Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2010, 08:47   #166

Re: FANs not criminals!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Although I did not see the incidents being described in this thread, I have seen stewards (and police) behave unacceptably at other grounds. Indeed I feel so strongly about what I see as increasing intimidation of football supporters that I intend to write to the Minister of Sport to suggest that the whole business is reviewed as a matter of urgency. It seems to me that we are rapidly approaching a situation where football grounds are becoming battle grounds - and it is not battles between rival sets of fans but between fans and stewards/police.
We at the FSF have similar concerns, hence my posting on this thread (that came to my attention via a Google alert) and work very hard to ensure fair treatment for all. I have dealt with many supporters who have been arrested unfairly or who've had complaints against stewards or police and have had a number of successes, some of which are documented on our website. We've also ran campaigns "Watching Football Is Not A Crime", have a bust card on our website advising you of your rights and what to do on arrest and will shortly be working with Liberty, the civil rights organisation, in a campaign against Football Banning Orders on application.

I am more than happy to assist with your complaints here, but if you'd rather deal yourselves, I suggest that one person co-ordinates this, collects statements and then send them to the club to ask for a meeting to discuss.

If you do not get a satisfactory reply from the club, then escalate it to the Football League for them to intervene and if you're still not happy after their efforts you can take it to the Indepedent Football Ombudsman for him to adjudicate. This is the official complaints procedure and yet very few, if any, clubs advertise that on their websites.

It won't be easy, in my experience the default position taken by clubs is "we're right and you're wrong" so you'll have to be determined to see it through.

If the police were heavy handed or behaved in any way inappropriately, complain directly to Lancashire Police - again, you may not initially get a satisfactory reply, but be determined!

The police at senior level are always willing to work with supporters; it may be an idea for the Ultra's group to seek a meeting with them. The Ultras are often misunderstood and treated like criminals; perhaps communication with them will break down the barriers. Flares are a big no no, but I find it very disappointing that these groups who want to do little more than create an atmosphere and bring a bit of colour to grounds are treated like hooligans and tightly controlled. If fans want to do a display with till rolls, ask permission first and agree to pick them up after the game?

Anyway, I digress... whether these arrested fans come to us or not, it is vital they seek legal advice (if they haven't already). Too many fans think it isn't worth it, or they may as well plead guilty "to get it over with". Big Mistake! Decent legal representation can and does make a vital difference. We've dealt with many fans who've been told they'll get a banning order - and yet they've left court without one, because they've been represented.

With regard to writing to the Minister of Sport, I'd be very interested to see what reply you get and I'd advise copying in the FA, Premier and Football Leagues.
Accrington Web
Old 28-08-2010, 08:50   #167
God Member

were these police from greater manchester police theres some kind of trait here
Old 28-08-2010, 09:54   #168
Senior Member+

Can I just say, that all those who have said they are rethinking visiting the Crown Ground, do that and the stewards/Police have won. The Stewards on Wednesday night were mostly from Blackburn (the club only have approximately 25) and the Police were a mixture of Lancs Constabulary and Tyne and Wear Metro Police to monitor the Geordie fans (who they know). I will lay any odds that the majority on here posting have never been a steward at a football or other sports arena. Believe me when I say it is a thankless task and I know one or two on here who have been stewards and given it up for whatever reason. I do not condone the actions on Wednesday night of Police or stewards and I sincerely hope that common sense will prevail and all charges and threats of banning orders will be dropped in due course. In the meantime, I hope someone else will take up the mantle that Jase cannot in the forthcoming fixtures.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Old 28-08-2010, 10:00   #169

I was shocked to read all this, surely Stewards are paid by the club to protect the supporters from harm and maintain safety in and around the ground and as such should be acting as ambassadors for the club not man handling people and acting like thugs. My friend who attended the game commented the Police were filming the whole time and said to him we know who they are and we will get them later. Seems like it was all premeditated really and they were just waiting at the end for some incident no matter how small to make arrests.
Good luck to both of you a slap on the wrists is quite sufficient really but who knows nowadays in our courts.
Old 28-08-2010, 10:00   #170
God Member

Exclamation Re: FANs not criminals!!!!

It is not a case of winning or losing, why should it have happened???? Redraine summed it up perfectly P.C. gone mad!!!! This sort of thing is taking the enjoyment out of it, that is all I am saying OO

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
Old 28-08-2010, 10:34   #171
Member.

I’ve been reading through like others and some posts are a bit dramatic, I would have thought that Jase and co will have got proper legal advice and will hopefully be cleared of any serious wrong doing.

