Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2012, 16:07   #46
God Member

Re: Accrington Stanley Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
If it happens again Craney is going up there
Just do it, we can't afford to lose Hughes.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2012, 16:54   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
If it happens again Craney is going up there
Or Malcolm the M .........................
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 17:45   #48
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

And heres the link Accrington Stanley defender McIntyre set to leave Crown Ground (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 15-05-2012, 20:20   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
It is not a surprise to see Coley coming in for players like Kev, Coley saw something to bring him to Stanley and Coley has to get it right quickly!!!!!!
Apparently, it's news when Coley signs a non-Accrington player:
Rochdale - Rochdale Sign Non Accrington Player!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 20:40   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Apparently, it's news when Coley signs a non-Accrington player:
Rochdale - Rochdale Sign Non Accrington Player!
Still a scouser though
Old 15-05-2012, 22:38   #51
Senior Member+

From the Rochdale Fans' site "Vital Dale"

"John Coleman has obviously been reading Vital Rochdale, and decided to follow our advice, namely that players who guided Stanley to 14th might not be of the calibre needed to push Rochdale into the playoff spots.

So, he`s signed a striker who was relegated. Not quite what we had in mind, but he`s ours now, so let`s welcome George Donnelly.

The 23 year old scored 7 goals in 32 games for the Silkmen last year, and that prolific form has seen him Dale snap him up for a fee believed to be around £15,000
"

Actually, George started with Skem, went to Plymouth (played twice), then to Fleetwood, then to Macc, then to the Conference ........... Last recorded fee for him, by the way, was £50k, not £15k, so someone's got a bargain! And still only 23!

Mind you .........if they don't want our players ("not good enough" ), then why don't they leave them alone?
Old 16-05-2012, 00:17   #52
Full Member+

To start, I'll apologize for the somewhat long winded nature of this post...

Firstly....I just hope the "undisclosed fees" we apparently got in compensation for Coley & Bell reflected.....

a) The true value of losing an established and much sought after managerial duo who were on long term contracts

b) The fact that in all probability... we knew that Coley would come sniffing around our better players and that in all probability there was a very,very good chance we could lose some of them to 'Dale

I suppose there was only a limited length of time we could contractually put clauses in the Coley deal to prevent him from coming back and trying to prize key players up the road to 'Dale.

Ho, Hum....I suppose in all probability we'll never know exactly what the clauses in the contract where and how much we actually received.

I still think, as a club, we've a lot to learn when it comes to awarding contracts.

For me..we should, WHERE POSSIBLE and practical ....be tying "valued" players down to longer term contracts. Risky maybe, if said "valued" player picks up a long term injury...but assuming said "valued" player then becomes "wanted by another club" and he stays injury free....at least we've then got some "reasonable leverage" when it comes to "negotiating" a "reasonable" transfer fee

And secondly, when looking to offer renewed deals to "valued" players who are due out of contract, we should be starting to put offers on the table earlier...i.e. in January / February. At least then we've had fair chance to put an offer on the table which the player has plenty of time to consider..For me giving the club a better chance of retaining the player !!! Admittedly, some players probably hold off signing until they've seen if interest and a subsequent better offer (s) from elsewhere materializes.

Some clubs, albeit with more financial clout than Stanley....tie down "valued" players way,way before their contracts get to within a matter of weeks of expiring.

AND...before somebody bites my head off saying " Cooky was only appointed in February"...or "we operate on probably the lowest playing budget in League 2 "......points taken......though it does beg the questions when did we start putting contracts to the players???

I may be doing Cooky & Leam a "dis-service"....maybe they did quickly get an idea of who they wanted to work with / keep for next season. Maybe the club just isn't in a position to offer longer term deals to "key" or "valued" players???But the annual summer "exodus" of "key" players from Stanley makes any manager's job infinitely harder .

If we're to be successful and challenge for promotion to the next level or even have the ambition to build any sort of side that is reasonably successful / challenges at the right end of the table.......then the annual summer flight of key players needs to be addressed

And stopped / ended

We've lost way too many players for nothing in the last three close seasons. Coley was a genius in pulling "rabbits out of the hat" when it came to finding replacements, as no doubt Rochdale will see to their benefit now he's at Spotland.

We all knew Cooky ( & Leam ) have a very, very difficult act to follow.

The last two seasons have seen very slow starts, which have seen us fall behind the pace when it comes to climbing the table early doors. The fact that the manager has had to practically throw an entire squad together at the last minute twice can't help !!! I fear the same come August...and with current departures & lack of arrivals..and given our end to last season......I fear that we could well be embroiled in a scrap for survival next season......

I hope I am wrong.

I hope ( and trust ) Cooky and Leam have plenty of "irons in the fire" so to speak and we'll all be pleasantly surprised by incoming personnel. Though only a couple of weeks have passed since the end of the season....My worry at the moment ( personal opinion ) is that..... again.... plenty of players are heading out of the Crown exit doors and as yet...nobody coming in .....whilst other clubs (ala Rochdale ) are acting quickly & snapping up players.

The list of who we've actually got signed up for next season looks very "threadbare" with very little experience.

