Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2007, 10:45   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Reflections on the Leicester game

As I was stewarding in the away end, gotta say, they all thought their team was sh1te and were lucky to be still in the comp. They agreed they got battered by the better team in the second half, just a shame we came up against a goalie who was their best player by a country mile and the reluctance to shoot when in the box. Do think Stanley players would make life a little easier by playing the simple one-twos instead of trying to out football a footballing side and if in range and sight of the goal, shoot the ball instead of trying for a better position coz we lost the ball on more occasions than I care to remember. My biggest worry about last night though, is the number of scouts from other teams watching the match!!! As much as I know players want to better themselves (and who can blame them) we want them to stop at Stanley (Rommy, MIles, Roberts etc). Please can we leave McEvilly on the bench or out of the team and use McGivern instead though. Stupid booking last night, he has not changed a bit since last time and he is the sole reason our bookings and red cards will rocket this season.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2007, 10:50   #32
I am Banned

LOL Ozzy echoed about Evil i would of preferred Mcgivern on but hey ho thats Coley, he's given him the chance i suppose. I thinkk in some parts that owd 'hesitation bit' got in the way when it comes to shooting the target.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 10:54   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Yep it was a dismal support as the clayton end wasn't full loads of big gaps, me & Jimbo had that conversation after as to whether if the roof had been completed if that would of encouraged a lot more support with regards to the weather
I am not a football fan but it seems that if the roof had been finished the supporters would have been more likely to attend. I have heard these fans talking whilst out and about and am sure that they want to back their team but at the same time I am sure they would prefer to be dry whilst doing so.
Old 15-08-2007, 10:59   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I am not a football fan but it seems that if the roof had been finished the supporters would have been more likely to attend. I have heard these fans talking whilst out and about and am sure that they want to back their team but at the same time I am sure they would prefer to be dry whilst doing so.

I dont know what the hold up with the roof is? but doesnt look like it will be completed in a hurry so be no covering up for saturday so hope the weather is better, but i do beleive the 'getting wet' issue does make a small difference to a few people who thought better of it last night

Its quite fun getting wet or big dripped on
Old 15-08-2007, 11:01   #35
Senior Member+

The issue with the roof is perplexing to say the least.

According to last night's programme, Eric Whalley said it would be completed when there was a 'window in the fixture list'. Surely the last 3 weeks was a perfect window? Double glazed as well.

He also took another pop at this messageboard and the inaccuracy of the rumours that have been posted here. Perhaps if the club was more forthcoming with news we wouldn't have to speculate and depend on rumours for our information.
Old 15-08-2007, 11:04   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
The issue with the roof is perplexing to say the least.

According to last night's programme, Eric Whalley said it would be completed when there was a 'window in the fixture list'. Surely the last 3 weeks was a perfect window? Double glazed as well.
TM u can say that again LOL surely thats going to be some while of then if he's waiting for that then the bad weather really sets in.
Old 15-08-2007, 11:10   #37
God Member

Brollies.. I saw england ones.. i saw plain and differnt coloured ones.. I even saw zero under a leapord skin effect one (well it was behind him but still looks funny hehe)

But I didn't see one fan in the pouring rain with a stanleys' brolley.. Why?
Old 15-08-2007, 11:41   #38
Senior Member+

we had ours with us, but didn't put it up coz it would have blocked peoples veiw. had we been stood in our normal place it would have been up.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 11:52   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
He also took another pop at this messageboard and the inaccuracy of the rumours that have been posted here. Perhaps if the club was more forthcoming with news we wouldn't have to speculate and depend on rumours for our information.
What exactly did he say? I don't buy a programme in case I have to do the cross-bar challenge - mind you I think I could have bettered last night's efforts even though I was wearing my climbing boots!
Agree about the roof - surely the addition of cladding should be a minor job compared with all the work done up to date?
Why can't we ever get a straight story????
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 11:58   #40
Junior Member+

Have tried to avoid posting as this is a fans forum and thus reflects their opinion which they are quite rightly entitled to. However can't believe the criticism of our booking last night. Having spoken to both the assessor and the referee it was agreed that a mistake had been made as Lee made no contact at all with their player. It is bad enough officials pre judging players without our own fans doing the same. We have made a concerted effort to improve our discipline this season and are moving in the right direction. Cavs booking on Saturday was also harsh as he got the ball. No I am not being biased and there will be times when we are quite rightly punished and times when we are lucky and escape lightly but these two cards were unjust.

Keep the faith
coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 12:05   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
we had ours with us, but didn't put it up coz it would have blocked peoples veiw. had we been stood in our normal place it would have been up.
Yup can confirm u definately had yours, so thats one i saw up close & personal
Old 15-08-2007, 12:06   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
As I was stewarding in the away end, gotta say, they all thought their team was sh1te.
Please can we leave McEvilly on the bench or out of the team and use McGivern instead though
"****e" is a bit strong - some of their passing and movement off the ball was scary, but when we stuck like glue to them and then took a leaf out of their book we looked more like the Championship team.
Agreed, McEvilly looked out of his depth last night, let down by a very poor first touch on the ball. The report on Leicester's website said he missed a free header to equalise, but that's unfair - he was under extreme pressure from one of their defenders and nearly made it. Our fitness levels looked awesome last night - well done to the trainers!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 12:10   #43
God Member

Quote:
Does that mean any rumours in the newspapers are all true then. Forums and rumours are as much a part of football as foreign players and diving techniques these days
Old 15-08-2007, 15:50   #44

I'm new to this forum but have to agree with redraines comments about the crowd. I went along with my kid brothers and really talked the match up. The game itself was great, Stanley put in a top performance which bodes well for the season, and we all agreed that Leicester's keeper kept them in it. But I'd reckon there were at least 1100 Leicester fans which means less than 1000 for Stanley. Roof or no roof that's just not good enough - we were playing the biggest club that's ever been to the FES and if people won't turn out for that what will they turn out for?! At least the fans who did brave the weather got behind the team. The atmosphere was great.
Forever Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 16:00   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
What exactly did he say?
I can't remember off hand, but it was to dismiss the rumour of putting seats in the Clayton End. EW said that was not going to happen, but he was critical of 'websites' that produced such rumours. I blame Macca for all this.

I too thought the team looked very fit last night and energy levels were still high even at the end. The only player who looked out of sorts was McEvilly, who still looked a few weeks short of his best.

A fit McEvilly is exactly what we need up front in this league. If he's working on it, then I'll give him time to get there. I really hope he does it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..