Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2012, 01:06   #76
Full Member+

Re: Accrington Stanley Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
He's also a terrible football player. No thanks.
Based on????????

If you're gonna make statements like that....at least back it up with a reason!!!!

Or reasons!!!

Personal opinion....I've only seen him a couple of times....but I've never seen him have a bad game, he has a massive physical presence, has a massively long throw...has a towering physique at set pieces, pops up with the odd goal here and there..... and if memory serves, when Rotherham did us 3-2 at the Crown the other year, he had our back line panicking and indeed eventually capitulating !!!

Fair enough, the Port Vale game at home he didn't have the best of times,his head probably wasn't right!!! But even then I didn't think he did too much wrong ( bearing in mind Gannon wasn't flavour of the month with the Valiants then, and maybe...just maybe he didn't get on with Exodus)

Maybe IF settled with a club, manager & a set of fans behind him..... things maybe different???

Or have you got direct feedback from how he's fared at Grimsby this last season???? If so, I'll stand corrected !!!

It was only a suggestion !!! He's probably looking for somewhere to earn a crust, Coley was an admirer ( IF memory serves ) and given we won't be splashing any money on signing the John Terry's or the Nemanca Vidic's of this world... as he's (Geoghan) probably a free agent...No harm in mentioning the name????

I've seen him on quite a few occasions (including other than Stanley games) & personally rate him as a very reasonable centre half at this level !!! That's my opinion !!!

If you can suggest a better centre half who Cooky can sign for zilch then I'm all ears !!!

Also...I fully expect Sunbeds to end up playing for Coley next season...It would be nice if Cooky could foil Coley & get Sunbeds to sign up for Stanley..but Rochdale being the "Real Madrid or Barcelona" of League Two an' all that !!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 20-05-2012 at 01:09.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2012, 06:24   #77
God Member

I have only seen Exodus the once which was against Port Vale so can't really judge based on one performance.

Another name to chuck into the pot and he impressed me when the Cobblers came to town and has just been released by the Clarets is Clark Carlisle bags of experience but I am not unduly worried with the central defender role as I think Toto now has that covered.

Left back is an issue, a midfield box to box player, wingers if we are playing how we have so far under Cooky and a striker possibly two.

I also take on board Carpon's earlier comments about experience it is important there is a balance through the side particularly older heads wise who no doubt also help bring the younger less experienced one's through quicker and can spot a pass, break things up and be in the right place at the right time things that only experience bring.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 07:53   #78
God Member

From what I've seen - which is more than what I'd normally see of a non-Stanley player due to the sheer amount of clubs he has played for/been offloaded to - Geohaghon offers only physicality, whch is ok for non-league but gets found out very quickly in the Football League.

Despite our tiny stature, we need to consider ourselves better than taking in the dregs of lower league football. That kind of behaviour got Macclesfield where they are now.

Young and hungry players (players released from Premier League clubs, players who have proven themselves in other leagues) are much more valuable to us than players described as 'experienced' when in fact they have just 'done the rounds'.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 09:25   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
From what I've seen - which is more than what I'd normally see of a non-Stanley player due to the sheer amount of clubs he has played for/been offloaded to - Geohaghon offers only physicality, whch is ok for non-league but gets found out very quickly in the Football League.

Despite our tiny stature, we need to consider ourselves better than taking in the dregs of lower league football. That kind of behaviour got Macclesfield where they are now.

Young and hungry players (players released from Premier League clubs, players who have proven themselves in other leagues) are much more valuable to us than players described as 'experienced' when in fact they have just 'done the rounds'.
So where do players like Hessey, McIntyre and Hughes fit into this?

As each of them are what I would term experienced and have each brought something to Stanley and built on what we had.

I would also say with the odd exception that they are harder to replace than some of the loanees from so called bigger Clubs we have had over the years, I understand your argument that young uns can learn and get more from League experience than wallowing in reserve games but it is also a fine balance between inexperience and experience.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS

Last edited by Pendle Red; 20-05-2012 at 09:31.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 09:44   #80
God Member

Google Page Ranking, you misunderstand my point. What I am saying is that it is easy to confuse 'experienced Football League player' with 'player who has been lurching from club to club scraping a contract'.

Good, experienced players like the ones you mention are valuable to clubs like us. Conversely, hopeless acts like the one mentioned previously are not.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 09:48   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Casper View Post
football19 - Dean Winnard, Rochdale or acci ?,
Acci !,although UFC is very tempting,more money in it lol
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 11:46   #82
Senior Member+

Bumble in the Daily Mail
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...g-shame.html):

"I can reveal we might make a bid for Arsenal's Dutch striker Robin van Persie and can offer him a good package - as many pies as he can eat and a weekly ticket to the local Odeon."

It's a shame he's let the side down with some sexist remarks about women cricketers and page 3.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 11:56   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
It's a shame he's let the side down with some sexist remarks about women cricketers and page 3.
Daily Mail readers are probably already complaining about his liberal attitudes
Old 21-05-2012, 13:39   #84
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Correct link: Bumble at the Test: No Gayle, Sarwan, Dwayne Bravo or Taylor... it's a crying shame | Mail Online
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 14:42   #85
God Member

I was beleiving that then but realised we don't have an Odeon
Old 28-05-2012, 22:25   #86
Senior Member+

Bump

What's the latest info/rumour/speculation on Charlie Barnett, Bryan Hughes, Will Hatfield?

Are we keeping Dean Winnard and Kev McIntyre or not?

No news is driving me mad ........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 22:43   #87
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Bump

What's the latest info/rumour/speculation on Charlie Barnett, Bryan Hughes, Will Hatfield?

Are we keeping Dean Winnard and Kev McIntyre or not?

No news is driving me mad ........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Snap!! seems all quiet on the signings at the mo
Old 28-05-2012, 22:49   #88
mab
God Member

NewsNow: Loading story...
Quote:
Dale chase Accy defender
Sun 27th May 2012 21:46 by Col

Accrington defender Dean Winnard is apparently top of John Coleman's wanted list, with local media reporting that discussions have already taken place between the two clubs.

Winnard has been at Accy for three years now, and up until an injury midway through this season was practically an ever present throughout that time. Since joining from Blackburn, he has played predominantly at left back and if the local press is to be believed, he is the man that Coleman sees as being his replacement for Joe Widdowson.
If he is to make his way to Spotland, then its likely that a fee will be involved, as the Wigan born defender still has twelve months left on his contract at the Crown Ground.
Come on Stanley stand your ground just say NO!!
Old 28-05-2012, 23:03   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Dino fer me, would be as well staying wi Stanley, until a decent club comes along, Coley is now History, the club should dig in n tell him to get knotted.
Old 28-05-2012, 23:12   #90
mab
God Member

I agree cashy mate we should turn down any dale offer

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..