Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 18:41   #16
God Member

Re: Pompey Match Thread...........

Only saw the game on telly but have to agree with Redraine's summary. Big pluses were Murphy's continuing improvement, Dunbavin's shot stopping, Naismith's touch of class, and never say die from the entire team. But I despair at Joyce's tendency to pass sideways or backwards. Is it because players aren't getting into forward spaces to receive the pass or does he just opt for the easy option too many times? It shouldn't be left up to the back four to make the telling pass, that's what midfielders are there to do. But a minor quibble about a good team performance. Well done to the team and staff.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2013, 19:14   #17
God Member

One of the Best Home games I have seen for a while

We played very well and have a new found never say die attitude which will serve us well this season

The duel between Aygemang &. Aldred was fascinating to watch, Murphy came into his own and perhaps now those who had doubts about him playing midfield will now start to see that he is more than capable of playing there and scoring.

A well matched contest overall and a really good advert for us to the watching public on Sky Sports

Happy Days

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 19:21   #18
Senior Member+

Thought the pitch looked really well. They've obviously done a lot of good work on it over the summer.
Outback Ozzy and ianray like this.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 19:33   #19

I wernt going to post today but having read what one or two people have said my thoughts are... Naismith a class player i'm amazed how James Beattie has got him .I was puzzled when he played out wide in the second half..... Luke Joyce i'm sorry but keeps asking for the ball when he gets it puts our defence under unnecessary pressure like when he passed to Hunt and Portsmouth scored. To be fair he did on several occations pass the ball foward but not enough and they great foward passes...... Michael Richardson SORRY OUT OF HIS CLASS a couple of nice touches but knocked off the ball far to easy and his work rate was almost NILL for a midfielder .The rest of the team MAGNIFICENT. JAMES BEATTIE still the manager thank god doing a fantastic job along with P/S AND P/L We deservered the point PORTSMOUTH will finish in the top six along with us.... ONLY MY OPINION for whats it worth ....
ianray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 19:37   #20
Senior Member+

Well for my two penneth. Thought it was a very workmanlike game for both teams although how the assistants missed an elbow on Aldred (I think) by Agyemang I do not know. The blood pouring out of his mouth should have at least provided a yellow card. And some of the decisions were astounding. For example if Pompey player pulled at a shirt it was let go by the ref, yet if Stanley player did the same - it was blown up as a foul. Double standards in my book. Overall though a fair result and the first point of the new season. Murphy was terrific, but Dunbavin was MOM in my book. Continuing on from Tuesday night. Feel we may do well this season. Here's hoping

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 20:31   #21
Full Member+

My thoughts......

Overall a reasonable performance which got us a point.

Defence looked reasonably solid, though it must concern Beattie about the number of chances the opposition are creating against us. I make that 43 in two games ( if you count Middlesbrough ) I'm a bit non-plussed about the number of times the opposition got in behind the full backs to get crosses in.

Midfield...positive....Murphy looks dangerous when he gets the chance to get forward. I've not been his biggest fan, however he had a stormer today. Naismith, when he's fully fit will be an absolute monster player in this league. I'd prefer him in the middle & not wide, as I think he looks solid in the tackle and will offer plenty more in the heart of midfield.

Negative..... I agree with others who say the lad Richardson was a little out of his depth. He was bundled off the ball too easily and offered precious little in the engine room. I only hope there's improvement in him.

We seemed to be struggling to get a grip with their midfielders at times and we were slow to get to the 50/50's and second ball.

Up front, I think Carver is beginning to reap the rewards of learning from Beattie. He ran his socks off today and with a little more luck he could have notched.

Webber looks useful and his close control is something else. I've no doubt he'll be good for 15-20 goals this season if he stays fit.

Overall, a useful point against a side who'll probably be up there in the mix up at the end of the season. If we continue to work hard and with a couple more additions, I think we're going to be looking upwards at the top seven rather than looking over our shoulders!!!
Redraine likes this.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 20:49   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Naismith, when he's fully fit will be an absolute monster player in this league. I'd prefer him in the middle & not wide,
Exactly what I said to Cashy after the final whistle!
carpon likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 20:53   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

My opinion of Richardson, To me its like Moly was when he first came, Didn't look up to that much, But i think like Moly i can see summat in the lad! Only time will tell. If he comes on like Moly did, thats fine wi me.
Chubbyman likes this.
Old 10-08-2013, 21:03   #24
Senior Member+

He was great in the first half at Newport cashy.

The lad has what it takes im convinced of that

But maybe not 90 minutes for 3 times a week
cashman likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 23:35   #25
God Member

My god that was soooooo good to watch Stanley 'live' and playing well. Naismith and Webber impressed me (and Bavs), but Carver struck me as being the proverbial 'Drovers dog' as he seemed to be putting himself about and in the faces of the Pompey defence.They certainly must've been 'aware' of his presence-like a swimmer in the ocean who has just spotted a sharks fin... Crikey, it really does look good for the future.
GREAT EFFORT STANLEY.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:30   #26
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
My opinion of Richardson, To me its like Moly was when he first came, Didn't look up to that much, But i think like Moly i can see summat in the lad! Only time will tell.
Like you Cashy, I saw brief glimpses of ability from the lad. He's obviously no mug otherwise he wouldn't be on Newcastle's books.

But he's got a bit to learn and I think he needs a few good steak meals to fill out a bit !!! Maybe when he's a bit harder to bundle off the ball????His run in the 2nd half was class ( when cleared away from the line), but at that vital moment, when pulling the trigger.....

