Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013, 01:06   #1
Full Member+

It's my 10th anniversary!

I can't let it pass without mentioning it. It's ten years to the day since i watched my first Accrington Stanley match,against Huddersfield in the FA Cup. I remember Stanley winning the last qualifying round to then get drawn against such a big name,for a non league club.I hadn't watched a football match for years,this game i had to see! I watched the game on the Clayton End,then the video recording when i got home,what a winner from the super sub Andy Gouck!

Do any of you have memories of that Sunday afternoon?

Last edited by winstanley asfc; 09-11-2013 at 01:16.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19   #2
God Member

Re: It's my 10th anniversary!

I have a memory of having no memory at all of the second half due to accidentally drinking a bottle of vodka more than I should have!

To make matters worse I had 'taped' Match of the day to rewatch it but the video tape was too far on and I only got the first half!!
baldy likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23   #3

Couldn't get to the match or even watch it live because of being involved in a Remembrance Parade. Managed to avoid the score, watched the video and let out an enormous yell when Gouck scored.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:43   #4
Resting in Peace

I remember seeing myself celebrating the goal on the tele coverage wearing a cagoule that I still wear today. How many others on here can say that? Miserly me!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50   #5
Senior Member+

My first Stanley game was the 3rd Round tie against Colchester (my home town) during the same season, which Stanley should, in truth, have won .....

Been committed ever since.

Several times!
Div3North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Unlike youse aged & venerable ones? And me, being a mere Stanley neophyte, my first experience of the mighty Stanley was 31 Aug 2010, Johnston Paints trophy, first round against Tranmere at Prenton park.

We won! For a bit at least, then it turned out that Murph had been a naughty boy & Stanley had to step down.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:21   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Unlike youse aged & venerable ones? And me, being a mere Stanley neophyte, my first experience of the mighty Stanley was 31 Aug 2010, Johnston Paints trophy, first round against Tranmere at Prenton park.

We won! For a bit at least, then it turned out that Murph had been a naughty boy & Stanley had to step down.
Why does Murph get the blame for everything?? Wasn't him who'd been naughty - think you'll find it was Ray Putterill
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:23   #8
God Member

twasn't Murph, twas Razor!!!

Ray Putterill is currently playing for/at Formby in the NW division one, he played the first game of the season but not since. What a HUGE waste of a talent
Old 09-11-2013, 14:10   #9
Senior Member+

I remember the cheer only!

I attended gatty park rememberance parade in the morning and went straight up to the Accy Amatuers ground next door to the Crown to play for Stanley ladies. No idea who we played, no idea what our score was, all I remember was thinking 'I should be in the ground not in these nets!' We were closing in on half time when the goal went in, I'd never heard a cheer so loud in my life! It was so loud and sudden that everyone in our game stopped playing and started asking what had happened! Lol

I played the second half of our game, threw my tracksuit on and ran round to the club house to find it still packed! I joined in the celebrations and had to wait to see the goal later, projected on the wall of the club house as Rob put the dvd of the game on straight away after the game.

I wish id seen it live but at least I saw it first at the crown!

Last edited by sparkie; 09-11-2013 at 14:15.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 14:54   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Why does Murph get the blame for everything?? Wasn't him who'd been naughty - think you'll find it was Ray Putterill
Apologies! You are of course correct, my mistake. See, my youthful enthusiasm overrides my faculties of recollection, unlike you aged & venerables!
Old 09-11-2013, 16:50   #11
God Member

Aged! - Moi??? - Cheeky young whippersnapper
yonmon and DaveinGermany like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 19:31   #12

Thats me doing my Eric impression in the middle 10 years ago.

Nicked off Kipax site not that you can tell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stanley pic.jpg (128.3 KB, 42 views)
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03   #13
Senior Member+

I remember it like it was yesterday. Funnily enough I had just started uni in..... Huddersfield of all places

Meeting Mark Lawrenson before the game was a particular highlight.

Great day and I have no doubt is one of the major reasons behind our Football league status
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:08   #14
Senior Member+

Only on telly for me, but it was the first time I'd seen Stanley since the inaugural game at the Crown, after which I moved away. Couldn't believe it when the Gouck subbed on and produced the winner. That got Stanley back into my consciousness, although it didn't take fully until the promotion season.
Old 10-11-2013, 15:19   #15

It was one of the games that got me back into football after despairingly giving up on it given the obscene amounts generated in the game and the utter lack of empathy or consideration by bigger clubs to smaller. (My history having been Stockport and Oldham,who reached the promised land of the top league just at the point that the tide turned.)
Watched on TV soon after moving to Darwen. Spilt my guinness over the sofa when Gouck scored. Stanley at this point became the team I kept an eye on in terms of results/ personnel but I / we didnt succumb to the bug properly until 2010.

I remember a wonderful old history of the football league the beeb put on in 1988. In one episode football sage Rogan Taylor made a simple but profound comment that to me at least still holds true:
"There are 92 clubs in the Football League and the thing they all have in common is that they are all named after places"

Nowhere and at no time have I felt that sense of community more strongly than I do at the Crown; Taylor's remark crept into my head a decade ago during and after that game: it did again yesterday during the silence. It's never too far away when I consider the Reds.
The Red Darreners is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..