Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2009, 08:13   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Any Job ASAP??

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I think most of the criticism was in good faith, speaking as an employer, I get many requests from job seekers, and if the writer does not have the sense to spell check, then I would not respond, for Ossywarrior to then 'tell people off' for mentioning it, whilst submitting another spelling mistake was quite funny, we all make spelling mistakes in posts, but to make so many, in a 'job application' isnt very good in my book. I do wish you well in finding work though Kathryn.
I admit to thinking the same Derek but did not post as I am going through a nice phase
Old 21-05-2009, 09:15   #17

Many people cannot read or write in this country and are not computer literate in terms of spell check, hey i would never knock them some of these individuals have excellent knowledge and skills in other areas and can be hard working individuals, i feel everyone deserves a chance when willing to seek employment.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 18:00   #18
God Member

Most of our work involves computer data, and paperwork at some stage, regardless of the position, how then, could I employ any person who was liable to make errors whilst inputting data, filing paperwork, or submitting written correspondence, using the application at the start of this thread?, I would expect a serious applicant to use a dictionary, ask another person, spell check, or use whatever means necessary to make the initial application look at least average, otherwise, how could you expect to get through the door of a prospective employer? there are still some jobs which do not require correct grammar, computer literacy, calculation etc, but are very few and far between.

Last edited by derekgas; 21-05-2009 at 18:01. Reason: spelling error!!!
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 18:32   #19
Senior Member+

I think everyone deserves the chance of a job , How are these youngsters supposed to get jobs , when there are three million unemployed ?
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 19:16   #20

Try harder at school?
Whilst I agree there are some who are dyslexic there are also those who couldn't give a monkey's and are in that position through laziness. Would you employ that person?? I wouldn't.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 20:35   #21
Senior Member+

This lass is in catch 22 , she needs a job to get experience , that's what they ask for , but if she can't get the job , how the hell does she go about it ? Que Derek ?
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 21:00   #22
God Member

As phil says, try harder at school, or at least make the effort when you write a job application, otherwise, you end up with a job that needs little skill and will probably be low paid, if people dont appear to put much effort in, then how do they expect employers to put some effort into training them? Youngsters dont find work through experience, they find it through good education, and if they are for some unfortunate reason unable to obtain that, grit and determination will help, poor grammar is ok in many instances, but in my opinion, not in a job application, when there is so much help available. Through no fault of my own, I left school with no qualifications, I now have many, and those were obtained by study and hard work.
Old 21-05-2009, 22:39   #23
Senior Member+

since when was this thread the girl started a chuffin APPLICATION FORM !!!!....all i see her doing is askin if there are jobs available, im not the best for grammar or punctuation at the best of times but when on a computer at home relaxed i dont really give two hoots, IF i was writing/typing an APPLICATION FORM i would then use spell check to ensure all is correct.....

get off the lasse back and get a chuffin life, instead of calling others for showing a bit of initiative...

oh and if you spot any mistakes with my grammar/spelling or anything else....guess what .....

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 23:38   #24
Senior Member+

Because Blackburn Raver she is basicly placing herself within a shop window. All they are saying is to ensure that she spells words correctly and not use slang such as 'ard'. A) Because we all dont speak slang on 'ere' and B) Prospective employers will make judgement. Friendly Advice is what its know as
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 06:01   #25
God Member

think its a bit rich when a dumb trade school 'plumber/gas fire installer" is bitching about grammer from someone who it seems is genuinely is looking for a job and is prepared to clean up your childrens rubbish, and clean your nasty bathrooms, and probably bathe your bedridden parents , it doesn't seem like she has been working the system for years or producing a kid with a different father every rice crop to stay on benefits .....give the lass a chance

Last edited by Mick; 22-05-2009 at 06:11. Reason: language
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 08:13   #26
God Member

Dumb steeljack? thats a bit over the top! What are you? A rocket scientist? I was merely stating that I had no qualifications when I left school, I spent 7 years training for my trade, and did my gcse's after I left school, since then, I have trained as an advanced plumber, a heating engineer (Nat gas and LPG), Solar energy, Ground source heating, underfloor heating, and several others, displaying that I worked hard to make myself employable, as it is, I employ 11 staff, in 2 succesful businesses, I am not, and never will be a millionaire, not because I dont work hard enough, but because I am honest! I take great exception to being labelled dumb, even from somebody who may be better educated, richer, or may have done better for themselves than I have.... the point is, I DID MY BEST, and this didnt seem to be the case in the opening post.
Old 22-05-2009, 08:16   #27

And she has not come back either, maybe she is busy studying or has got work now
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 08:31   #28
God Member

I sincerely hope she has Mattylad, it is a shame that Kathryns supporters on here appear not to be employers who could offer her work.
Old 22-05-2009, 18:09   #29
Senior Member+

Derek if I had a job to give her I would at least offer her an interview. I wasn't getting at your post ( as you know), I just think it's sad that others on here are so quick to jump on new members when we need new input and new blood. And just to prove my point one of "esteemed" members even threw some negative karma my way! ( not bothered because it's beyond the realms of silliness!) but just goes to show how petty people can be.
Old 22-05-2009, 18:37   #30
God Member

Thanks Linds, I didnt think you were having a go at me, I agree we should encourage new members, reading back, my original post could be interpreted as having a go at the lass, but I really wasnt, I was trying to help Kathryn to help herself, others have since made this thread appear to be a place where members are having a go at each other on a regular basis, as we both know, it isnt the case (except for a few), anyway, I still wish Kathryn well in her search for work, and hope somebody can help.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..