There have been a number of witnesses making statements on here; have you been down to the Police Station and made factual statement of what you witnessed/experienced personally. Have you contact Jase or his legal advisors and given supporting statement of events.

Over recent months people have actively sought self management has fans i.e. ASSF, Trusts, OSC and the Ultras themselves; have any of you gone and made an official complaint regarding the activities of the Stewards on the day or the Policing of the game.

It would be interesting for us to hear of any positive moves made to remedy this situation or of any outcomes that favour the forwarding of the club in a positive light.

I would like to think that everybody who could possibly attend home games do so and show the whole system negative or positive that Accrington Stanley supporters are above intimidation and above all are law abiding; and possibly the best Club Football Supporters in the World.

P.S.

What about fighting funds....are these guy's on there own or are we collecting..(better see what happens on the 8th. maybe)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-08-2010, 11:11   #172
God Member

Having left before the final whistle on Wednesday

There is not much I can add to this thread that has not perhaps been written already

The advice from Amanda at the FSF is sound advice

All I can add hoping that it dosn't happen but if the worst does happen then the Clayton End & the Crown Ground as a whole will be at a loss without one of it's most Charismatic & Passionate fans.

I also received a superb email from Terry who is an NUFC Season Ticket Holder which I think underlines that point from a visiting fan which I will post in Newcastle Thread.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Old 28-08-2010, 16:15   #173
ROI
Junior Member+

In regards to the stewarding /policing what i can`t understand about all of this is the fact that there was regular matchday stewards on the clayton end and control box whom have seen the Ultras stay behind after a match season after season with no trouble whatsoever, why did non of these have the sense to sort the situation out before it excalated either on the terrace or from the control room .What i could see some police both inside and outside the ground handled this match almost like it was a big derby/grudge match and don`t understand how to police an Accrington Stanley family friendly match as they are not geared up for this, again information from the club would i presume have been given ,when walking past all the Newcastle coaches overheard one geordie and a couple of police whom could`nt believe how overpoliced this fixture was.Just to finish Jase and Danny are top lads and have my wholehearted support
Old 28-08-2010, 18:03   #174
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROI View Post
In regards to the stewarding /policing what i can`t understand about all of this is the fact that there was regular matchday stewards on the clayton end and control box whom have seen the Ultras stay behind after a match season after season with no trouble whatsoever, why did non of these have the sense to sort the situation out before it excalated either on the terrace or from the control room .What i could see some police both inside and outside the ground handled this match almost like it was a big derby/grudge match and don`t understand how to police an Accrington Stanley family friendly match as they are not geared up for this, again information from the club would i presume have been given ,when walking past all the Newcastle coaches overheard one geordie and a couple of police whom could`nt believe how overpoliced this fixture was.Just to finish Jase and Danny are top lads and have my wholehearted support
Very good point!!!!!!!!!

The stewards have seen it after every game , we stay behind for like 10 or so minutes and have stayed for longer in other matches also!!!!

I think the stewards dont like that so i think they thought this was their opportunity to pounce on some of the key ultras!!

Old 28-08-2010, 18:09   #175
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ya could possibly have summat there F.C., would be a good opportunity fer someone else to get the blame if yer right.
Old 28-08-2010, 18:09   #176
God Member

What about when we could not walk along the walkway at the end of half time fc:??? What was that all about??? The whole night was crazy, just hope that we do not lose one of our best assets on the back of this!!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
Old 28-08-2010, 18:33   #177
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
I think the stewards dont like that so i think they thought this was their opportunity to pounce on some of the key ultras!!
I think you have something there

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 28-08-2010, 18:40   #178
Senior Member+

Losing Jase would be getting rid of our '12th' man, he is a Stanley legend.
Old 28-08-2010, 18:58   #179

Jase and Danny are not alone in this fight there is alot going on at min but there will be a statement made if it is allow(stanleymad ill pm you with the full statement before i post so you can ok it)

The statement will be made in the next 24hrs
Old 28-08-2010, 19:20   #180
Senior Member+

EVERY HOME GAME THIS HAPPENS:

Game Ends - 10 Minute Singing - Put Flags Away And Clear Up

Why the stewards or Chief Steward(s)/ Health And Safety man couldn't tell the police before or after the game had finished puzzles me!!!

There was no need for any of it, no dangerous or ruley behaviour happened!

Also a note for the police is their Horses, one police woman couldn't control hers and it was all over the place and even managed to kick two people!!!

Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..