maiden name of Owen, became Bowen.
wadey likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 21:57   #5
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There's an excellent obituary in the Daily Telegraph today, though it doesn't mention him being Jim Whittaker. His middle name was Brown, though he usually used only the letter B. That B, when added to his wife's maiden name of Owen, became Bowen.
Quite amusing reading the part about his wife's maiden name becoming his stage name, it makes me think of how his early life as a "School Teacher" played a part in his later life on TV, the name that links the two is BULLY.
boxermum likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 18:06   #6

Was lucky enough to see Jim at Martholme Grange probably over 30 years ago. The room was full to the seams and he had everybody laughing.
Mark
Jim Procter likes this.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:12   #7

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim on a number of occasions, my mate Peter Rimmer was his driver, I swapped shifts a number of times so Peter would be free. A very funny man with no airs and graces with Jim you got what it said on the tin. R.I.P. Jim we`ll miss you.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..