Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 20:43   #1
God Member

A Fresh Start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post
Its one thing after another.... Player registration fiascos, club mascot fiascos, tax bill fiascos, ground grading fiascos, ownership fiascos, more player registration fiascos, players not being paid, managers not being paid, small companies not being paid......

There is nothing to feel proud of about being Stanley, bar Coley & Bell
I find the last sentence of this post haunting, mainly for the brutal truth that resonates so loudly from it. After taking a step back from the immediate defence of our club when we were presented with the hateful post from the Stevenage lot, I found myself in total (albeit begrudging) agreement with the majority of their (obviously not well put) points.

We are an embarrassment. Whereas before we could laugh off such accusations and ridicule the jealousy of established clubs, now we can only nod our heads in shameful agreement.

More and more I feel like our rise to the Football League was a swindle; our story of the phoenix forever tainted. It is simplistic but not unfair of other clubs to state that we only got to the Football League (and stayed in it) by not paying our tax or other creditors; that we were effectively bankrolled by money that did not belong to us.

This ownership saga that has gripped our club for almost two years has seen brothers and sisters shy away from the Stanley family. We have a person who was once worshipped as the saviour of our football club seemingly trying to kill it. We have people who have given their all for the club in their own respective ways either pushed to the fringes or totally banished. We find ourselves on a never-ending trail of lies and disappointment. The two gallant knights who we thought could save us all in one-fell-swoop are faced with a deep and dark forest of thorns (also known as Accrington Stanley's past accounts). The fans' organisation, though well meaning, seem powerless, even with a seat on the board.

Is it time to bite the bullet and start over?

I'm talking about the club folding and starting anew; a brand new company started with what is left of the pure soul of Accrington Stanley, probably applying for membership of North West Counties.

Obviously, this would mean incredible sacrifice. It would mean losing our God-given management duo. It would mean losing the best players to ever take the field in the name of our club. It would mean undoing the hard work of all those who fought from 1968 to 2006 to get us 'back where we belong'. It would proabably mean losing some 'fans' who don't see a non-league team as worthy of legitimate support.

However, the gains to me at this moment in time seem immeasurable. We'd drive out the rats that bring such a plague to our club, we could regain the pride of the town, the respect of local businesses, we could be a real community club... But above all, we could regain the love and pride for our club. No longer would we be ashamed.

Please know that I am a Stanley fan through-and-through and would not suggest such dramatic action flippantly. The Football League is indeed the holy land, but some things are more important; pride, honour and truth. These feelings have been building up for a long time and perhaps today's events of the Southend faithful being allowed to travel all that way without warning has been the proverbial 'straw'.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2011, 20:53   #2
God Member

Re: A Fresh Start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Please know that I am a Stanley fan through-and-through and would not suggest such dramatic action flippantly.

As most know I'm not a Stanley fan through and through, BUT they are very much my second team, enough I think to butt in

I really don't think you need to go all the way of starting again. I'm no financial genius but I reckon if the clubs biggest creditor called in his loans and then negotiated with the administrators for re-purchase it will be good enough not to lose football league status and get rid of the clubs 2 biggest problems. Yes it may mean a 10 point deduction this season or starting with a 10 point deduction next season but I think thats a small price to pay to go forward. Not sure how much of what I said is feasible or even legal but something has to be done, the problems aren't going to budge.
Old 12-02-2011, 21:02   #3
God Member

Shakey, that is the worst post I have ever read on this forum.

However, that is not to say that is poorly written, or unsubstantiated crap. It is the worst post I have ever read simply because there is nagging feeling that you might not be too far off the mark with it.

and with the biggest but I can muster I'd like to add that taking such a grave and terminal step absolutely must be the final step that it is possible to take.

On the back of this revelation from a dyed in the wool Red fan I would urge every single one of you that has been sickened to the core by the ongoings at our club to join in with a march of protest from Accrington town centre on the saturday of the Torquay game (details to follow)

This has to come to an end this season. Bolloxks to the Back the Boys campaign - we aren't going up and we aren't going down (unless we get thrown out). It's now time for the Jog On Do'n campaign. If we allow this farce to continue past this summer then I fear that even if Ilyas was able to gain control of the club that too much damage will have been done and that even his millions and vision will not be able to rescue the sinking ship.

