Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steerforth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2020, 14:25   #1

Eddie Paynter

Perhaps the most famous of his Test appearances came against Australia, on the "Bodyline tour" of 1932/33. At Brisbane, Paynter was taken to hospital suffering from tonsillitis, yet with England in difficulty at 216/6 in reply to Australia's 340, came out to bat. After spending the night in hospital, he made his way to 83 and helped his team to an unlikely first-innings lead, and though he only fielded for a couple of hours, returned for the second innings and had the honour of hitting the winning runs – with a six off Stan McCabe. Paynter averaged a fine 61.33 over his five innings on this tour.

I found this clipping in my files. It must be from about 1975. My mum and dad always told a story: After Eddie got up from his sick bed and won the ashes, the town of Clayton-le-Moors held a welcoming party for him. Everybody was gathered outside the local church waiting for him to arrive, but Eddie was late. The preacher's young son grew very impatient, and suddenly yelled out at the top of his lungs, "WHERE'S THIS BLOODY PAINTER?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eddie Paynter.jpg (723.4 KB, 9 views)
cashman likes this.
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2020, 19:06   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Eddie Paynter

I was in the Enfield pavilion a couple of years ago. Eddie's photo on the wall was in a dreadful condition. I hope it's been refreshed. When I was a teenager in the 50s, I watched Enfield most weeks - or rather every other week, but don't remember even hearing his name mentioned, though my dad had told me the story.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 11:20   #3

I also watched the Enfield team in the fities with my Dad, mainly to watch Sir Clive Walcott, but my Dad would point out the fact that the English cricketer Eddie Paynter was also there.
Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 16:48   #4
Senior Member+

Clyde Walcott was my No 1 Hero in the 50s when he was pro at Enfield. None of the other pros came anywhere near him.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 07:28   #5

Sorry for the "Clive" mistake, yes it was of course "Clyde". Memory these days getting a little foggier!
Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..