Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By Busman747
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Rowlf
  • 1 Post By Turtle
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 2 Post By ossy kid
  • 1 Post By Barrie Yates
  • 1 Post By Eric
  • 4 Post By Gremlin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2016, 11:55   #1
Always EVIL within us

Thumbs up Education in the Latter Years.

Are you an oldie and wished that you could have achieved more when you were younger? Why not do it now?

Willow the Whisp started college 3 years ago, achieved "A" level in Aromatherapy and continued on with a degree course.

Tomorrow we travel up to Carlisle for graduation day because she passed with a distinction!
Not bad for a 63 year old

Just goes to show that age is NOT a limit.
Eric, Judith Addison and Turtle like this.
Old 11-07-2016, 13:39   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Education in the Latter Years.

What an inspiration that is. Congratulate her from me...tell her very well done.
You are spot on...age is not a limit......you can do anything if you have the heart and the enthusiasm.
Judith Addison likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 13:47   #3
Full Member+

Well Done Willow the Whisp. A wonderful achievement. You should be proud of yourself as I am sure your family are.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:19   #4

Congrats Willow the Wisp! I know how hard it is to go back to school as an adult - I did it at age 45. I found that I appreciated being educated a lot more than the first go around, although I detested exams and essays even more!

Last edited by Turtle; 12-07-2016 at 12:20. Reason: Goofed
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33   #5
Beacon of light

I did a City and Guilds in my late 40s. I enjoyed the challenge.....was not fond of creating aims and objectives....and I positively shook when my tutors observed my teaching in class.
I agree with you Carolyn, I valued the chance to learn far more the second time around and was far more focused and enthusiastic.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 14:31   #6
Senior Member+

Sorry, didn't like it the first time round, my brain is too full of good junk to learn out new but well done to those who can.
cashman and Judith Addison like this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 01:52   #7
God Member

I was 47 when I defended my doctoral thesis. Three members of my examining committee were younger than I was ... and they probably still are I believe that they were the first ones to nod off as I rambled on in great detail about patterns and watermarks (and let's not forget forged watermarks) in paper, and about imperfections in type, and consistency of errors among various compositors in mid eighteenth century London printing houses. And how relatively simple it is to identify the different printers involved in various editions and impressions of Tom Jones. Feeling drowsy yet

What the hell, learning shiite is a blast ... it's a pity that schools and universities take all the fun out of it. Seems that the only positives about university education for the young are the seemingly unlimited opportunities for getting wasted and getting laid.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 09:23   #8
Senior Member+

I found my post schooling education/training to be far more readily absorbed. Six years of day/night school (flunked one year), then a further five years of training schools and manufacturers courses.
Well worthwhile although at times extremely demanding.
Good luck to anyone who wants to further themselves, and congratulations to everyone who has taken the opportunities and been successful.
Old 29-07-2016, 18:49   #9
God Member

Oops ... almost forgot my manners: Congratulations Willow. Have a happy graduation day.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 19:23   #10
Senior Member+

My lady-friend got a B.A (hons) in fine art when she was 63 at J M U Liverpool.
Since then she has put it to good use by selling art and getting good prices.
Even having an exhibition in Japan.
Old 29-07-2016, 21:44   #11
Senior Member+

My friend also has RNMS after her name Margaret. I'm sure you will know what it means.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..