Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2006, 14:30   #1
Senior Member+

Best Fans in the Land

A little bit tired of the depressing thread about numbers of fans as its always quality over quantity (just look at half the Premiership fans)

So, lets use this for tales of motivational speeches by Jack Barrett, tales of non-league fans flying to Barbados with their team & planes circling Turf Moor. More stories needed & best anecdotes, features or pics will be used for a similar article in Volume 2 of ASFC fanzine No F in Roof

Thank You ASFC fans everywhere!

I'll start with this pic the likes of which is rarely seen in this country & pioneered at our level by ASFC fans

Halifax Away & 250 red & white streamers are released in the home of the orcs! Lovely

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2006, 14:52   #2
God Member

Re: Best Fans in the Land

The best away story I have following stanley is when we went down to Dover on a tuesday night. We where playing Margate who didnt have a ground so game was Tuesday .. In May.. what a daft night.

Anyways word got to the players coach that some dippy stanley fans where actually making the trip down and so they had a whip round on the bus.. all the players and staff (and a little birdy tells me paul cook was very generous) When we got to the ground Rob Heys handed 100 quid over to get every stanley fan a drink or whatever..

Can you see a premiership or league team doing that?

Lots of other stories.. a lot that cant be told
Old 16-08-2006, 14:57   #3
Resting in Peace

May I just state that when I've covered game at Turf Moor and Ewood there have been times that I wonder who is the home support as if they not playing well they seem to go very quiet.

I have noticed that at FES that didn't apply last season nor at the Daro game that I got to late on.

Keep up the noise and act as the 12th player I have the upmost respect for ALL of the fans at ASFC as they have ALL pulled the team along when they have need to be pulled up or increase the tempo.

Let raise the roof on Monday (opppssssssssssss not yet got on on clayton end but hopefuly one day it will be built) and make sure Notts Forrest know that they are the visitors
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 14:58   #4
Junior Member+

Just a quick note dude, its Nottingham Forest and Notts County...
Rich B NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:01   #5
God Member

Best singsong at a footy match was away to gateshead (lost 5-1) The whole stanly contingent sang red and white army....eric, franks, everyones red and white army for half an hr much to the bemusement of the home fans in the same stand.. I will never forget that one.
Old 16-08-2006, 15:02   #6
Resting in Peace

ok rich sorry but I call both teams Notts as they from nottingham but will stand corrected.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:07   #7
Junior Member+

Cheers Bert
Rich B NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Can you see a premiership or league team doing that?
i dunno

but ive seen a league team organise a plane to fly over burnley long before stanley did
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:14   #9
God Member

The most memorable matches for me were:
Peter Swales Trophy at Eton Park against Burton Albion.
Burton had just been promoted to the conference and we had won the cup so it was a 'charity shield' type affair.
The thugs of Burton's howls of "Stand Up For The Champions" were nothing compared to the Stanley cries of "Nigel Clough is illegitimate...."
Paul Burns robbing my jangly hat in the bar afterwards & Jamo making three winners entrances into the bar! Quality!

The other one was away at Whitby in our Unibond winning year.
Stanley had played Droylsden just the day before and we still beat Whitby 4-0, with a 30 minute long version of "We've got the best team in the land..."
Also Jonny Smith there absolutely spaced out after being battered against Droylsden, broken nose, cheekbone, & so much concusion he didn't even remember his wife being preggers! "Where did you get that from?!" he shouted when she walked in the Whitby bar
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:18   #10

the support at bournemouth for the cup game was amazing....and the chant of "your french and you know you are" made me chuckle

30 odd stanley fans in crowd over 2000 at telford singing "your supposed to be at home" and "S*** ground no fans"......pure class
glosterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:19   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater_scott
i dunno

but ive seen a league team organise a plane to fly over burnley long before stanley did
Thought it was Garner?

& remember we were NON LEAGUE FANS mate!

So whether you did or didn't - we better

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 16-08-2006, 15:24   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Best singsong at a footy match was away to gateshead (lost 5-1) The whole stanly contingent sang red and white army....eric, franks, everyones red and white army for half an hr much to the bemusement of the home fans in the same stand.. I will never forget that one.
TBH we've done that loads & loads of times Morecambe when getting stuffed in Marsden, Grays away was excellent for making home support sit up & take notice, the 5 or 6 times last year we sang the home support out of the ground & had to be evicted....

Best for atmosphere was Unibond 1 away at Radcliffe 2-0 the rest is history. As a part time Accy fan until then the atmosphere created that day made me go away regular when until then I'd been a home bunny.
If there are any home bunnies reading, get your self on an away trip - it could be ****, it could also be another Radcliffe away

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 16-08-2006, 15:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller
Thought it was Garner?

& remember we were NON LEAGUE FANS mate!

So whether you did or didn't - we better
garner was rumoured to have put some money into it

but it was the fans that carried it out

they say the best form of flattery is copying
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:35   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater_scott
they say the best form of flattery is copying
Were your lot flattering canvey island then when you took 30 fans to Everton?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:39   #15

Let's not forget the special ones, the 10 brave folk who drove to Hereford for the FA Trophy match, on a Tuesday night. Bravo!

Singing Red'n'White Army for the ENTIRE second half away to Morecambe in the Lancs Trophy, I was absolutely hoarse by the end, and still kept on singing...even though we got absolutely battered, and had Rory Prendergast and Dean Calcutt sent off.

Leaving Cambridge Uniteds ground after a 3-1 mauling, and singing as loud and proud as we could, inciting some cows in the process.

Travelling all the way to Colchester on a Tuesday night, not being allowed in the pubs when we got there, having to use some of the most foul toilets known to man (which were to be used by both men and women!), being spat at by Col U's animals, watching Coley get himself into a spot of bother at half-time, losing until very late on in the game and STILL we sang loud and proud.

At the end of the day, whether 10 or a 1000 turn up, whether we win, lose or draw, whether we've had a long or short journey, whether the match has been really important and fills us with dread and nerves, or whether we are playing in the mickey mouse cup, whether it rains or shines, whoever the opposition, wherever in the Country we are, whatevr we've put up with to get to the match and whatever we have to put up with at the match, we will always be as loud and proud as possible, and THAT is what makes us the greatest set of fans in football.

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..