Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2014, 23:41   #1

"Help us see the light"

It's just six weeks before we make the short journey to play our neighbours Rochdale at Spotland.
The fixture has seen various sponsored walks between the two clubs and this year is no different.
On Saturday 15th March a group of fans and directors will set off from the Crown Ground to walk the 15 miles to Spotland. The aim is to raise money to go towards the planned upgrade of our floodlights for the start of the 2014/15 season. If you fancy joining us and raising some money by walking to Rochdale please register and pick up a sponsor form and further details from reception from Saturday or email [email protected]
"Help us see the light"
sparkie, Redraine and DAV007 like this.
stanleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2014, 00:10   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: "Help us see the light"

I'm proud to have done the last walk to Rochdale and what a day it was! I had more beers in the pub at Norden than for many years before or since and can't really remember the match, but think it might have been when Symes scored his wonder goal? I do remember having the dubious pleasure of confronting the Don in the pub, when he assured me the taxman's bill would be payed. True it was, but not by him or his mates on the board! I won't be walking this time but, as I have complained long and loud this season about our lousy floodlights I will be putting my money where my mouth is and will be donating 50 quid to the cause. Lets get behind the brave walkers!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 00:21   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
I'm proud to have done the last walk to Rochdale and what a day it was! I had more beers in the pub at Norden than for many years before or since and can't really remember the match, but think it might have been when Symes scored his wonder goal? I do remember having the dubious pleasure of confronting the Don in the pub, when he assured me the taxman's bill would be payed. True it was, but not by him or his mates on the board! I won't be walking this time but, as I have complained long and loud this season about our lousy floodlights I will be putting my money where my mouth is and will be donating 50 quid to the cause. Lets get behind the brave walkers!
A great gesture I'll match it.
Redraine, sherry and smobile like this.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 09:34   #4
Full Member+

So will I.

And what a volley that was!
sherry, smobile and Chubbyman like this.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 16:43   #5

Just picked up my sponsor form this afternoon. Sounds like a brilliant cause to raise money towards! Hopefully we can get a fair few fans walking and raising money.
Redraine and smobile like this.
Guilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 19:34   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilly View Post
Just picked up my sponsor form this afternoon. Sounds like a brilliant cause to raise money towards! Hopefully we can get a fair few fans walking and raising money.
Good stuff. First five there get an extra tenner each on their sponsorship forms from me. I like a bit of competition to keep you going in the mist and rain over Owd Betts! See Robert Houseman at the walkers meeting on 4th March?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 23:30   #7

Thanks for the donations and Redraine's generous offer. If you'd like to walk you can pick up sponsorship forms from reception. We are also having a meeting for walkers in the Founders Lounge on Tuesday 4th March at 7pm.
Old 24-02-2014, 22:17   #8

Thanks to all those who have pledged. Just a reminder for those interested in walking, there is a meeting on Tuesday 4th March at 7pm in the Founders Lounge.
You can get sponsor forms on the night or from Reception during office hours.
Jim Procter likes this.
Old 14-03-2014, 12:57   #9
God Member

Almost at the day of the races now, cannot help feel that this idea seemed better at the time...

As I remember after the last hike, we were treated to a spectacular goal from Symes, more of the same - if I make it - please Moly

P.S. Massive thanks to all who have pledged
Stanleymad likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 13:22   #10
God Member

This is a fab idea, though a little bemused as to why the OSC has not been supporting this ventre Too add to the history that stanley were one of the 1st to have floodlights, it would of been a perfect opportunity to further the legacy of the stanley exhibition - sponsoring or raising money for specific club projects is supposed to be up their alley isnt it?

Glad somebody has took the idea forward good luck to you all and hope your feet dont ache

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 13:32   #11
bdc

The OSC has supported the club with plenty of things over the years, whether that be time, money or resources.

The OSC sponsor players shirts each year, they organise the supporters end of season event, they sponsor a board at the ground, they actively promote Stanley on Twitter continuously (in some regards a lot more than the club does itself) they've bought shares in the club, paid for work done to the clubhouse, toilet block and changing rooms. They have also made sure that the Main Stand was renamed in honour of Jack, this was also paid for by the OSC. To say they don't do anything is quite ridiculous, the list above is things I can think of just of the top of my head.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 13:41   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
The OSC has supported the club with plenty of things over the years, whether that be time, money or resources.

The OSC sponsor players shirts each year, they organise the supporters end of season event, they sponsor a board at the ground, they actively promote Stanley on Twitter continuously (in some regards a lot more than the club does itself) they've bought shares in the club, paid for work done to the clubhouse, toilet block and changing rooms. They have also made sure that the Main Stand was renamed in honour of Jack, this was also paid for by the OSC. To say they don't do anything is quite ridiculous, the list above is things I can think of just of the top of my head.
Yes ive been part of the osc in the past im quite aware of what they have done and not knocking that at all, just surprised that the floodlight campaign was missed

To add further, osc did organise and promote the exhibition in 2008 (i was part of that committee) im bemused why that legacy we made isnt being continued, as i explained floodlights is a historical topic and have not noted any promotion of it till the fans that org the walk today mentioned it and as im aware the osc hasnt fronted it.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 14:25   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Yes ive been part of the osc in the past im quite aware of what they have done and not knocking that at all, just surprised that the floodlight campaign was missed

To add further, osc did organise and promote the exhibition in 2008 (i was part of that committee) im bemused why that legacy we made isnt being continued, as i explained floodlights is a historical topic and have not noted any promotion of it till the fans that org the walk today mentioned it and as im aware the osc hasnt fronted it.
The walk as you will see above in the Thread was organised by Directors and Well Done to those who took part.

This one for me is down to personal choice for the Supporters and if they choose personally to support it or not the Floodlights have to be replaced by the beginning of next Season by FL Criteria regardless.

You said yourself you knew nothing about it till today so has the Club itself supported it?

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 14:45   #14

I'm a fan, a director and a Supporters club member. The walk was the idea of a 16 year old girl, Sarah. I've just helped the idea become reality.

Please don't blame the OSC. Its a difficult job with only 35 members of which half live abroad.

The fourteen of us who walked thoroughly enjoyed the experience and this will hopefully be the catalyst for further fundraising events. We've had some great ideas between us.

Im sure the OSC, will help with future ventures. Sponsored walks are not everybody's cup of tea.
Old 15-03-2014, 14:54   #15
God Member

Re-interpreting the original question, it was about publicity, and the options for that. Nowt to do with who's done what or blame .

Quote:
Floodlights have to be replaced by the beginning of next Season by FL Criteria regardless.
Do we know what's required ? Is it just stronger bulbs or is there some structural stuff to do ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..