Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2011, 16:29   #46
God Member

Re: Belated, half-arsed Swindon thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
Thought craney was one of the few to come outa it wi any credit,meself.
Have you been taking Wynonie's pills?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2011, 17:14   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Obviously posted by a Plymouth fan. Plymouth were that bad that even Jay Bell and Peter Murphy would have looked class to a Plymouth fan.
Bell, possibly, but Murphy???????????????????? Behave JEFF......

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 21:00   #48
Senior Member+

Kurtis is quite young, (18 i think), and is obviously still developing phyisically. I wasn't at Plymouth but by all accounts he played well. I saw the long range shot that hit the post on TV which clearly indicates that he can strike a ball. I have seen him play a number of time this season and although he does get "muscled" off the ball by big centre halves he will develop in due course and certainly improve this area of his game. I think Coley and Jimmy will feed him lots of meat and get him doing loads of Gym work and he will be a different player in a year or so. At the moment he is being asked to play up front and he is getting quite poor service...we still don't have any wing players who can get round the full backs and pull the ball back from the goal line for him to pounce onto, run onto or turn goalward. Paul Mullin was such a great scorer of these kind of goals because he was so well supplied in his best years by the great wingers we had back then. Kurtis needs to be encouraged abd nurtured not criticesd and written off at such a young age. He also has the quality of being a real grafter and he runs and runs and harrasses the opposition far more then some in our current squad. Give the lad a chance...he just needs to score that first goal, build confidence, put on a stone or so in weight and then I think we will see him go on to be a really good player.
Question - When did we last see a Stanley player take on an opposing full back on the outside and pull the ball back for a collegue to run onto and belt it goalwards. I have mentioned it several times over the last couple of years but BRING BACK SOME WINGERS PLEASE!!!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 21:02   #49
Senior Member+

Crikey! Just read my last post and it is full of TipogropHY errors!
Time for Bed !!!
Old 18-10-2011, 21:04   #50
Senior Member+

Redraine are you still there?
Q Are we going to Shrewsbury... Coach or Car?
Old 19-10-2011, 09:39   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Kurtis is quite young, (18 i think), and is obviously still developing phyisically. I wasn't at Plymouth but by all accounts he played well. I saw the long range shot that hit the post on TV which clearly indicates that he can strike a ball. I have seen him play a number of time this season and although he does get "muscled" off the ball by big centre halves he will develop in due course and certainly improve this area of his game. I think Coley and Jimmy will feed him lots of meat and get him doing loads of Gym work and he will be a different player in a year or so. At the moment he is being asked to play up front and he is getting quite poor service...we still don't have any wing players who can get round the full backs and pull the ball back from the goal line for him to pounce onto, run onto or turn goalward. Paul Mullin was such a great scorer of these kind of goals because he was so well supplied in his best years by the great wingers we had back then. Kurtis needs to be encouraged abd nurtured not criticesd and written off at such a young age. He also has the quality of being a real grafter and he runs and runs and harrasses the opposition far more then some in our current squad. Give the lad a chance...he just needs to score that first goal, build confidence, put on a stone or so in weight and then I think we will see him go on to be a really good player.
Question - When did we last see a Stanley player take on an opposing full back on the outside and pull the ball back for a collegue to run onto and belt it goalwards. I have mentioned it several times over the last couple of years but BRING BACK SOME WINGERS PLEASE!!!
Well said! Could Nat Taylor be the one?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 12:19   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Well said! Could Nat Taylor be the one?
Maybe he could, but last time we had a winger who could tackle, beat a man on the outside, and get in a good cross he was sidelined. Coley is always going on about the glory day when we won promotion against Farsley in front of a good, excited crowd. We had good wingers that day, and in fact one of them scored the winner. He has looked very subdued in all interviews since well before the play-offs last season, so I think he needs to treat himself with some good old-fashioned wing play. Never mind the system, let talented players express themselves.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 16:14   #53
Senior Member+

That's modern day football ,all about structured coaching ,shape,and most important three points . The manager decides the system ,probably based on players available,and his track record suggests he's not bad at it.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 16:53   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
That's modern day football ,all about structured coaching ,shape,and most important three points . The manager decides the system ,probably based on players available,and his track record suggests he's not bad at it.
I take your point. Let's hope he hasn't hit the buffers.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 21:22   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
I would have thought the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition would also come into consideration when a manager is deciding on a system for a forthcoming game. As you have often said, some opposing teams have sussed out our system all too easily. We seem to find it difficult to change shape/system and I sometimes feel that we are imposing a system on the players. For example, Proccy is clearly unhappy in his more forward role, and we don't see Charlie Barnett at his best when he is on the right wing. Structured coaching may be ok, but it should not inhibit natural talent.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 21:39   #56
Senior Member+

i would personally start Charlie every week, after losing Jimmy and apart from Craney when he can do his job, he is the only match winner that we have
Old 19-10-2011, 21:48   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

see nowt wrong wi Barnett, slong as hes played in his right position.
Old 20-10-2011, 00:35   #58
Senior Member+

Rev red,I didn't say I totally agree with it,indeed,Charlie Hughes revamp of our coaching ethos leaves a lot to be desired.His methods always hid behind stats rather than entertainment ,ie Spain won the world cup with great passing footy,but stats say 8 out of 10 goals scored involved 4 or less passes ,which coaches then take on board,not my bus of tea tho
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 16:05   #59
God Member

Who ever said craney had a good game has jinxed it, broke his leg today in training today apparently!

"score in a brothel, we couldn't score in a brothel" is going to be the chant of the season!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..