Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 17:54   #61

Re: Aldersot match thread

Anybody hear the halftime draw number today couldn't hear at all?
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2010, 18:11   #62
God Member

Undefeated this season...good stuff...not all the leagues' teams can claim that.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 18:45   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy McQueen View Post
It was visibly posted on the reception office door at the end of the match - sorry I can't remember it but was told that it had been claimed.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 19:09   #64
Junior Member+

Solid performance unlucky not to win. v impressed with Barnett, did the little things well. Jimmy Ryan could well be the difference between mid table and play offs this year!
emileheskeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 19:15   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy McQueen View Post
HTD number was 112095 guess which lucky chap had 112096 yep you guessed it ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 00:23   #66
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresonlyoneaccy View Post
I think we can safely say that Boulding is pants. He stayed onside once today. ..
That comment is in entirity a load of rubbish. I could have used stronger words, but the rules of this forum don't permit.

Who the hell do you expect Stanley to sign with the resources ??? Rooney ??? Ronaldo ??? Drogba ??? Torres????

Get a grip sunbeam; and back the lads instead of slating them. One game and you're not happy ?????

The lad did quite well. He held the ball up quite well and didn't get many chances to impress.

To me, he didn't get the chance to impress, mainly down to the fact we didn't have too much width ( probably down to the formation) as the one focal point, he didn't get an awful lot of service and what he did, he did quite well. I don't think the big man would have gambled on giving Boulding a contract IF he didn't think the lad was up to the job.

Of the new signings, I think I've already stated that Boulding (in time and given the proper service) will be a good signing, Hessey seemed to read the game reasonably well. Bateson had a solid debut, Barnett shows promise. Puterill, was to me, candidate for M.O.M. and all told, I'm quite confident that we won't fulfill the bookies prediction of " RELIGATION CONTENDERS"

Coley's priority has to be signing a couple of forwards. I'd admit, we looked a little toothless up front at times, midfield was solid ( though with five there you'd expect it!!!! ) and defence was, in the whole, reasonably solid.

Mid table (which I'd be happy with) is quite achievable. A couple of forwards and a bit of cover at centre half may push us on to better things !!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 08-08-2010 at 00:31. Reason: typos
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:07   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
That comment is in entirity a load of rubbish. I could have used stronger words, but the rules of this forum don't permit.

Who the hell do you expect Stanley to sign with the resources ??? Rooney ??? Ronaldo ??? Drogba ??? Torres????
I don't expect any big-cash signings like Notts County or even money similair to some Blue-Square teams. The fact still remains that he was easily pushed over, unable to time a run and generally looked lost. I hope I'm proved otherwise after a while.

I agree with the rest of your comments though. Puterill should have got man of the match.
theresonlyoneaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:54   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

fer my money all the new lads did ok, just give em time,add a striker n seasons looking promising.IMHO.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11   #69
Senior Member+

Well I thought it was a good start to the season.

Not sure what their manager was going on about with regards the pitch, yes it cut up abit but i thought it looked great.

As for the new signings, the right back (Bateson was it), looked the stand out player for me. In fact I think all the back 4 had a good game, with Edwards yet again being very good. Bavs yet again gave me nightmares, and his kicking was ALL over the place, but ill give him credit, he didnt have alot to do, but made a crucial save when he needed to.

Jimmy Ryan for me MOM again, how we have hung onto him is beyond me, but as somebody has already said he IS the difference between struggling and a solid mid table finish.

Only thing that concerns me is up front, we are desperately short, especially with Linfield having a knock. Fingers crossed a couple of loans will do the trick. Maybe David Hoilett from Rovers will be available or Alex Macdonald from Burnley could be an option???

All in all, very pleased with yesterday, roll on the next 1!
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:38   #70
Full Member+

I thought it was an ok display. There were five debutants so we're kind of not knowing what we're goin to get. Sometimes it looked a little disjointed but there were also some quite encouraging displays of passing that were pleasing to watch.
Defence, today looked adequate. Hessey has experience but lacks pace, fortunately he has Edwards alongside. Bateman looked a bit uncertain at times but looks good enough to 'grow' into right back if he gets picked.
I would have probably picked Ryan as MOM but Winnard got it and why not ?. He deserves some credit. Always gives 100%
Midfield looks interesting this year. I know we had five in there yesterday so it makes it look strong but the new guys Putterill and Barnett looked really exciting. Barnett has so much confidence that he can just hold the ball and pick his best option before passing the ball off.
Putterill also made some great cross field passes and he should get better as he gets fitter.
This, more than anything, shows how Stanley have progressed over the last couple of years (I'm talking strictly onfield stuff here, people, not admin!). When you think that a couple of years ago we had players like Harris and Mannix who just could not put their foot on the ball!
Up top, I don't think Boulding can be criticised after one game. I thought he did ok as an out and out lone striker (McConville seemed to have licence to roam) and showed one or two decent touches and layoffs. In the second half, he had the composure to hold the ball up in pen area (the one time he wasn't flagged offside!) and lay off to Putterill who fluffed his shot so I think he's got the mindset for it . He may be one of those players that just needs a decent run in a team to show his all round game like Symes last year.
McConville really needs to step up to the plate this season. I hope he does but on today's evidence I have to say he looks the same old same old. Wonder if Turner will get the same opps now that Miles has departed? Hmmm.
Overall , though, I'm quite chuffed after yesterday's game. I think we still need a bigger threat upfront if we can get a loan or something but Shots got to playoffs last season and have strengthened so after losing all our strikers, I think we did ok
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34   #71

I thought it was a positive display today, good movement and we had at least 3 really good efforts, if one had gone in we would have the 3 points. The new lads did well, Bateson attacked well, Hessey looked composed & the new midfield looked creative. That matched with solid games by Jimmy, Phil gives me hope for the season. I think Coley's made some good signings, he's amazing with the limited funds he has! So, when the lads have more time to gel & Craig L gets back, I'm optimistic!
Preston Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 16:37   #72
Full Member+

Lots of positives to take out of yesterday's game despite the pitch.

The back four looked very solid with Proccy (who did a good job on Morgan with their aerial balls) and Barnett in front of them. The fact that Aldershot had only four shots (just one on target) in the whole match - Sporting Life - Football Live - shows how solid the team was defensively.

The three attacking midfielders looked good and had the pitch not been no soft and lifeless, we could have seen a lot more fast, moving Stanley play. As it was, it was difficult to get going on it and the match ground to a stalemate at times.

Two issues for me. Even though Dunbavin impressed in the one time he was called into action when Phil inexplicably stopped when ahead of Morgan in the penalty area, his kicking was more reminiscent of a fly-half kicking for touch.

The other was the amount of balls played to Boulding in the air, particularly in the first half. He won lots of flick-ons, but there was no-one to flick on to! Admittedly the pitch lent itself to the long ball - and that's all the Aldershot offered - but Boulding needed better service. He did look a little light-weight against two big central defenders and he could certainly work on that department, but he did take his 'offside' goal well and linked up well with the midfielders in the second half.

On yesterday's performance and that of the pre-season friendlies, I can't see anything to suggest that we will be struggling near the foot of the league table this year.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 20:51   #73

we are going down
Old 08-08-2010, 21:07   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ASFC View Post
we are going down
Are ya Jase in disguise?
Old 08-08-2010, 21:21   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ASFC View Post
we are going down
?????

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..