Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2013, 17:47   #16

Re: The new squad

Thought Rob had been recalled by Fleetwood before the gaffer came to play ? Anyhow, well done JB for bringing Rob back. Only saw him once down south somewhere but saw enough to be disappointed when he was recalled to Codtown. I wonder if Dean will start at LB if Rob and Tom are to be the central pairing ?
Waiting not too patiently for news of wing/attack signings - pre-season can be tough on us Stanley nuts, can't it lads 'n lasses ?
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2013, 17:51   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon View Post
Thought Rob had been recalled by Fleetwood before the gaffer came to play ? Anyhow, well done JB for bringing Rob back. Only saw him once down south somewhere but saw enough to be disappointed when he was recalled to Codtown. I wonder if Dean will start at LB if Rob and Tom are to be the central pairing ?
Waiting not too patiently for news of wing/attack signings - pre-season can be tough on us Stanley nuts, can't it lads 'n lasses ?
Normally is, but this time don't seem half as tough in my view, seen some decent uns on trial, more actually than is usually the case, Reckon our new gaffer,sure has pull.
Old 16-07-2013, 17:52   #18
God Member

Deano, Tommo, Robbo, Nicko, Merfo, and Liddle Michael, I can honestly think of few better back lines in our league. Good signing Mr Beatts
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 18:56   #19

beattie made his debut against barnet as a sub, which rob atkinson played at centre half
in the same game
ddevil2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 06:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Deano, Tommo, Robbo, Nicko, Merfo, and Liddle Michael, I can honestly think of few better back lines in our league. Good signing Mr Beatts
You may as well call him Liddlo now
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 11:25   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
You may as well call him Liddlo now
My mum just calls him Billy - says it's much easier to remember than Michael - I remember her shouting it & Dan saying to her 'you'd have to be at least 80 to remember Billy Liddle' - she just smiled
maccawozzagod likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 11:56   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
My mum just calls him Billy - says it's much easier to remember than Michael - I remember her shouting it & Dan saying to her 'you'd have to be at least 80 to remember Billy Liddle' - she just smiled
Tell Dan "No you don't"; I not only remember him, I saw Billy Liddell play at Maine Road (very late 50s or very early 60s); I had in mind that it was a reserve game, and wiki does suggest, when I checked, that he did play the odd game for the reserves around that time ..........

And I'm not 80 ................Quite!
Div3North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 12:11   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Billy Liddell last played fer Liverpool on August 31st 1960. his 537 appearance which was a record at the time, Ian Callahan went on to beat it later.
Old 21-07-2013, 11:41   #24
Senior Member+

If reading between the lines is a reality and we sign Webber,Naismith,Windass and mingoia we have a very well knit and exciting squad with huge potential.James Beattie is certainly giving his all for Stanley and the loan market isn't even open yet what's James going to pull out of the hat then.Thank you James for the hope you have given this town. PS Marcus Carver player of the year????
cashman likes this.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 12:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
My husbands turned 80 and he was at Anfield in 1956 when liverpool beat Stanley 2-0 in fa cup. Liddle scored both goals. He reckons the crowd of nearly 50,000 must be the biggest Stanley ever played in front of.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 12:53   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyman View Post
If reading between the lines is a reality and we sign Webber,Naismith,Windass and mingoia we have a very well knit and exciting squad with huge potential.James Beattie is certainly giving his all for Stanley and the loan market isn't even open yet what's James going to pull out of the hat then.Thank you James for the hope you have given this town. PS Marcus Carver player of the year????
After reading yesterdays programme/squads,i still think we are short on numbers.
Starting eleven is reasonable,but injuries etc..will kill our squad.
In reality we have lost;
Jeffers
Beattie
Linganzi
Moly
bocco
Rachubka
Barnett
Linney
Bohan
Eckersley
Chippendale
And at present only Atkinson has come in.
Last seasons numbers only just avoided relegation,and although sometimes a shake-up does the club good,i feel were well down on squad strength.
Maybe i have my negative head on,but a lot of good players have flew the nest !!.
Redraine likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 13:03   #27
Senior Member+

James Beattie will come up with some great and surprising loan deals,so full strength squad !!! Watch this space!!!
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 15:18   #28

looking at that list football19 you would only be looking at the top six to be in a matchday squad, the other would only be making up the numbers during the season
smudgie and cashman like this.
ddevil2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 15:25   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Also McCarten has been added, plus whoever beats adds before the season kicks off, if some of those trialists are signed, i fail to see why yer concerned Football19? The present defence to me is as good as ive seen at Stanley n the defence is always the starting point (or should be imho)
Old 21-07-2013, 16:40   #30
God Member

the problem with last years squad was that we had a good few who never got a look at the team as we had a largish squad. If the quality is there with the fewer players then at least they'll all get a decent rotation. We can't legislate for injuries or suspensions so that's where the loan system will need to be utilised but otherwise we've got a decent squad. I'm not getting carried away with it although the defence does look tight this year.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..