Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2014, 18:46   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Mansfield Match Thread.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
What a tough battle that was !!
The ref decided (both teams),that he would keep his whistle in his pocket and let go numerous challenges,elbows,fouls etc..and it turned into a real 1970s type game.To be fair,he was consistent,he missed everything
I don't think i have ever seen a bigger set of lads and the lively surface didn't help us one bit.(sprinklers not working !!!)
The lads who stood out for me were the battlers,ie Tom,Kayo,Dean and Hunty,it just wasn't a game for the ball players today,and would take a point all day long
Good summary in my view, thought Joyce, who aint me favourite had a good un also.
Old 19-04-2014, 00:57   #17
Full Member+

Another point another step closer to safety!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 08:23   #18

660 odd from Mansfield according to the match radio commentator sat right behind me.

Cracking point in the scheme of things.
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 09:56   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
What a tough battle that was !!
The ref decided (both teams),that he would keep his whistle in his pocket and let go numerous challenges,elbows,fouls etc..and it turned into a real 1970s type game.To be fair,he was consistent,he missed everything
I don't think i have ever seen a bigger set of lads and the lively surface didn't help us one bit.(sprinklers not working !!!)
The lads who stood out for me were the battlers,ie Tom,Kayo,Dean and Hunty,it just wasn't a game for the ball players today,and would take a point all day long
I agree with most of that - but we looked a different team when Piero came on. I felt he was far more of a threat than Moly. I sometimes think we look at Moly through those famous rose-tinted specs and we expect too much of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Memo to JB:

We like injury time goals, but we don't mind the boys scoring in normal time
Those of us who have a taxi booked for 4.55 in order to catch vital trains have mixed feelings about these late goals. Great for the team - but we do like to see the ball go into the net!
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 10:09   #20
Senior Member+

A difficult pitch on which to try and play a passing style of play due to dodgy sprinklers! Yes, The Stags were a big set of lads. They were all 'big uns' except their full backs who were "normal" size!
I thought that we were the better team in the first half but that we were quite poor in the second half. Once again we conceded centre midfield by letting them come at us. This was classically illustrated in their disallowed goal where Peter Murphy backtracked some twenty plus yards into our own penatly box and then still failed to get a tackle in! Simple pass across and goal!...luckily disallowed for off side! Apart from his cracking left foot shot I though Peter was poor throughout the match and I would have liked Pierro to have come on for him sooner. Koyode won lots of headers and although I am not a fan of 'route one' stuff he was doing what was asked of him all the match. I was really biting my nails as we entered 'added on' time but I was really impressed with Cal's coolness and confidence for the penalty. The ref took ages to sort out the players on the edge of the "D" during which one of The Stags subs was trying to bait Cal but he just kept playing 'keepie uppie' and kept his cool!
He despatched the penalty with aplomb! The crowd went bonkers as if we had won!
Praise to the team for keeping it up for the whole 96 minutes once again on a difficult pitch, against a big difficult team.
ON STANLEY ON
sherry likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 23:09   #21
Senior Member+

Choirboy,the left back with the Italian sounding name is 6-4 !!!!,not really your typical fullback
Agree with RR, I am a fan of Piero,would play him every game ,although his goal return is not stand out,he gives us a bit of quality
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 11:39   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
needed to help the defence to contain Clucas. I'm sure James has it all sussed out!
Well we didn't, and he hadn't! Clucas bamboozled 3 of our defenders out on our left before laying on Mansfield's goal. That goal was surely coming after, as JB said himself in his video summary, Cox changed the game with his 3 attacking subs. Why is it always the opposition that does this and not us? 15 minutes into the second half our attacks were going nowhere with Shay puffing and blowing understandably after very little match time, and Hatfield had been ineffective, plus missing a sitter from just in front of goal. I just don't get why JB didn't change things at that stage with Gray, Mingoia, Naismith, Webber and Windass on the bench. We only put their defence under any sustained pressure after we put on the late subs, and the Stag's noisy support suddenly lapsed into nervous silence.
Sure, I'm grateful for the point though it was arguably a lucky one, but we really needed the three with away games next against two teams well in contention for the play offs. JB is doing a great job, but I wish he didn't have such a blind spot as far as subs are concerned.
Rant over!
Revived Red and Pendle Red like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 13:33   #23

A frequently repeated rant - not that I am disagreeing with you.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 14:41   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
A frequently repeated rant - not that I am disagreeing with you.
Frequently repeated reason for rant! OK, I'm keeping schtum from now on.
Chubbyman likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 15:17   #25
God Member

I actually left slightly disappointed not with a point but more the performance we have been very stop start at Home this Season and five home wins tells it's own story for me the set-up away from Home suits us more with containing teams and hitting on the counter attack.

At Home we have seen glimpses of how we can take teams apart with the Chesterfield & Morecambe performances which were both high tempo quick out of the blocks games where we took the game to the opponents other than that we have struggled and I think within the Squad we have the players more than capable of changing our style especially at home.

The plus side is that we are close to the finishing line and League Safety for another season and for that credit to the Staff & Players for turning it around.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 16:33   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Well we didn't, and he hadn't! Clucas bamboozled 3 of our defenders out on our left before laying on Mansfield's goal. That goal was surely coming after, as JB said himself in his video summary, Cox changed the game with his 3 attacking subs. Why is it always the opposition that does this and not us? 15 minutes into the second half our attacks were going nowhere with Shay puffing and blowing understandably after very little match time, and Hatfield had been ineffective, plus missing a sitter from just in front of goal. I just don't get why JB didn't change things at that stage with Gray, Mingoia, Naismith, Webber and Windass on the bench. We only put their defence under any sustained pressure after we put on the late subs, and the Stag's noisy support suddenly lapsed into nervous silence.
Sure, I'm grateful for the point though it was arguably a lucky one, but we really needed the three with away games next against two teams well in contention for the play offs. JB is doing a great job, but I wish he didn't have such a blind spot as far as subs are concerned.
Rant over!
Bit harsh that Redraine,they seemed to get a foothold in the game when they made their subs and went 4-4-2 with a bit of width.
You wonder why they didn't set up that way from the start,and give they big lads crosses rather than flick ons.
for the goal the lad did well,but Joycy didn't track his man who fired it in,which was unfortunate as he had a decent game
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..