Rant Over....I hope I'm worrying unduly!!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 16-05-2012 at 00:23.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 09:01   #53
Senior Member+

Some very valid points carpon.

Unfortunately do to our's and alot of other League Two club's financial state we are simply not in a position to hand out 2 year contracts all over the place. Granted Joyce, Murphy and Winnard (up till Jan) had not had any injury and deserved their deals.

Look at the opposite end of the stick, Craney. Signed on an 18 month deal as well as relatively massive wages from Fleetwood and has been injured for a large period of that time. A massive mistake from Coley.

As the current squad goes, yes we are down on numbers, but if I remember right, last season we had Craney signed and that was it???

Im sure Cooky & Leam are looking 7 days a week for potential targets but as ever we have to be realistic. I am just hoping the likes of Hughes, Hatfield & Barnett for example can see the bigger picture and sign up. As all three would be in my first choice XI for next season. More game time = more chance to put yourself in the shop window for a bigger club. As for Hughes maybe he is looking at doing his coaching badges, im sure he could walk straight into a job as first team coach at the Crown

I was quite impressed with the young Burnley lads we had on trail last season, Dean Overson (now at Bradford) in particular caught my eye at Right Back.

Mixed with a few experienced pro's im sure we will be fine
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 09:46   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Actually, George started with Skem ..... last recorded fee for him, by the way, was £50k, not £15k, so someone's got a bargain! And still only 23!
McCon-vile came from the same place for much less and his value improved in the same sort of fashion

As for the consistent losing of players, we have to face the facts that as a club, and in comparison to all other clubs in our league, we are poo.

We're always going to lose players and we're always going to have to rebuild. We simply can't pay the wages that the majority of League 2 clubs will pay. I read The Football Forum frequently and its galling to see teams with budgets of over a million pound ... rumour was that Swindons budget was around the 2.5 million mark.

As much as I'd love our players to be offered significantly improved contracts a lot earlier, we'd be signing our own death warrant in doing so. The fantastic squad that got us to the play offs SHOULD have been automatically offered 25% improvements to every one of them regardless of how long they had left. HAd players like McCon-vile and Cisak and Edwards not left for a few extra pieces of silver, then Gornell, Ryan and Jacobson might not have had to leave to further their ambitions.

The one thing I'd like to see that is attainable is better communication between club and player in the essence that someone like Ryan was always going to leave. If we had his guarantee that was the case then we could have offered a far better contract than we would if we thought he was sstaying. Tribunals take into consideration what the selling club were offering as wages and use that to gauge what we think the player is worth. Offering Ryan 10% extra than the few hundred pound he was probably on is no indication of him being worth the £3/4m that Jimmy Bell thought he was worth . If we'd have been offering a contract of a couple of thousand then we'd have got significantly more.

Thats perhaps why other clubs seem to get far better transfer fee's for their players. Could you imagine of we had signed Jamie Vardy last summer from Halifax, we'd no way of held onto him for a million pounds, cos we'd have sold him for a couple of hundred thousand months earlier!
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 15:54   #55

One thing to note is we never have a problem with people coming to pick up a pay check and see out their days.

Everyone at the club is hungry - if they weren't they'd be in the conference earning more.

I think it's easy to forget the value of being able to let go players easily - if they aint up to the mark they are out quick enough and without the mistake being too costly.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 18:40   #56
mab
God Member

A bit on Amond NewsNow: Loading story...
Old 16-05-2012, 18:55   #57
mab
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Griff View Post
Just seen on twitter that Toto has been released by Everton.
A bit more on this Toffeeweb
Quote:
Reserve duo released
Two of Everton's youngsters, goalkeeper Adam Davies and defender Toto Nsiala were released by the Club this week.

Nsiala signed a one-year contract with the Blues a year ago and spent the second half of this season on loan at Accrington Stanley.
Davies meanwhile has been a regular in Alan Stubbs' reserve side this season. Both players are on the lookout for new clubs.
Goal keeper could be worth a trial at least and sign that other chap up while we're at it
Old 18-05-2012, 19:14   #58
Senior Member+

Update 2

Goalkeepers
  1. 25 Dunbavin signed 1yr contract
Defenders
  1. 3 Winnard 1yr left on existing contract
  2. 12 Murphy 2yr deal signed
  3. 16 Richardson still a player as well as assistant manager
  4. 18 Willis
  5. xx Nsiala - 1 year deal signed
Midfielders

1. 8 Barnett
  2. 11 Joyce 1yr left on existing contract
  3. 24 Hopper signed 1yr contract
  4. 27 Hughes
  5. 30 Hatfield
Forwards

1. 7 Lindfield signed 1yr contract
  2. 37 Carver signed 1yr contract
Additional Players
  1. 40 Stockdale signed 1yr contract
9 signed up (not counting Leam) incl Toto; Hughes, Barnett, Willis and Hatfield to agree new contracts (if all to be offered);

Amond gone/going to Portugal but has said he'd like to stay. Danny Coid invited back for pre-season training. I've assumed that Kevin Mc is going, and it's now confirmed that Hess has gone
Old 18-05-2012, 19:26   #59
God Member

Willis has been released......................

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 19:32   #60

hatfield has not signed yet
ddevil2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..