Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1063Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2021, 11:53   #1666
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Sean Mc

if yeh thought anyone played ok mate, were yeh on drink or drugs?
Old 08-12-2021, 19:03   #1667

I honestly think our performance last season raised our expectations. That group of players could score goals, change the way they played during the game. It was a balanced squad of players. Last season we played well in games and were the better team but then managed to lose the games.........that's never happened in any game I can remember this season so far. We've obviously "lost" key players from last years squad, we got lucky with our low budget and were probably never likely to repeat last year's success this year. One good season every 5 years is my expectation and experience of watching Stanley. If we could make one good season every 3 years I'd be happy!.....Maybe just staying up this season and looking to improve next year is all we can readonly expect. Yes we all want more......BUT!
AccyMad, cashman, Chimer and 1 others like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 19:10   #1668
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if hes right, and expect he is there will be more from bolton.
Just hope they behave themselves this time
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 19:17   #1669
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Just hope they behave themselves this time
Doubt that very much.
Old 08-12-2021, 20:12   #1670
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
I honestly think our performance last season raised our expectations. That group of players could score goals, change the way they played during the game. It was a balanced squad of players. Last season we played well in games and were the better team but then managed to lose the games.........that's never happened in any game I can remember this season so far. We've obviously "lost" key players from last years squad, we got lucky with our low budget and were probably never likely to repeat last year's success this year. One good season every 5 years is my expectation and experience of watching Stanley. If we could make one good season every 3 years I'd be happy!.....Maybe just staying up this season and looking to improve next year is all we can readonly expect. Yes we all want more......BUT!
The growth off the pitch is more exciting new facilities under23,s and an academy plus new training ground we will never compete budget wise but we can develop our own and others players and make progress and a bit of profit hopefully.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 18:14   #1671
Senior Member+

What is your time line for the under 23 and Academy projects to reap benefits ?
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 18:54   #1672
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
What is your time line for the under 23 and Academy projects to reap benefits ?
Hopefully sooner rather than later even clubs like Liverpool produce their own players occasionally better than not having one and over paying an old pro at the back end of his career, and maybe create a few quid that could and should go on playing budget.
Old 09-12-2021, 19:35   #1673
Senior Member+

Sooner rather than later ....... 2 years, 5 years ?
From a standing start I've never seen an academy reap anything but expenditure for 5 seasons.
I think Liverpool's set up has been running a little bit longer than that.
Not a criticism before the bites start because you have to start somewhere.
So the question is really what do we do until we reap the benefits ?
I can always recall the investment that Barnsley put into the academy with the money created from one season in the Premier 1997 - 1998. Millions.
That created players such as John Stones, Clicker, Danny Rose, Reuben Noble Lazerus, Paul Digby.
The investment worked with the fee for Stones alone collected in 2013.
It's the right thing to do but don't expect a dividend return on the investment in the short term.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 22:07   #1674
God Member

I may be misremembering, but I recall hearing some time ago from a reliable source that Stanley’s Academy is a net financial contributor to the club.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:10   #1675
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

What the hells it matter how long? its better to have one than not.
pifco, andyd and Watchdog like this.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:44   #1676
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
I may be misremembering, but I recall hearing some time ago from a reliable source that Stanley’s Academy is a net financial contributor to the club.
thought it was at least self financing anyway. the only problem that 28 has stated is the time factor of lads coming through and where the club maybe once they do.some fans have too higher expectations of acadamy players coming through anyway. the majority will ply their trade in the NW Counties league with some even lower than that.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 19:46   #1677
God Member

Smile Super Sean McConville

Back on thread, if Seamus is not to be risked tomorrow, Macca needs to stand up and be counted and help Stanley to a much needed 3 points.!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 22:23   #1678
God Member

Smile Super Sean McConville

Good 45 minutes from Captain Fantastic today

Hope that he is not injured badly...............

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:48   #1679
God Member

Re: Super Sean McConville

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Good 45 minutes from Captain Fantastic today

Hope that he is not injured badly...............

Dead leg.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:16   #1680
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

sean played superbly yesterday. lets hope he keeps it up,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..