Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1595Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2019, 12:04   #271
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bits & Bobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The lack of cover is definitely a factor as you see big following coming back if they visit when it is sunny like Luton in August, but more of a drop off for winter visits.

Of course some fans come for a one off visit, but the facilities will impact on numbers, and this season the Northern Rail strike too.

Stanley's business model relies on maximizing income from away fans, yet they are treated badly in many ways. E.g. Sunderland fans got to pay full price to come back after being soaked through the first time.
So what would you suggest? 70 mins is best part of a match. i dont regard full price as badly treated.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:12   #272
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So what would you suggest? 70 mins is best part of a match. i dont regard full price as badly treated.
Half price like against Morecambe with a 2nd half postponement.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:28   #273
God Member

i imagine there will be some rules and guidelines that the club has to follow when charging for abandoned games. if stanley did owt wrong the EFL would be on our backs within seconds.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:31   #274
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Half price like against Morecambe with a 2nd half postponement.
That might still happen, in the article on our fishy site about the rearranged date it says ticketing information will be announced in due course & Sunderland fans were advised to keep their stubs so it could be that anyone who came to the original fixture could get some kind of discount
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 13:21   #275

Oh mighty Spartacus2nd, your gladius has cut me to the core.
This is the Forum my friend, not the Colosseum.
You may be a long time Stanley fan, but you've only been on here for 5 minutes.
There are 2 types of contributors on this forum. Those who post original thought & those who simply 'react' to the former.
Some do it with logic & wit & some, like you, do it with sarcasm.
By all means disagree with anything I post. But if your going to respond with comments aimed at ridicule, eg. 'Perhaps you could sell off a portion of your estate to help Mr Holt with the financials? then prepare for a verbal kick up the gluteus maximus.
Don't know how you calculate an average ticket price of 'just over £10'. Last time I looked it cost £20 (adult) & £15 (concession) for away fans
If I was an away fan forking out £20 for a ticket, I wouldn't expect armchairs, carpet and a conservatory. But I would at least expect shelter from the elements.
We're no longer in the Unibond or Conference, we're actually in League 1, where the majority of stadia are all seater & fully covered.
As for your gem - 'A metal frame with tin roof, as you put it, is neither safe nor ideal'. I was speaking metaphorically. Did you imagine I meant build it from meccano?
The Clayton end is nothing more than a tin roof on a metal frame. Don't see that as unsafe.
Finally, your question as to my Johnny-come-lately status. Well, let me think? Ah yes, now I remember. Attended my first game at Peel Park in 1958.
Sorry, can't recall the score or even who we played. But then, I was only 8 at the time
Touche indeed!
cashman and Revived Red like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 15:38   #276
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
In answer to your rather cynical comments following my suggestion of roofing the Coppice terrace, I would respond;
1. The upgrade of player/officials facilities are already included in the plans posted by Mr Holt & for which he asked for comments.
2. Upgrade facilities for the extra 1000 home fans in a bid to keep them? - Don't make me laugh!
These Johnny-come-lately's have never had it so good, as they quaff their subsidised pints in a nice warm bar before taking their places under a dry covered stand or terrace.
We already have a new fanzone, new stand & new toilets for home fans. What further upgrade do you suggest - perhaps paying them to attend?
3. For upgrade of of bar - see point 1. Again, already included in Mr Holt's grand plan.
4. Spending money we don't have to keep away fans dry on that one day a year it really monsoons? - Seriously, how long have you lived in Accy?
We've already had 3 or 4 capacity gates this season with opponents bringing 2/2500 paying fans to the Wham.
They pay for tickets, beer & food to swell our coffers & you think it's OK to let them get soaked to the skin or half frozen to death on an exposed terrace.
I'd like to know how many of the extra 1000 home fans you refer to would bother turning up every week if they had to endure being drenched for 90 minutes.
I would have thought a simple metal frame with a tin roof would be peanuts compared to some of the proposals shown on the new clubhouse development.
5. Your final comment doesn't even merit an answer.
Spot on post and could not agree more

cashman likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 15:44   #277
God Member

Smile Re: Bits & Bobs

Quote:

Finally, your question as to my Johnny-come-lately status. Well, let me think? Ah yes, now I remember. Attended my first game at Peel Park in 1958.
Sorry, can't recall the score or even who we played. But then, I was only 8 at the time

Touche indeed!
Glory Hunter

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 22:05   #278

Quote:
You may be a long time Stanley fan, but you've only been on here for 5 minutes.
There are 2 types of contributors on this forum ...
You forgot the third type, the one where one must serve one's apprenticeship before daring to insult a member of the Illuminati

Ive followed this forum for well over a decade. Im well aware of the decorum or etiquette. Im also well aware of who posts quality, or pish, or constructive criticism, or who just posts because they like to see their pseudonym up in lights. Sadly, the vast majority of quality posters have dwindled away in response to the piffle paffle often posted.

But dont worry about me petal, I'll get my post count up to a level where my opinion is valid
AccyMad likes this.
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 22:09   #279

The average value of a ticket that I gave, just over a tenner, is what AH has ventured himself and is the price they use to base their projections on.
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:46   #280
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Who’s up for walking to Accrington? NewsNow: Loading story... sponsored walk has been arranged to raise funds for the planned Dale in the Community Trust
Why don't they use the money they make out of ripping off away supporters in the bar.
cashman and Revived Red like this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:10   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd View Post
You forgot the third type, the one where one must serve one's apprenticeship before daring to insult a member of the Illuminati
Ive followed this forum for well over a decade. Im well aware of the decorum or etiquette. Im also well aware of who posts quality, or pish, or constructive criticism, or who just posts because they like to see their pseudonym up in lights. Sadly, the vast majority of quality posters have dwindled away in response to the piffle paffle often posted.
But dont worry about me petal, I'll get my post count up to a level where my opinion is valid
There is no apprenticeship my friend.
Whether you're posting for the 1st time, or the 1000th, your opinion is always valid.
In no way do I regard myself as a member of the Illuminati.
I'm still a relative newcomer on here compared to some of the Doyen's like Cashy, Wynonie, Exile & AccyMad.
I often disagree with other's opinions, but I always try to respond with respect & avoid any insult, whether intended or not.
I look forward to reading your future contributions on this forum.
Nay! I want to actually 'like' them. Just so I can say;
'I am Spartacus!'
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 15:02   #282
God Member

I’m Spartacus!
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:42   #283
God Member

I am Spartacus
P.s. Had to look up what a doyen is Lord S - wasn't sure if it was an insult or compliment at first but thank you for your kind words
Old 05-02-2019, 18:46   #284
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I am Spartacus
P.s. Had to look up what a doyen is Lord S - wasn't sure if it was an insult or compliment at first but thank you for your kind words
Yeh only weren't sure cos my name was before yours.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 05-02-2019, 19:02   #285
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh only weren't sure cos my name was before yours.
Absolutely! That's what threw me
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..