Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2010, 17:17   #286
Senior Member+

Re: Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcowboy View Post
Is this a new playmate for Alfred and Stanley I wonder?
Cowboy !..it's already done !!.
With no thanks to Stanley Convert for identifying 'Cow-shed Sid for me, there are now FOUR of us in my close-nit (not a spelling error!) Accy Forum world !..

Alfred.E. , who knows everything about everything'!.

Stanley Hope ( He of Lancashire Telegraph fame!)..who has always hoped and is forever hoping that all of his hopes for Accrington Stanley are well-founded !.

Cow-shed Sid ( FRHS !)...who knows an awful lot about the Whinney Hill side of The Crown Ground !! and is well-known for his gravel-splitting !......and...

ME... who they allow to type out their well-meant,yet if at times inane thoughts and ideas on all things Stanley !.

and it's getting crowded in here !!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2010, 17:45   #287
God Member

Question Re: Pitch

Yonmon, a question...........If, three is a crowd what is four???????????????

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 18:01   #288
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Yonmon, a question...........If, three is a crowd what is four???????????????

Hmmmm..Well for a start...

Four is the only number that is spelled wiith an amount of letters that is exactly equal to its value!

Then again Four is just enough for a game of Twister !.

Also,(being unashamedly Homophonic !), it is the word one hears just before a golf ball hits one on the head !!

Over to you Joe !
Old 18-08-2010, 19:49   #289
God Member

Smile Re: Pitch

Four is also the number of corners on Ilyas's Pitch!!!!

Old 18-08-2010, 21:30   #290
Senior Member+

Quote:
Four is also the number of corners on Ilyas's Pitch!!!!
Perspicacity personified Val !...but on a more serious note, would you, or perhaps Mr T know if 'Ilyas's Pitch'is still unfit for purpose as many well-informed, and equally concerned Stanley supporters keep telling me ?....many reporting persistent waterlogging as the most pressing problem !.
I guess that my pursuit of a definitive answer to this problem is gettting a tad tiresome to some, but as a quality playing surface at The Crown would appear to be one of John Coleman's prime objectives in his quest for 'a passing game, I make no apologies for asking that every effort, and an injection of more finance if necessary, be seen as imperative to ensure this !.

Old 19-08-2010, 08:46   #291

Yonmon I must say your light hearted humour brigthens my day, I am off to the crown now and will give cow shed sid your kindest regards and see if his gravel slitting has healed any overnight lol.
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 11:31   #292
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley convert View Post
Yonmon I must say your light hearted humour brigthens my day, I am off to the crown now and will give cow shed sid your kindest regards and see if his gravel slitting has healed any overnight lol.
But you will let us know what your visit uncovers SC...
We receive so many conflicting reports that we would really appreciate a current and comprehensive review of the situation...
(ps...Stanley keeps hoping that the club might release a resume of the development of 'Ilyas's Pitch'...But ???).
Old 19-08-2010, 18:27   #293

Yonmon not a lot to report on the pitch today, IMHO it aint improved any but then again what do I know, there was plenty going on around the ground ie Buzzer doing his daily 3mile walk behind the mower (or was he being pulled along) scaffold going up for the tv towers and about 7 or 8 of the pitch contractors scrattin around up near sid,s cow-shed, may have more news tomorrow as I will be there all day.
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 18:30   #294
God Member

Plenty of rain forecast over the next few days!!!!

Old 19-08-2010, 20:00   #295
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yonmon not a lot to report on the pitch today, IMHO it aint improved any but then again what do I know, there was plenty going on around the ground ie Buzzer doing his daily 3mile walk behind the mower (or was he being pulled along) scaffold going up for the tv towers and about 7 or 8 of the pitch contractors scrattin around up near sid,s cow-shed, may have more news tomorrow as I will be there all day.
We don't like the sound of that procedure SC !!.... Now look, Sid is no Doctor but he says if you spotted them 'scrattin' then it seems to him like the Contractors may have contracted something they didn't really contract for, like Scabies or something worse !.... So he suggests that you keep them at arms length tomorrow...you never know..

And also I'm fairly certain that 'Scrattin Around' was an old Dixieland number which I used to rattle off in my wild youth... when I needed the money !!....Happy Days !.

But thanks for the resume...keep 'em coming !!...

A
Old 19-08-2010, 20:50   #296
God Member

Yonmon.................did you mean something like this?

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk

Last edited by ukcowboy; 19-08-2010 at 20:52.
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 09:50   #297
Senior Member+

Quote:
Being overwhelmed by curiosity at your mention of this hitherto unheard of procedure being applied to 'Ilyas's Pitch ' SC...
I was stimulated to carry out some research into the subject...and came up with this fascinating photograph of a team of 'Trainee Scratters' involved in a work-experience scheme on a Soccer Field somewhere Oriental, just prior to being faced with the much more problematic work at 'The Crown ' !....in which so far they appear to have achieved little success !!..

See you there !!.
Old 22-08-2010, 08:42   #298
God Member

Seemed to play better yesterday, I thought!! Still some issues on Cow Shed side.

Old 22-08-2010, 09:21   #299
Senior Member+

Quote:
Seemed to play better yesterday, I thought!! Still some issues on Cow Shed side.
Agree Val !....but nothing that a bit of 'scrattin' and some muck can't fix !...

Don't you think though that the Newcastle United players, accustomed to their Billiard-Table surface at St.James' Park will find the green pastures at the Crown, not only a bit of a cultural shock, but also a bit wearing on their legs ??..

So 'Ilyas's Pitch' might just turn out to be our 13 th Man !!..
Old 22-08-2010, 09:27   #300
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Don't you think though that the Newcastle United players, accustomed to their Billiard-Table surface at St.James' Park will find the green pastures at the Crown, not only a bit of a cultural shock, but also a bit wearing on their legs ??..

I wouldn't be too confident about that. If Newcastle pay the same respects to lower league teams in the Carling Cup as other big teams do, then you will find they are more accustomed to pitches like this than St James park. It's where the reserves play thier games;

WEST ALLOTMENT CELTIC FC

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..