Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

We are front and back page new in the LET today Accrington Stanley bets probe: reaction (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Accrington Stanley players in match bets probe (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Suspicion grew before Stanley lost Bury game (From Lancashire Telegraph)

We will kick them out if they are guilty - Accrington Stanley (From Lancashire Telegraph)

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Spot on, mate. totally poleaxed by this...didn't sleep much last night...previous matches and incidents keep playing over in my head...missed open goals and penalties...matches that we were winning only to lose in the last few minutes...maybe all completely innocent, but who knows now?

Also keep thinking about all the waiting in the rain at bus stops...standing on freezing station platforms...rushing up to Accy on dark, depressing Tuesday nights...Saturday afternoons spent in dismal places like Mansfield and Burslem...and for what?...to have this thrown in my face?

The mickey-taking has already started from other fans, but that doesn't bother me...after 49 years supporting the Stanley I've grown used to it. It didn't worry me when I was going to Peel Park in the mid-60s with a few dozen other lunatics, while anyone with any semblance of sanity had long gone. It didn't bother me when I was going on the Crown in the 70's, while anyone who wanted to watch "proper" football went elsewhere.

What does bother me is the thought that members of my own team might have been taking the mickey out of me and the rest of us...now that hurts...that really hurts.
got to agree with you wynonie h,it just makes you wonder about other results ???????????????????????????????????????????????
afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09   #123
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device. All great publicity for any prospective buyer or invester.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49   #124
Senior Member+

Quote:
Spot on, mate. totally poleaxed by this...didn't sleep much last night...previous matches and incidents keep playing over in my head...missed open goals and penalties...matches that we were winning only to lose in the last few minutes...maybe all completely innocent, but who knows now?

Also keep thinking about all the waiting in the rain at bus stops...standing on freezing station platforms...rushing up to Accy on dark, depressing Tuesday nights...Saturday afternoons spent in dismal places like Mansfield and Burslem...and for what?...to have this thrown in my face?

The mickey-taking has already started from other fans, but that doesn't bother me...after 49 years supporting the Stanley I've grown used to it. It didn't worry me when I was going to Peel Park in the mid-60s with a few dozen other lunatics, while anyone with any semblance of sanity had long gone. It didn't bother me when I was going on the Crown in the 70's, while has alreanyone who wanted to watch "proper" football went elsewhere.

What does bother me is the thought that members of my own team might have been taking the mickey out of me and the rest of us...now that hurts...that really hurts.
I feel exactly the same Wyn !...and the one nagging thought which keeps on returning to the forefront of my mind is, WHAT would make anyone having any semblance of alliegiance and loyalty towards (1) Their employers, and (2) In this particular case 1000 loyal Supporters of the team which they represent, behave in a manner which has already brought shame and ridicule to it's door and alienated so many of it's supporters ?.

It has also occurred to me that how anyone who, in this age of hi-tec Criminal Detection, could imagine that such a scam, if indeed this is what has gone on, would be so naive and stupid enough as to think that such unlawful behavior would go undetected and unpunished !.

One thing is certain though, this being, that the more one thinks of the possible ramifications of the whole sordid affair, then the more the feeling of betrayal and humiliation becomes more keenly felt.

Knowing you, and your dedication to Accrington Stanley
and it's cause. I understand how you must feel, and can only align myself to all that you have said.

Respect !.

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 13:00   #125
Super Moderator

What can I say, Yonmon? The more I think about it, the more angry and upset I get. And the club are contributing to this by not suspending the two players in question until the matter is settled one way or t'other. A couple of days ago, I was happily checking train times to Cleethorpes...now I'm not so sure.

I'll bet it's even wiped the smile off Alfred E's face!
Old 08-04-2009, 13:32   #126
Full Member+

One thought has kept coming into my mind today - - - When Stanley won the Conference and got back into the league, they dedicated that achieverment to Cav's brother, who, as we all know, had recently died in tragic circumstances. My feeling is that, in betraying the club, he would perpetrate a far more personal betrayal, which I hope he can live with.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:01   #127

Sub Judice. please be careful.
slerpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:35   #128
Full Member+

Thanks Slerpy. That's why I said "He WOULD" - if it proved to be correct.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:37   #129
God Member

It'll all come out in't wash.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:40   #130
Full Member+

Quote:
What can I say, Yonmon? The more I think about it, the more angry and upset I get. And the club are contributing to this by not suspending the two players in question until the matter is settled one way or t'other. A couple of days ago, I was happily checking train times to Cleethorpes...now I'm not so sure.

I'll bet it's even wiped the smile off Alfred E's face!

You must come to Cleethorpes.Willy's pub is waiting with your pints on the bar for you
Old 08-04-2009, 14:40   #131
Senior Member+

I have kept quiet up until now, but the posts that state both players must be suspended until the outcome of the hearing and any subsequent appeals are spot on! The club (Eric) has said in the LET that if found guilty, they will both be sacked on the spot. As Alfred E, Yonmon et al have also stated, how let down we all feel and how this is dragging the clubs name through the mire. What makes it worse is that Cav has been charged with making bets against the club THIS season. Play youth teamers if necessary, but Cav and Rocky must NOT be allowed near the ground or the team until the outcome of the inquiry. I do not care about results now until the end of the season, even if that gets us relegated back to the BS Conference (although I doubt it). It hurts that players of this once proud club could even think about conniving to fix matches to line their own pockets (if proven).

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:58   #132
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more angry and upset I get. And the club are contributing to this by not suspending the two players in question until the matter is settled one way or t'other.
This is exactly my mood today, Whalley get it sorted man.

MCR I bet you won't be wearing that Williams shirt again.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 15:08   #133
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post

MCR I bet you won't be wearing that Williams shirt again.
It's pinned on my bedroom wall because it's signed by all the squad aint it but am contemplateing whether or not to take it down

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 15:16   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
Thanks Slerpy. That's why I said "He WOULD" - if it proved to be correct.
I did not make that comment relating to you Oldgobbin I meant it in a general way. Unfotunate comments on here will only make the entire situation worse. Schtoum would be the wisest course of action.
slerpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 15:24   #135
God Member

I agree, ban them. The absolute last thing this club needs right now is to flaunt the players in front of the fans. What would happen if Cav was running down the wing with the ball and the entire stand was shouting obscenities at him?

It wouldn't be fair on him, us, or the rest of the team.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..