For all that care, for all that used to care, for all the blood, sweat and tears that have passed before, for Freeman Jack Barrett, for Jimmy Hinksman and the class of '70, for Coley and Bell - we stop them here.

Rob Heys has started the ball rolling, intentionally or otherwise, and now is the time for the OSC, ASSF, SU and every other man, woman and child borne of the Stanley spirit to step up to the mark and help rid our beloved club of the blight of Messrs Whalley and O'Neil.
Old 12-02-2011, 21:06   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
On the back of this revelation from a dyed in the wool Red fan I would urge every single one of you that has been sickened to the core by the ongoings at our club to join in with a march of protest from Accrington town centre on the saturday of the Torquay game (details to follow)

No offence to any of you, but a Stanley fan has actually grown some
Old 12-02-2011, 21:13   #5

So far 3 excellent posts. All different solutions but all united in the same goal.
huncoatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 21:14   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
No offence to any of you, but a Stanley fan has actually grown some
Seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod

This has to come to an end this season. Bolloxks to the Back the Boys campaign - we aren't going up and we aren't going down (unless we get thrown out). It's now time for the Jog On Do'n campaign.
Let's do it.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 21:20   #7

good post Shaker - from a distance, am I right in supposing that the local media feel unable to run a campaign requiring Messrs Whalley & O'Neil to spotlight just what makes them incapable of resolving the ownership transaction ? They seem to regard themselves as unaccountable (if you excuse the pun ) and avoid exposing themselves to daylight.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 21:22   #8
God Member

I've been saying it for ages but either was ignored or dismissed so did my own by not attending matches since mid December. Power to the fans is always the way to apply pressure, worked for Liverpool

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 21:34   #9
God Member

we all pretty much agree that something has to happen and we have done for a long time. The problem with trying to organise something before now was that not enough of the support would have joined in with it. Yes we all agreed that things were not good enough, but not enough people had actually been annoyed or upset by the goings on. Now I think that pretty much every genre of Stanley fan has been suitably upset at the constant ridicule and derision we are subjected to.

I don't mind other clubs hating us because we've mugged them on the pitch, or had some handbags off the pitch etc etc, but when we are Hated because the loons who run the place can't get a game on when its been a bit muggy then its taking the mick.

Orf with their heads
Old 12-02-2011, 21:37   #10
Resting in Peace

Not before time, Macca. I mooted the idea on here a long, long time ago but the feeling at the time seemed to be that because Ilyas was urging patience with the new "regime", such actions would not have been helpful. Well time is well and truly up and now we really need the Ultras on board as they surely cannot still have any fond, nostalgic feelings towards the EW era? What really worries me now is the lack of any communication from Ilyas to the fans, as sure as eggs is eggs we are going nowhere without his backing.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 21:44   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon View Post
from a distance, am I right in supposing that the local media feel unable to run a campaign requiring Messrs Whalley & O'Neil to spotlight just what makes them incapable of resolving the ownership transaction?
I have commented before that the situation is ideal for a good investigative journalist to delve into the goings-on at ASFC. I can only conclude that there is no such journalist to be found in the area, or that the two charlatans have some kind of weird hold over the media with the latter being capable only of repeating meaningless claptrap from press releases.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 21:44   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
What really worries me now is the lack of any communication from Ilyas to the fans, as sure as eggs is eggs we are going nowhere without his backing.
I just think with the current stalemate, for some reason he can't disclose, his hands are tied. I was speaking to somebody very close to him last week and got the impression his vision is still the same.
Old 12-02-2011, 21:50   #13
I am Band

A most eloquent & erudite post which echoes my feelings & fears for our town team.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 21:51   #14
God Member

I've emailed Ilyas to make him aware of what is about to happen and also to request clarification that he is still committed to the cause. Were gonna look very silly if we run O'Neil and Whalley out of town and Ilyas has disappeared

.... and I don't think you'll need to worry about SU
Old 12-02-2011, 21:54   #15
God Member

Thread of the year for me,

Roll on the Torquay game.

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..