My concern is he may be occupying a starting berth, as some contractual obligation of the loan deal, over one of our contracted youngsters who are probably busting a gut to get on the pitch and show us their worth????

T'was a good point, I've had a jar (or two!!) tonight with a Bury fan, who is also a close relative, as I will next Saturday. Incidentally, he'll drive me to the Gigg ( & hopefully back) !!! But I feel if we up the game from today another 10-20% we'll come back from Gigg with 3 points !!!

I'll not make bold statements like " we're going up" but I'll say that we'll be nowhere near the bottom 7 !!! Safe by early March !!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03   #27
God Member

rangers cancelled kai Naismith's contract on Friday he had signed a 2 year contract in feb. the reason we got rid was because we signed other players and he was surplus to requirements . I think he will go onto bigger things . its good to see james beattie using his rangers contacts
Old 11-08-2013, 07:16   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post

Naismith, when he's fully fit will be an absolute monster player in this league. I'd prefer him in the middle & not wide, as I think he looks solid in the tackle and will offer plenty more in the heart of midfield.

yesterday was the first I've seen on Naismith (and then only on t'telly) but he has the look of the stereotypical winger rather than engine room powerhouse, I'm not sure he'd get the room he needs through the middle. When our cleverer players have learnt each others games then there will be some cracking football played at The Crown.

That was for me the big difference between Pompey and Stanley yesterday, in Agyemang and Connolly they had two clever forwards who knew each other's games. There was some intricate play between them and it left two very impressive centre halves chasing shadows at times.

Webber showed some good touches of class but the players nearest to him were rarely on the same wavelength.

Carver is benefitting from game time and needs to carry on getting minutes - but we need to be wary of giving him too much if he doesn't continue to improve.

Richardson had plenty of good touches, but as others have said, three lots of 90 in a week may have been a step too far for him

Murphy is the personification of #passionovercomeslogic. 22 years old and has already played 128 games for us. My personal feeling is that he isn't the most gifted of individuals but he more than makes up for it with effort and application. Regardless of his goals I thought he was having a stormer and deserved his bottle of fizzy vinegar.

Bavs once again defied the knockers and Portsmouth would have been out of sight had it not been for him.

Atkinson and Aldred continue to impress. Up against the classic big man/little man combination and they were dragged and banged all over the place. They'll be disappointed with the amount of chances conceded but had it not been for them then only Dunbavin stood between Portsmouth and a record score.

All in all my thoughts are that people are getting carried away with the performance because it wasn't that great. There were a lot of individually impressive performances but the teamwork hasn't gelled yet. We have a great set of defenders but we are relying on them and luck far too much. Once we get the protection sorted for the full backs we'll start to kick on. Portsmouth will be a real handful for some teams this year and we caught them on a good day, so holding them at bay is a good point earned in my book.

Off the field I've got to say that the atmosphere came across really well. Both sets of fans contributed and if you were blind you certainly wouldn't have known there was only two and a half thousand there.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:44   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
yesterday was the first I've seen on Naismith (and then only on t'telly) but he has the look of the stereotypical winger rather than engine room powerhouse, I'm not sure he'd get the room he needs through the middle. When our cleverer players have learnt each others games then there will be some cracking football played at The Crown.

That was for me the big difference between Pompey and Stanley yesterday, in Agyemang and Connolly they had two clever forwards who knew each other's games. There was some intricate play between them and it left two very impressive centre halves chasing shadows at times.

Webber showed some good touches of class but the players nearest to him were rarely on the same wavelength.

Carver is benefitting from game time and needs to carry on getting minutes - but we need to be wary of giving him too much if he doesn't continue to improve.

Richardson had plenty of good touches, but as others have said, three lots of 90 in a week may have been a step too far for him

Murphy is the personification of #passionovercomeslogic. 22 years old and has already played 128 games for us. My personal feeling is that he isn't the most gifted of individuals but he more than makes up for it with effort and application. Regardless of his goals I thought he was having a stormer and deserved his bottle of fizzy vinegar.

Bavs once again defied the knockers and Portsmouth would have been out of sight had it not been for him.

Atkinson and Aldred continue to impress. Up against the classic big man/little man combination and they were dragged and banged all over the place. They'll be disappointed with the amount of chances conceded but had it not been for them then only Dunbavin stood between Portsmouth and a record score.

All in all my thoughts are that people are getting carried away with the performance because it wasn't that great. There were a lot of individually impressive performances but the teamwork hasn't gelled yet. We have a great set of defenders but we are relying on them and luck far too much. Once we get the protection sorted for the full backs we'll start to kick on. Portsmouth will be a real handful for some teams this year and we caught them on a good day, so holding them at bay is a good point earned in my book.

Off the field I've got to say that the atmosphere came across really well. Both sets of fans contributed and if you were blind you certainly wouldn't have known there was only two and a half thousand there.
Good summary Rob, Aint sure yer right wi naismith though, have seen him play in centre pre season n thought he was very impressive yon, so i reckon it gives beats a great choice.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:55   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
...although how the assistants missed an elbow on Aldred (I think) by Agyemang I do not know. The blood pouring out of his mouth should have at least provided a yellow card. .

I believe it was Atkinson who got the elbow in the gob. Watching it on telly it would have been difficult for the ref, assuming he saw it, to conclude that it was definitely dangerous play. And it was on the wrong side of the linesman. But then, knowing where the officials are and disguising the 'black arts' of a physical game is a speciality of some players.
What I thought amusing was that, having spent all day bouncing defenders off him and staying on his feet, Agyemang went down like a sack of spuds in the box when he exchanged a shoulder charge with Aldred.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..