Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 21:04   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington Stanley - Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo T Hornblower View Post
this is a behind the scenes documentary not an advert and it was never intended to be
Jimbo T blower
I agree - but it IS an advert whether we like it or not, and whether it was intended to be or not. This is probably all that the non-committed will ever see of the business that is Accrington Stanley Football Club. I think there is a "big fuss" because our opinions differ about whether what has been seen will be good for the business that is Accrington Stanley Football Club.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2008, 21:24   #107
Senior Member+

Why would football fans worry about "business"....... Surely that s Eric & the boards business or are even we, as grass roots fans, getting embroiled in more board room talk than football talk...... FC NOT PLC!!!!!!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 21:33   #108
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post
Why would football fans worry about "business".
How often do we read about "lack of resources", "shoestring budget" etc in these posts? Better business = better resources = ability to attract better players = better football.
Old 06-10-2008, 22:29   #109
Senior Member+

Quote:
I wish you would speak proper english sometimes yonmon instead of talking in riddles . What do you mean by being under pressure to maintain a stereotype??

Jimbo T blower
I do get a bit carried away at times JT !...as you will have noticed!...and I do take your point about our support for the Reds being a thing of passion !, which is an element within us all that will keep us going to the FES whatever happens!
As to'conforming to the stereotype'....well perhaps you'll concede that some do and others don't !....or am I talking in riddles again??....Oh eck !, I'll shut up !

Respect and Regards across the miles!.

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40   #110
Resting In Peace

Eric was probably filmed for hours and hours which was edited down to minutes. If all the swearing and cursing had been edited out it would probably have been a boring documentary. Don't you think that Granada showed the swearing and cursing on purpose to make it more entertaining. If the programme hadn't showed Eric swearing and cursing nobody would be discussing the programme now and probably saying that it was a waste of time. I don't think it will put anybody off going to FES to watch Stanley, it's just that the Accrington public can't be bothered to go.

Definition of documentary - emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings or insertion of fictional matter

A non-fiction motion picture film having a theme or viewpoint but drawing its material from actual events and using editing and sound to enhance the theme
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07   #111

Smile Re: Accrington Stanley - Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Definition of documentary - emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings or insertion of fictional matter

A non-fiction motion picture film having a theme or viewpoint but drawing its material from actual events and using editing and sound to enhance the theme
Ta daaaaa!

Revived Red, this might be all that the 'committed' see about the business of Accrington Stanley Football club also. I would consider myself committed all be it at a distance, but for those lucky souls that get to go week in week out, still wouldnt get to see what was shown in that episode unless its a prize for a competition etc. Even then you wouldnt be allowed into lets say the prematch meeting with John and Eric - but the cameras were....

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 13:19   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ta daaaaa!

Revived Red, this might be all that the 'committed' see about the business of Accrington Stanley Football club also.
Jimbo T blower
Sorry, Jimbo. Not sure I agree with that. The "committed" probably see the website, the messageboard, the match programme, and maybe a few games too.

Anyway, it's been good to read the varied opinions. That's what this messageboard is all about.
Old 07-10-2008, 14:39   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Sorry, Jimbo. Not sure I agree with that. The "committed" probably see the website, the messageboard, the match programme, and maybe a few games too.

Anyway, it's been good to read the varied opinions. That's what this messageboard is all about.
Does this signal some sort of capitulation Red.?...just when it's all getting rather interesting !.There will be more episodes requiring your considered opinion coming along soon ...stay with !.us

'ON STANLEY!....ON!'
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 15:18   #114
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Does this signal some sort of capitulation Red.?...just when it's all getting rather interesting !.There will be more episodes requiring your considered opinion coming along soon ...stay with !.us

'ON STANLEY!....ON!'
I trust you will be giving us your thoughts on episode 2 in The Oaklea on Saturday, YM? I also await Alfred E's comments with interest!
Old 07-10-2008, 15:38   #115
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Putting the swearing aside a bloody dingle at work is taking great pleasure in singing the old song about "loooking in dustbins for something to eat", nice one Eric.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 16:20   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Nope; certainly no capitulation! Merely a temporary pause. I was starting to feel that the exchange of thoughts was reaching stalemate.
Old 09-10-2008, 19:30   #117

Got a couple of beers chilling in anticipation of a great nights entertainment when tonights espisode is aired, the 'Swearbox' is out at the ready
OLDHAMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 20:08   #118

DAMN!
Forgot the 2 Hollands to go with em
Us 'True' Lancashire folk love these timeless delicacies
OLDHAMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 22:15   #119
K-P

Calling jimmy bell a girl... only eric could get away with that.... cracking program tonight. starting to warm to it...
Old 09-10-2008, 22:24   #120
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

enjoyed it tonight, coleys passion fer stanley really shone through i thought. will miss the next 2, so if i grovel n kiss yer feet, wynonie will ya tape em fer me, oh handsome one.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..