Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2005, 18:27   #1

As promised......

after some negativity in my 'poor gates' thread, I did indeed grace the I.E.S with my presence today.

Thought id just report back with my observations/thoughts!!

The performance and reslut were excellent. It was a good game that Crawley also contributed to and I felt I got good VFM.

The bar has improved hugely. The new seating area and projector are a massive improvement and there were plenty of bar staff as well which was good to see.

It was also nice to see 3 new portable TV's in the corners, you know how much I like my tele's!!

On the playing side I though Mullin did really well, he seemed much fitter and sharper than last time I was coming down regularly. Much more involved and he seemed to have a bit more 'bite' to his game. I have often though he was a bit 'soft' for a man his size. Great performance by him today though, deserved a goal.

Craney seemed to look far more accomplished than he was, Jags was neat and tidy as always and Roberts was also impressive. He's no Rory though.

I thought Cavanagh looked far more solid defensively than he used to, dont know if its something they've worked on but I felt 'safer' down that side.

Brown was quality throughout, probably shaved Stanley MOM for me. His touch and movement just seemed a cut above and he was always available for the intelligent pass to feet.

Absolutely loved Mangan's cameo appearance.

Full of energy and movement. I would call him the non-league Fillipo Inzaghi based on what I saw today!! Not pretty but he gets the job done!! I'll keep an eye on him.

Outstanding player on the field for me though was Crawleys number 10 Burton.

Looked a different class with every touch, I fancy he'll be playing league before long. (depending on his age of course, dont know anything of him)

The only player I thought was quite poor today for Stanley was that Barry lad. Never seen him before, dont know anything about him but he looked off the pace to me.

All round it was a very positive day though, great performance and I had a really good time.

Much more enjoyable than the dross I saw when I came on last year.

The only bone of contention I have, and it is an important one for me, was what I saw as the absolutely disgraceful treatment of Robbie Williams.

Its the first game ive seen this season and I would have to assume he has been 'rocky'of recent, if you excuse the pun. BUT...his performance today did not merit the ridiculous shouting and barrage of criticismand abuse he was getting from some people.

He wasn't great but he wasn't shocking either. I fear he has become a scapegoat because he was being blamed by people near me for EVERY defensive blunder. There was one time in particular the ball wasn't even on his side of the pitch, nowhere near him, and STILL it was his fault!!

One thing I would have to say about Rocky from the historical experience I have of watching him is that the thing you can guarantee from him is that he will give you his all.

Criticise a player by all means if he isn't giving 100 per cent, to criticise him for making ricks like he is though, you're just going to destroy the lad.

He did look shaky and he's obviously lacking confidence, giving him a good slating isn't going to help that though is it??

I like him, I think he's a good player going through a bad patch and he needs supporting now more than ever, certainly not being made a scapegoat for every defensive lapse.

Whatever your view of his performance, it is the manager who picks the team. If Rocky turns up and gives his best what more can you ask??

If his best isn't good enough its the manager you need to get on to, not the player.

Like I say, all in all a cracking day and i'll be back next time im free.

Better be on some pix kipax!!
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2005, 19:54   #2
Senior Member+

Re: As promised......

Welcome back to the I.E.S. Staveros, fair points made, however, there is another thread on this subject. Just one criticism though. You were astounded by the barracking Rocky was getting, well let me assure you, I have seen him on a number of occasions this season, both home and away, and I believe the barracking he was getting WAS fair, his ball control was sadly lacking and on a number of occasions in today's and previous encounters, he's left the fans with their hearts in their mouths. We need a steady eddie type of central defender and he is NOT up to the job at this moment in time. Perhaps a spell with the reserves might help him.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 22:16   #3
Senior Member+

i admit rocky hasnt been up to standard but the stuff he gets blamed for is just laughable.........
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 23:06   #4

stop this rocky nonsense. it ant Premiership. There's never gonna be any perfection. Just ask today's referee or even Crawley's keeper!!!
Old 18-09-2005, 00:14   #5
Senior Member+

Or You Cotty hehe

maybe he has been at fault for things but lets just get behind the team

cmon stanley
Old 18-09-2005, 06:42   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staveros

The performance and reslut were excellent.

How dare you! Reslut?????

Don't stand so closely behind me then next time.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 18:23   #7
Senior Member+

Staveros, were you by any chance the Scouser who chose to park in the Crown car park ?

As for never having heard of Barry? Trainee @ Everton !

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 18:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy
Staveros, were you by any chance the Scouser who chose to park in the Crown car park ?

As for never having heard of Barry? Trainee @ Everton !
No wasnt me.

Yeah I know its him now, didnt know his first name when I posted.

Id heard of him but thats it, never spoken about with any serious potential.

Based on saturday I can see why we released him!!

If they want some serious talent from the blues they should see if they can get Victor Anichebe or Paul Hopkins on loan. Doubt it though cos we've got a few injuries now and being reserve regs they might be needed in emergency.
Old 18-09-2005, 18:58   #9

Barry wasn't at his best, but in similar fashion to Proctor, he is always willing to give it his all, and will chase down every player. Top bloke!

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 21:10   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
No wasnt me.

Yeah I know its him now, didnt know his first name when I posted.

Id heard of him but thats it, never spoken about with any serious potential.

Based on saturday I can see why we released him!!

If they want some serious talent from the blues they should see if they can get Victor Anichebe or Paul Hopkins on loan. Doubt it though cos we've got a few injuries now and being reserve regs they might be needed in emergency.
Ha Ha what a great post serious talent from the Blues... O please it hurts, your having a laugh who came back from europe first the team or the postcard.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 22:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Ha Ha what a great post serious talent from the Blues... O please it hurts, your having a laugh who came back from europe first the team or the postcard.
Its true lad, cant argue with you.

*Unnecessary comment deleted*

Last edited by ZOMBIE; 19-09-2005 at 06:36.
Old 19-09-2005, 12:00   #12
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Staveros]No wasnt me.

Makes me wonder how many of the crowd are scousers.

Anyway totally agree with you about the treatment of Rocky, it's the same every season. Couldn't believe it when I first came to Stanley that quite a few came on just to moan, looks like they're coming back. It's just as easy to encourage and might actually help.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.

Last edited by Oggy; 19-09-2005 at 12:10. Reason: Pressed wrong button
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 13:00   #13

[QUOTE=Oggy]
Quote:

I'm hardly a lad, Staveros. But yes I remember the Goodison lot really giving it to Alex Scott when he first arrived from Rangers, then suddenly he took us to Wembley and was reborn as Chicco.

I'm happy to get behind Coley's choice, whoever it may be.
Good lad(turn of phrase!!)

Nice to have a fellow blue on here, just the 3 against the arse tonight would be a nice tonic!!
Old 19-09-2005, 13:14   #14

I've tidied the thread up a bit and removed certain content.

Staveros - please read the T&Cs for what is acceptable 'banter' on this forum. Link below.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/t...ease-read.html

General League/Premiership content should be directed towards the General Football forum. This forum is for Non-League and Stanley content. Please read the above T&Cs for clarification.
Old 19-09-2005, 13:17   #15
God Member

thank goodness for Zombie, voice of reason. Did try to warn you staveros, it was nothing personal but did think it was unacceptable.

Saying all that keep visiting the interlink and you will still get a welcome from me. Ask around and I'm sure someone will point me out.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..